MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG

SO I am looking at my currant engine combo for next year and am looking at my expected Mpg and wondering if it might become a issue. What mpg did you guys with the larger/ bigger hp motors getting (looking at you Bucky). I want to go with a new Coyote motor (2011 mustang 5.0) but without a sponsor I can't see a way to pay for it (5k min most likely more)

I didn't realize you were calling me out, my bad..... Ha Ha Ha. The best tank that I got on this Power Tour was 17.3 MPG, and that was all interstate from my house to James (Bishir) house in Pensacola. Once on the power tour, I averaged right around 15 with the worse being 12.8 MPG.

I'm running a Tremec TKO600 with the optioned .64:1 5th gear, so that helps out tremendously. It also depends on how tall your rear tires are, and what gears you plan to run in the rear end. I'm running a 4.10:1, and that's what I put back in once I broke the rear end in Montgomery. Next year I'm hoping to get just a tad better, as I'll be running a slightly taller tire, and a new air intake kit from Spectra....

Here's the one thing to keep in mind, and I'm sure most everyone here on BangShift will agree with me, you don't build a muscle car for fuel mileage. You build it to drive, you build it for fun, and you build it for the Labor of Love.

My two cents.....
    sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
    - George Orwell

Comment

By slightly taller tire, do you mean ones with tread actually on them?
      I R Bob
      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I think I had 1 tank that made it into double digits with a trip average of 9.27 mpg. My worst tank was 7.81 which was when my FINE Holley fuel pump decided to share my unburnt gas with the rest of the free world.

Comment

what do you consider a larger/bigger hp motor? we went to cocoa for the kickoff, the duster got 19 mpg every tank on the highway from nj to miami and back. its a 400BB holley 3310 performer intake small hyd cam and headers, viper t56 and 3.73s. i finished it up and broke the cam in about 10 days before we left so i didnt have a real lot of time to tune it. im not sure if thats what you had in mind, the way things are anything im going to build, mpg is going to be considered if i plan on driving it more than to the local cruise night.
          Last edited by 1931s/x; August 9, 2011, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
            .. my FINE Holley fuel pump decided to share my unburnt gas with the rest of the free world.
            There you go Buckeye, just follow Allen around !
            Last edited by Monster; August 9, 2011, 09:17 AM. Reason: Because I can !

Comment

Originally posted by 1931s/x View Post
              what do you consider a larger/bigger hp motor? we went to cocoa for the kickoff, the duster got 19 mpg every tank on the highway from nj to miami and back. its a 400BB holley 3310 performer intake small hyd cam and headers, viper t56 and 3.73s. i finished it up and broke the cam in about 10 days before we left so i didnt have a real lot of time to tune it. im not sure if thats what you had in mind, the way things are anything im going to build, mpg is going to be considered if i plan on driving it more than to the local cruise night.
              And so is the reality we live in. I can't imagine building a car with a non over drive trans unless it has a 9" and I have at least two ready to run differential assemblie's I can swap out - like a 3.08 and a 4.10 or similar. But I'm a frugal SOB and I'd much rather spend money on things I can hold onto and use than fuel that's here and gone in a few minutes.

There's no reason a small block car can't get close to 20mpg on the highway with a reasonable tune and gears.

Roots blown big block pro street car - well - that's a different story.

I've seen jet changes and timing changes get 30HP on a dyno, and 3 mpg on the road - so don't forget about tuning what you have once you get it on the road and a few miles on it.

Gene's small block malibu was getting around 22 - 23 when he drove it from PA to Detroit for woodward a few years back - he pulled a plug at my shop and it showed on the lean side - but the car ran great - I think he had employed the wire in the emulsion tube trick on the primary metering block to improve cruise fuel economy... and it worked. But the thing still did a healthy burn out leaving my place headed for the cruise!
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
                By slightly taller tire, do you mean ones with tread actually on them?
                Yes, the tires that I'm putting on Jade actually have tread on them...... I'm not sure how she's going to handle that change.... Ha Ha Ha!!!
                sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                - George Orwell

Comment

When I built my truck I decided to go for reasonable performance and max mileage. This power tour I averaged just under 25 mpg. So I run a 5.3 vortec, truck version of LS1 engine. Flex fuel capable, w/ 4L60e, 3.25 rearend Best mileage = 27.2 for 45 laps at Watkins Glen during EcoChallenge this spring. My green 58 Fleetside vs electro and X Prize cars. Only street rod in the bunch. So, if you can find a wrecked late model either Chevy or Ford (well, maybe a Ford) you can build a really efficient PT Cruizer (sorry for the pun). But seriously, this can be done at a reasonable cost.

Comment

millerd - did you use the factory PCM and calibration in your truck?

nicely done regardless. I've got to imagine though your truck is no aerodynamic masterpiece - it's a helofalot lighter than a new one.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Back in '99 I took my big block '69 Camaro on 3 legs of the PT. The best mileage I got was about 8.5MPG and the worst I got was 73 miles out of a 16.5 gallon tank. The 73 mile tank was all highway with the hammer down about 70% of the time

In '06 I took my LS1 GTO and got around 24MPG combined driving (about 3400+ miles for the entire round trip), and that was even including some extended late night 130+ MPH runs on the way to the kickoff, and my short highspeed sprint, during PT, in VA which got me a nice court summons
                      Last edited by Northeast Rod Run; August 9, 2011, 02:11 PM.
                      1999 Power Tour - 3 Stops
                      2006 Power Tour Long Hauler
                      2008-2012 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

Bucky I am most defiantly building the car for fun and performance but Mpg still needs to be considered. It looks like I will be in similar area to many so not so bad. I am looking a swapping to a roller cam and adding fast ez-efi as well as specture air cleaner that pulls from the cowl for cooler air (well till we get to Texas I guess ) I expect as is for it to be in the 12-15mpg but I hape to get it up to 18-20 so I have to stop less ........... and have more beer money
                        Last edited by Buckeye; August 9, 2011, 03:50 PM.

Comment

I have a aprox 300 hp in my 63 Falcon.I am running a 90 model AOD with 8in 3.00 rear gear.At 70 mph I am running 1900 rpm and getting 20 mpg with air on.I have upgraded my gas tank from 12 gallons to a 20 gallon .When I built my car I wanted it to be Highway friendly ,not out run any one from red light to red light.
                          Danny/Zachary
                          HRPT '08 LH, '09 Days 6 & 7, '10 LH

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                            millerd - did you use the factory PCM and calibration in your truck?

nicely done regardless. I've got to imagine though your truck is no aerodynamic masterpiece - it's a helofalot lighter than a new one.
                            My truck was weighed before and after running the EcoChallenge/2011 Green Grand Prix (see results documenting 27.2 mpg at http://www.greengrandprix.com/rally%...0sheet2011.pdf ) to establish mpg for the 45 laps. Truck was about 4600 lbs, not exactly a lightweight, but somewhat lighter than today's longbed V8 Silverado, I believe. It is, as you say no aerodynamic wonder. Uses factory PCM, we did little more than re-calibrate for tires (255/50/17) took off the rev limiter, dialed out the rear cats, cool air intake, and so on. Overdrive and the 3.25 Currie Ford rear, plus I don't really get on it =s pretty good mileage. I've got 26K on her, she's quick once she gets going. It's all about trade-offs I guess. Given gas prices, it's what I had to do to be able to afford the PTs. My best regards and total respect to all Power Tourians, David

Comment

The Judge usually does very well. I averaged 16.9 this year on pt, with a best of 18.9 on the way to Buckys house, and a worst of 9.8 while racing James out of Nashville Its not a dragstrip terror, but it will hold its own and is has a CARB!!!! Shocking, I know, but I stuck to the k.i.s.s theory, (Keep It Simple Stupid), and it works.
                              HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                              DW- 12,16,17
                              "Stay thirsty my friends"
                              The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Working...
                              X