Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida

Finally, a true map of Florida that explains this weird, but wonderful state.
    Those of you who live in Florida will recognize it, and those who don't, have been warned !!!

YOU KNOW YOU'RE A FLORIDIAN IF ....

Socks are only for bowling.

You never use an umbrella because the rain will be over in five minutes.

A good parking place has nothing to do with distance from the store, but everything to do with shade.

Your winter coat is made of denim.

You can tell the difference between fire ant bites and mosquito bites.

Many of your friends are over 65.

Anything under 70 degrees is chilly.

You've driven through Yeehaw Junction.

You know that no other grocery store can compare to Publix.

You know that anything under a Category 3 just isn't worth waking up for.

You dread love bug season.

You are on a first name basis with the Hurricane list.. they aren't Hurricane Charles or Hurricane Frances. You know them as Andy, Charlie, Frank, Ivan, Jeanne, Wilma, Irene, Cheryl, Rita, Mary & Alison.

You know what a snowbird is and when they'll leave.

You think a six-foot alligator is actually pretty average.

'Down South' means Key West

Flip-flops are everyday wear. Shoes are for business meetings and church, but you HAVE worn flip flops to church before.

You have a drawer full of bathing suits, and one sweatshirt.

You get annoyed at the tourists who feed seagulls.

A mountain is any hill 100 feet above sea level.

You know the four seasons are really: Hurricane season, Love Bug season, Tourist season and Summer.

You've hosted a hurricane party.

You can pronounce Okeechobee, Kissimmee, Withlacoochee, Thonotosassa and Micanopy.

You understand why it's better to have a friend with a boat, than have a boat yourself.

You were 25 when you first met someone who couldn't swim.

You've worn shorts and used the A/C on Christmas and New Years.

You recognize Miami-Dade as 'Northern Cuba'.

You not only forward this but you understand it.
    Last edited by Monster; August 15, 2011, 08:53 AM.

one correction - a hill is anything over 50' above sea level. for example, directions to my house include...."go around the big bend and when you get to the top of the hill, take a left onto Bedford Rd."
    Last edited by cobra; August 15, 2011, 09:18 AM.
    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster View Post
      A mountain is any hill 100 feet above sea level.
      Originally posted by cobra View Post
      one correction - a hill is anything over 50' above sea level. for example, directions to my house include...."go around the big bend and when you get to the top of the hill, take a left onto Bedford Rd."
      No problem with your definition of a hill, but mine was a definition of a Mountain !

Comment

Northern Cuba..........that's great!
        I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Doesn't appear to have changed much since I left in '85.

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
          Northern Cuba..........that's great!
          Take a left on Calle Ocho, which is 8th street for us. Great food down there though if you know what to order.
          "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

No problem with your definition of a hill, but mine was a definition of a Mountain !
            DOH! missed the mountain part
            Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by Orange95Z View Post
              Doesn't appear to have changed much since I left in '85.

Take a left on Calle Ocho, which is 8th street for us. Great food down there though if you know what to order.

some of the best cuban food are in tiny out of the way places you would never guess where worth a damn.
              Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                some of the best cuban food are in tiny out of the way places you would never guess where worth a damn.
                I gotta agree with Bruce, even in my "Northern" town, we have the awesome Havana Cuba Restaurant, which offers authentic Cuban fare, such as;

Pollo a la Parilla (Grilled Chicken Breast with onions & Mojo Criollo)
                Picadillo (Ground Beef Creole)
                Vaca Frita (Shredded Flank Steak with grilled onions)
                Bistec Empanizano (Breaded Steak)
                Masas de Puerco Frita (Fried Pork Chunks)
                Palomilla Steak (Classic Palomilla Steak sauteed with herbs)
                Pollo Salteado (Shredded Chicken in red sauce)
                Lechon Asado (Pork Steaks with herb sauce)
                Ropa Vieja (Shredded flank Steak in red sauce)
                Fricase de Pollo (Chicken in red sauce)
                Arroz con Pollo (Chicken with yellow rice)
                Vegetarian Delight (Black Beans & Rice, Yuca, Plantains & Salad)

In a town where the most multi-cultured offering is the drink-around-the-world-club, the Havana Cuba restaurant is the real thing. Cuban owners Juan and Susana and Susana’s sister Teresita run the whole operation, located at 210 N. Woodland Blvd. Juan cooks all the food fresh and authentic, and Teresita serves it up along with a big portion of friendliness and conversation.

The atmosphere is family-like and fun and, most importantly, the food is delicious. Anyone who complains about the Commons having no flavor needs to come here. However, flavor does not mean spicy. For those who like spicy, there are extra sauces on the table, made locally here in DeLand.

Havana Cuba also has a large variety. In addition to the entrees (most about $7.95), there are sandwiches (including famous Cuban sandwich, $4.50), desserts (also homemade by Juan), tropical shakes (batidos), delicious frozen coffee (cafe chada), and Sangria, made from a recipe of Juan’s great-grandmother.

Sisters Joy and Jen Carney (a communication studies major and a Master’s of English candidate, respectively) visit Havana Cuba at least once a week. "Everything is good here, and it’s all homemade," said Jan Carney. Her favorite is probably the tamale especial which comes with black beans, Cuban bread and your choice of plantains or yuca.

In fact, all the entrees are large enough that you never leave hungry. The sandwiches are also great for something fast (five minutes tops) "unless you’re like us and sit here forever" said Joy Carney.

Besides the most popular dishes, like Pollo Salteado and Polo a la Parilla there’s also a vegetarian offering, and of course the desserts: Flan, Guava, Key Lime Pie and Tres Leches (3 milks). And for something to drink: the usual, plus Cuban soda, Guava nectar and, of course, the famous Sangria (really yummy).

"The most important thing is the atmosphere," said the Carneys. Sometimes it’s really busy and sometimes quiet. But it’s always friendly, and the walls are filled with Cuban art and newspaper clippings.

Did I tell you all that I really love food ?
                Last edited by Monster; August 16, 2011, 10:00 AM.

Comment

You have way to much time on your hand.
                  Longhauler 2009,2011
                  Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

Comment

black beans & rice are a common food of latin countries, but Cuban bb&r are by far the best. i can munch on a good cuban sandwich anytime. and fried plantains.....mmmmm. i can do cuban food anytime.
                    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

You guys are making me hungry.
                      I R Bob
                      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

this thread got me so hungery yesterday, that i had to go to the local cuban watering hole and chow down on bb&r, plantains and roast chicken.
                        my tummy is happy.
                        Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by 65 mustang View Post
                          You have way to much time on your hands.
                          Yep, been retired since 2005 and loving every second of it !

Comment

Working...
                          X