Car Security on the PT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Security on the PT?

First time PTer and I'm going all in for the long haul. I'm trying to put together rooms (yeah I know it's late) and I'm having some luck with most of the stops so far. However, a lot of the places I'm finding are *ahem* affordable if you know what I mean. Not knowing the cities or the areas where these hotels are located I'm just a tad concerned about how secure my car is going to be each night. I'm trying to talk the wife into staying up all night and watching the car and then I'll let her sleep while I drive. She isn't really digging this idea at all. So are the cars safe or what?

Re: Car Security on the PT?

In my experience last year, there were so many cars at all the hotels, the security was good. I think the hotels made an extra effort for us.
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

we had similar concerns last year(being newbs),has no trouble at all.Memphis concerned us a little,but again all was well.We were sure not to leave anything in car of value,dropped air ride on the frame(no way to get wheels off,or a jack under!) and I have a battery disconnect out of sight to kill power just as piece of mind. ;)

Comment

I had concerns last year with the 29 being a rag top and a flimsey cover over the box and we had no problems. i did install a master disconnect under the seat. There was one person we talked to had a newer truck 2000. that his cargo box and truck was broken into. It was parked in a secure lot. Insure the crap out of them, and hope for the best.

Comment

No problems on last years tour, and I have a vert too.
          It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

at a couple of the hotels we were at there was some of the PT people staying up REAL late out in the parking lot enjoying themselves with some types of drinks. the only reason my alarm went off late at night is from those guys checking out the car. that's not counting you allen. ;D my alarm has a pager feature on it so i would get woken up at night because of that, but if they want to look that's fine.

Comment

Check out the list where other "freaks" are staying and try to book rooms at those hotels. Some hotels will offer security but that doesn't always work out. In Birmingham in 05 there was an SS Monte Carlo taken sometime after the security guard got off and before 6am. > The best advice would be to not leave valuables in the car and have some sort of disconnect or hidden fuel switch. That said, get those rooms booked and have a good time! :D

Cheaps 8)

Comment

There are sooooo many cars on the tour the odds of YOURS oR mine being broken into are somewhere in the Thousands. Not saying they won't, but just don't leave anything valuable laying on your seat. Having a pistol or baseball bat in your hotel room helps. Not paranoid but I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. On the other hand There are so many eyes on the parking lot because every is thinking the same thing there usually isn't aproblem.

Comment

i too tend towards the ...um, more reasonably priced establishments and on three tours, have never had a problem (knock on wood). i look for places near the interstate and in areas where there are a group of hotels. following the advice as listed above is smart also. the harder it is to steal, the less likely it will be messed with because there is a easier one to hit up the street.
                  Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

always park by cars that are more sought after by theves ;D ;D The one place in 05 concerned me, but if i'm concerned, so is everybody and we all sleep with one eye open!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1cheapstreet
                      Check out the list where other "freaks" are staying and try to book rooms at those hotels. Some hotels will offer security but that doesn't always work out. In Birmingham in 05 there was an SS Monte Carlo taken sometime after the security guard got off and before 6am. > The best advice would be to not leave valuables in the car and have some sort of disconnect or hidden fuel switch. That said, get those rooms booked and have a good time! :D

Cheaps 8)
                      Heard of one(black monte ss owned by a policeman in New York state that got stolen in Nashville in '05) possibly the same one?

Comment

Cheaps 8)
                        thought that turned out to be a scam............... never heard either way. last i heard tho!
                        you and ken were there...as were matt and i; not the greatest situation....... thought they would have took the SHELBY; YOU KNOW SOMETHING VALUABLE!! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierGTA

Cheaps 8)
                          Heard of one(black monte ss owned by a policeman in New York state that got stolen in Nashville in '05) possibly the same one?
                          That was in B-HAM '05. same one; same story.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEE
                            Originally posted by HoosierGTA

Cheaps 8)
                            That was in B-HAM '05. same one; same story.
                            Was parked within 20' of them in nashville had started problems and the G.M medics got them going.Hear the next day it was stolen .Talked with them quite awhile,very nice people.Always hoped it was just a rumur.Car was also very nice .Had just finished it.

Comment

There is usually someone up late and keeping an eye on things that way. In Memphis last year we chipped in with some other car owners for an off duty cop but maybe that was overkill. It was cheap with a lot of us involved. Our car is a convertible also and we have never experienced any problems.
                              Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Working...
                              X