Choices????? Man I hate choices!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choices????? Man I hate choices!!

Well I have finally sat down and put pen to paper along with the old calculator and perform the dreaded gas cost of the long haul for me this year! I was bored at work tonight!!!!LOL!!! I am still thrashing away on the Monte SS Aerocoupe and I got the motor almost together but I started thinking about gas again which lead to this ordeal, so here are the numbers.

96 Impala SS = 24 mpg even with all the mods to motor 5 time long haul car!
    87 Buick GN= 22mpg when no boost and last years long haul car
    87 Monte Aerocoupe= 16 mpg at least thats what it got 3 years ago when running.
    66 Plymouth Satellite= Lots of cool factor with 440 bb and 3.55's Averages about 9mpg

I will drive a minimum of 2250 miles roundtrip this year not knowing the daily routes this is an estimate.

The cost per car assuming 3.80 for 91 octance which will probably be low by tour time!

Impala: $353
    Buick: $391
    Monte: $532
    Satellite: Forget it!!!

To me the choice is clear since at these prices but I still have to work it out in my head! The Impala has been a great long haul car but has been beat on many times for the long haul. The luxuries of the car are great with the stereo/tv and all. I may end up with the Buford again this year if I can get the clutch replaced on the a/c compressor in time. Like I said CHOICES!!!!! Arghhh!

Re: Choices????? Man I hate choices!!

Hey at least you got them! ;D The only way my wagon would make the trip this year is on a flatbed! ;D
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by blktie96ss
      Well I have finally sat down and put pen to paper along with the old calculator and perform the dreaded gas cost of the long haul for me this year! I was bored at work tonight!!!!LOL!!! I am still thrashing away on the Monte SS Aerocoupe and I got the motor almost together but I started thinking about gas again which lead to this ordeal, so here are the numbers.

96 Impala SS = 24 mpg even with all the mods to motor 5 time long haul car!
      87 Buick GN= 22mpg when no boost and last years long haul car
      87 Monte Aerocoupe= 16 mpg at least thats what it got 3 years ago when running.
      66 Plymouth Satellite= Lots of cool factor with 440 bb and 3.55's Averages about 9mpg

I will drive a minimum of 2250 miles roundtrip this year not knowing the daily routes this is an estimate.

The cost per car assuming 3.80 for 91 octance which will probably be low by tour time!

Impala: $353
      Buick: $391
      Monte: $532
      Satellite: Forget it!!!

To me the choice is clear since at these prices but I still have to work it out in my head! The Impala has been a great long haul car but has been beat on many times for the long haul. The luxuries of the car are great with the stereo/tv and all. I may end up with the Buford again this year if I can get the clutch replaced on the a/c compressor in time. Like I said CHOICES!!!!! Arghhh!
      what choice
      The Satelitte second the GN
      my choices are my Lincoln about 12 mpg and great fun factor or 2000 trans am convertible goor mpg & air
      LINCOLN no doubt

only once a year bite the bullet
      2007 Power Tour Long Haul
      2008 Power Tour Long Haul
      2009 Canadian Points East Tour
      2009 Power Tour Michigan Stop
      2011 Power Tour Muskegeon & Detroit Stops
      2012 Power Tour Long Haul
      2012 Northeast Rod Run
      2013 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning
        The only way my wagon would make the trip this year is on a flatbed!
        That is funny and I'm glad you still have a sense of humor, but I hear you ...

Comment

My 29 chevy truck averaged 13 miles per gallon last year. The cost of gas was over $800. I am hoping the 46 will be ready to go. Glass is being installed now. I am hoping with 2.89 gears and a 305 it will get at least 20 mpg. Both would be cool. The 29 sure got a lot of looks. Gas this year, the 29 around $685 and the 46 around 442. The 46 will get finished.

Comment

I figured gas at $4 per gal. Traveling about 2000 miles at 27 miles per gallon, I should spend about $300 on gas.
            It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Satellite or Buick.
              Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Guys, thanks for this post. This really helps my planning. Being a first timer I wasn't sure what to expect.

24 mpg with the Impala is really good. Better than I anticipated honestly. Maybe I will keep the LT1 I transplanted into my Monte SS after all

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Solsticefun
                  I figured gas at $4 per gal. Traveling about 2000 miles at 27 miles per gallon, I should spend about $300 on gas.
                  Be careful Jim, the vets are cunning and will notice you should have plenty of funding available for 'adult beverages'. ;D
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Last year we budgeted $4.00 for high octane and with it pushing $3.80 a gallon already around here, I'd budget more like $4.50-$4.75 a gallon. We did see $3.89 last year around Chicago, so I think $4.00 is too conservative. :P Sorry to burst anyone's bubble. :

Having had a newer SS Impala, my vote is for it or the GN. ;)

Cheaps 8)

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr
                      Be careful Jim, the vets are cunning and will notice you should have plenty of funding available for 'adult beverages'. ;D
                      you're to late ed, we've already seen he's going to have extra money. we know he can't buy any souvenirs because he's got no room to put the stuff. so that means more drinks. :o ;D i also planned $4 per gallon and now i'm thinking that's going to be to low. :'(

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopZ28
                        Originally posted by oletrux4evr
                        you're to late ed, we've already seen he's going to have extra money. we know he can't buy any souvenirs because he's got no room to put the stuff. so that means more drinks. :o ;D i also planned $4 per gallon and now i'm thinking that's going to be to low. :'(
                        OOh, I didn't think about that! ;D
                        It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

another concern is whether the car takes regular or premium. i'm hoping to take the 83' mustang with 5.0 and aod and 3:75's. it can run on regular, but got 12mpg last time out. hoping the new carb will put it where it should be. i'll find out this weekend on it's shakedown cruise. if this doesn't work out, i can fall back on my 88' GT which will get 24mpg with a/c, but prefers the high grade stuff.
                          Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

I would be thinking $5 a gallon just to be on the safe side. Also take into consideration that you may be dealing with traffic jams on main roads. I couldn't tell you how many roads I was on last year that was under construction and stuck for 20-30 minutes at a crawl. Add into the mix side trips that you will be making.

To be on the safe side, be sure to take plastic money!! ;D
                            2006 HRPT LH
                            2007 HRPT LH
                            2011 Valdosta Stop

Comment

Originally posted by LadyGT
                              I would be thinking $5 a gallon just to be on the safe side. Also take into consideration that you may be dealing with traffic jams on main roads. I couldn't tell you how many roads I was on last year that was under construction and stuck for 20-30 minutes at a crawl. Add into the mix side trips that you will be making.

To be on the safe side, be sure to take plastic money!! ;D
                              ......with lots of room on it. ;D
                              Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Working...
                              X