3rd Bangshift Spring Blooms Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Bangshift Spring Blooms Tour

OK, we finished the Blue Ridge Parkway, so we can no longer call it BRPT.
    We were hanging around the room Saturday night and Glenn got us talking about were we want to go in April. We discussed Skyline drive. Seems they have nice views and plenty of rest stops/food stops along the way. There also was a suggestion to take a picnic lunch/grill for along the way. However, it does cost $10.00 to get on it (irrelavant to me compared to what my gas bill is).
    Another suggestion was the Tail-of-the Dragon. Also Biltmore in Ashville.

So lets hear:
    1) Where do you want to go?
    2) Is the last weekend in April good with everyone?
    3) What do we call it now?
    Last edited by Monster; November 8, 2011, 12:21 PM.
    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

I won't be able to go but I can recommend the Biltmore Mansion - I loved that tour - not enough time in one day to see it all but it was great.
    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
      OK, we finished the Blue Ridge Parkway, so we can no longer call it BRPT.
      What do we call it now?
      Well, since it is conceived, organized and attended by those on this board, why not ...

The Forum Freaks Tour Fest series !!!

The next one could be FFTF #6 at Skyline Drive.

One good report ...

Originally posted by novadriver View Post
      Skyline was an awesome ride - 4 hours start to finish and way better sights then what was on the Blue Ridge. Plenty of places to stop, a few bathrooms and gas pumps along the way. Theres even a Restaurant at the half-way point.
      Last edited by Monster; October 24, 2011, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Here are some Pic's From Skyline. Alot of turns and the speed limit is only 35mph the whole way.

Comment

I was actually thinking about doing a Skyline trip next year, starting at the southern end and maybe checking out the caverns when I got to the top
          Last edited by Northeast Rod Run; October 24, 2011, 06:01 PM.
          1999 Power Tour - 3 Stops
          2006 Power Tour Long Hauler
          2008-2012 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

We hit the Car muesum sun morning and it was great. Some of us were talking if we did the Skyline thing we could see if the Muesum could try to host a cruise in Fri night so maybe some locals would come out as well. Just some ideas The caverns after would be a neat thing as well.

Comment

I'm geeking out with maps & info for the Shenandoah National Park Drive for Skyline Drive.
              novadriver , Classicbern1, Russ & I drove up the route, it was a good 4 hour drive, we figure with lunch & the extra stops it would be 6 to 7 hours ? I found a good bunch of info about the area. will post it later
              So. Central PA
              Long Hauler 2010 & 2011 (2 stops 2014) 2015

NERR 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Northeast Rod Run View Post
                I was actually thinking about doing a Skyline trip next year, starting at the southern end and maybe checking out the caverns when I got to the top
                i'll get you some info, also need to PM you... Will be in touch later
                So. Central PA

Comment

I would be all on top of a spring tour hitting the tail of the dragon and the cherohala skyway, you can easily do both in one day, only 120 miles total, there might even be some time for a couple runs up and down the tail just for the fun of it too...

http://www.cherohala.com/index.html

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

http://www.moonshiner28.com/

here is a map of some of the area that i think would be a great loop

Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

Originally posted by Vsolo View Post
                    I'm geeking out with maps & info for the Shenandoah National Park Drive for Skyline Drive.
                    novadriver , Classicbern1, Russ & I drove up the route, it was a good 4 hour drive, we figure with lunch & the extra stops it would be 6 to 7 hours ? I found a good bunch of info about the area. will post it later
                    i'll get you some info, also need to PM you... Will be in touch later
                    I've been on there once before and I've been pulling info for it for the last couple of years, because at one point I was almost going to try to take NERR there for the 5 year anniversary, but it wasn't really in the northeast so I had to kill that idea.
                    1999 Power Tour - 3 Stops
                    2006 Power Tour Long Hauler
                    2008-2012 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

Originally posted by Northeast Rod Run View Post
                      I've been on there once before and I've been pulling info for it for the last couple of years, because at one point I was almost going to try to take NERR there for the 5 year anniversary, but it wasn't really in the northeast so I had to kill that idea.
                      Humm it is Northeast of Tennessee
                      Well if we go you're invited (opps I keep forgetting your an another 8 hours North of me)
                      We'll see if the gang does Skyline or TotD, in the Spring. My vote is for Skyline.
                      So. Central PA

Comment

I say lets lets do skyline drive
                        Friday Get the sometime about 3 tour the museum and spend the night somewhere in waynesboro
                        Saturday drive the Skyline Drive and maybe tour the Caverns
                        Sunday go home
                        The youngest guy on the board
                        76 vega
                        86 fiero

Comment

Humm it is Northeast of Tennessee
                          Well if we go you're invited (opps I keep forgetting your an another 8 hours North of me)
                          We'll see if the gang does Skyline or TotD, in the Spring. My vote is for Skyline.
                          our run is 11 to 12 hours to Waynesboro and probably another 3 or 4 extra from the other end. no excuses....it's only time
                          Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by 64casteel View Post
                            I say lets lets do skyline drive
                            Friday Get the sometime about 3 tour the museum and spend the night somewhere in waynesboro
                            Saturday drive the Skyline Drive and maybe tour the Caverns
                            Sunday go home
                            i wouldn't mind doing this. the Quality Inn was fine, and would be cheaper i imagine, in the spring. and then we could do the tail in the fall. first time we stumbled onto the tail, we started in cherekee, across to pigion forge, along foothills parkway, down the dragon and back to the ashville area.
                            Last edited by cobra; October 25, 2011, 03:09 PM.
                            Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                              i wouldn't mind doing this. the Quality Inn was fine, and would be cheaper i imagine, in the spring. and then we could do the tail in the fall. first time we stumbled onto the tail, we started in cherekee, across to pigion forge, along foothills parkway, down the dragon and back to the ashville area.
                              OooOOO good idea, for the Fall too
                              I checked the price in the spring at the Quality Inn in Waynesboro & Front Royal, both have decent ratings & yes the price is lower
                              Last edited by Vsolo; October 25, 2011, 03:31 PM.
                              So. Central PA

Comment

Working...
                              X