What To Do On Tour 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What To Do On Tour 2012

OK Local's share some of the secret gems along the way. Local eateries, Points of interest, Junk Yards (I mean Vintage Tin Collection Area), Museums, etc, etc.....
    While in Stillwater we want to make Eskimo Joe's. St. Louis we would like to go to Chain of Rocks Bridge. Share your ideas......
    200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
    Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Darryl Starbird's museum is located South of Miami, Oklahoma near Afton. Might be a player on what seems to be a leisurely drive to Stillwater.

Last edited by oletrux4evr; December 29, 2011, 08:07 PM.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Good call Ed, I would like to see Darryl Starbirds. Thank you to American Graffitti, if not for Toad's comment, I may have never known about Darryl Starbird.......
      This might even be better than Darryl Starbird's superfeck moonbird.
      It is! It's better than Darryl Starbird's superfeck moonbird.
      Budda?
      How'd you like to go to the drive-in movies with me?
      200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
      Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Chain of Rocks bridge, went there on the Illinois side, which they recommend, actually a little north of St Louis. I didn't find Ted Drewes frozen custard, which I got to try this time through. I want to try and get to Detroit area a day or two earlier to go to the Ford, Chrysler or Chevy museums. Hmmm, I'm sure there's more I want to see...
        Dannie
        2010 Camaro SS
        Long Haul 2010/2011
        Power Tour 2012 (Stillwater/Arlington/Optima Face Off)

Comment

George, Thanks for getting this started.

There is the Precious Moments Museum in Carthage, MO for the ladies. If we make the run on US 50 through MO there are wineries out the wazoo that are not too far from that route!! Even going straight down I-44 there are still a few along the way. As for vintage tin there are several great yards but they are a little off the beaten path. I-44 Exit 230 is Meramec Caverns, Jesse James' hideout. Fort Leonard Wood has an excellent indoor and outdoor military museum including a few WWII buildings that still remain. The base entrance is only 2 miles from the interstate. I am sure I will think of some other things that might interest different people.

And of course when you are passing through Springfield don't forget to make a stop at the Silverleaf Tap Room.
          Last edited by 69SS 350 5 Speed; December 30, 2011, 05:34 AM.
          Jim & Maureen
          There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
          HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

I got inducted at Ft Leonard Wood and were still using them WWII bldgs!!
            Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

One issue I had with the Power Tour was for me, as a lone driver, I was usually too beat to enjoy the local fair. I'd get up in the morning have a motel breakfast, drive four hours to the next venue. Stopping for lunch somewhere. I'd wander the venue for a few hours, locate my motel for the day, hang out there, find a place to eat then crash for the day/night just to do the same the next day. It started to get like "Groundhog Day" after a while. You do get to see some nice sceneries along the way and nice cars at the venues, but I'm not as young as I used to be and the long days start getting to me.

Comment

Don't forget we're doing Mexican night somewhere along the route. Maybe we'll get some free drinks for putting on a car show the parking lot!
                I R Bob
                You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

The Gilmore Car Museum between Detroit and Muskegon.
                  Cleve
                  Cape May, NJ
                  2006LH 2007LH 2012LH
                  There's no such thing as "Too much Power", only too little traction.

Comment

Originally posted by pappyhemi View Post
                    thats in Hickory Corners not far from Kalamazoo
                    2007 Power Tour Long Haul
                    2008 Power Tour Long Haul
                    2009 Canadian Points East Tour
                    2009 Power Tour Michigan Stop
                    2011 Power Tour Muskegeon & Detroit Stops
                    2012 Power Tour Long Haul
                    2012 Northeast Rod Run
                    2013 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

Originally posted by pappyhemi View Post
                      Originally posted by 55lincoln View Post
                      thats in Hickory Corners not far from Kalamazoo
                      That is between Detroit and Muskegon...in a round about sort of way
                      Donna
                      Williamston, MI
                      Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

Whenever I participate in a PT, I usually contact each venue's chamber of commerce and ask them to send me information about their city. Information received has invaluable information like a map of the area, points of interest, restaurant info, as well as locations of other hotels if mine is not satisfactory. Having this information sure makes my trip a lot easier.
                        Last edited by LadyGT; January 2, 2012, 05:58 AM.
                        2006 HRPT LH
                        2007 HRPT LH
                        2011 Valdosta Stop

Comment

For the NASCAR fans, I believe there will be a Camping World truck series race on Friday June 8th. It's only about 45 minutes from Arlington to Texas Motor Speedway(depending on traffic). If you get there early enough you may be able to see the IRL practice(if they are there)? Make sure and get the cheapest seats available as you will be able to sit most anywhere you want.

Comment

Mike Copeland posted this on the General Discussion board - good stuff

Originally posted by Mike Copeland View Post
                            If people are interested, I would offer that it could be held on Friday June 1st in Michigan. I would be willing to open up my new 16,000 sqft shop at Diversified Creations for the party. June 2nd is the official start of the Power Tour, and we are less than 8 miles from the Milford Proving Grounds where it is starting. Many Bangshifters will already be in town for the Power Tour, and looking for something to do on Friday night.

It would be easy to ship anything in needed for the music instead of hauling it across the country. If someone wanted to fly in for the weekend, they could do this party, and the first day of the Power Tour.

Add that we are planning to open the Lingenfelter Collection up during the day on Friday the 1st, an you can fill your weekend with car-guy stuff pretty easy.
                            nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by >>>>head View Post
                              Mike Copeland posted this on the General Discussion board - good stuff
                              if you see anything else on this, can you keep us posted?....or, maybe he can re-post here on the PT board?....maybe we could hit that after we do a VA cruise (if we do one)......
                              Last edited by rexdogg; January 12, 2012, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X