Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Topeka, Kansas Monday, June 9 What do to??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topeka, Kansas Monday, June 9 What do to??

Locals
    Anything going on here?
    Has the Tour Been Here Before?
    Drag Strip??
    Is this the night When do we go to Bed Early?

Re: Topeka, Kansas Monday, June 9 What do to??

Heartland park is a drag strip and raceway. Don't know if either will be open for use. Other than that I would move on to the next city. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 1956NY150
      Locals
      Anything going on here?
      Drag Strip??
      Bob, you're not going to bed early! : I'm trying to find somewhere for the freaks to get together other that the hotel parking lot. I'll keep you posted.

Cheaps 8)

Comment

Originally posted by 1cheapstreet
        Originally posted by 1956NY150
        Locals
        Anything going on here?
        Drag Strip??
        Bob, you're not going to bed early! : I'm trying to find somewhere for the freaks to get together other that the hotel parking lot. I'll keep you posted.

Cheaps 8)
        what hotel are you staying at there is a wal mart parking lot not far from most of the hotels that some good places to eat at it

Comment

As per Paul Cartwright of Heartland Park Topeka, Hot Rod has control of the track for the day. There will be drag racing for official participants of the Power Tour from 1 pm to 5 pm. This facility is absolutely enormous (about 680 acres) and there is plenty of room for everyone.

Topeka is one of the largest small towns you will find. The people here are friendly and easy to get along with. Lake Shawnee is a place large enough to accommodate a large group of hot rodders with lots of parking and picnic areas and a nice scenic road around the lake for cruising. You can get there by going north from Heartland Park on Topeka Boulevard to 37th Street and then going east on 37th Street until your hat floats!

Night life in Topeka on a Monday leaves a bit to be desired... However, there are a couple of GREAT barbeque joints to choose from. Boss Hawgs offers some fantastic BBQ as well as the best baked beans I have ever had. They are located at 2833 SE 29th (North from Heartland Park on Topeka Boulevard to 29th Street and then west about a mile on the north side of 29th) in the Brookwood Shopping Center. You can reach them at 785-273-7300 or check out their website: http://www.bosshawgsbbq.com/

Another top notch BBQ joint is Pat's Pig. Located at 5900 S. Topeka Boulevard, they are just about a minute north of Heartland Park and offer some fantastic ribs as well as incredible sandwiches. Don't be fooled if it looks like the place is full from the front. There is PLENTY of parking in the rear. Right next door is Juniors Grill and Bar with a couple great pool tables and frosty barley pop as well as a great menu! Say hello to Mel (she is a hottie!)

I am working to get a fantastic local blues band, Josh Vowell and the Rumble, to have a gig at The Down Under on south Topeka Boulevard on June 9. Josh is one of the best blues guitarists I have ever seen and lays down some of the hottest licks around on his Stratocaster. Check ‘em out at http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=308914667 Click on their song “Floor It” and enjoy!

I will be returning from the NMCA race at Atco, New Jersey on the afternoon of the 9th and will be in attendance at Heartland Park as soon as I get back. I hope to see all of you there!!!

Ron

It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

thanks Ron - this is very helpful ;D
            a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

I will probably nurseing my hangover from Sunday night............from 65 Marlins
              Living the dream!

Comment

What no directions to your house Ron???? LOL

Comment

there used to be some good strip clubs down the street from the track
                  and a airplane museum also

Comment

Topeka was once famous (infamous?) for its number of gentlemen's clubs. Once rated number 2 in the U.S. per capita in strip clubs, the number has dwindled to only 5 (that I know of) still operating in the Capital City.

The Combat Air Museum is located right across the street (Gary Ormbsby Drive) from Heartland Park Topeka. I have never personally been there (I have, however been to every one of the strip clubs... ) but I hear it is a great place to check out.

Just an FYI, the Down Under Lounge is closed on Mondays, so Josh and the band are looking for a different venue to satisfy the musical needs of the Power Tour participants.

Ron
                    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Did you count the SASNAK Ron? Dont know whether that would qualify as a gentlemens club.Nasty,nasty,nasty!

Comment

There is another 1 just a couple miles down from the venue on US 75 (Baby Dolls I think).

Comment

Ok, guys and gals, here's the deal.

After conversing with Cliff Cormier (an old hot rodding buddy turned bartender) it seems THE party is going to be at the Whiplash Bar & Grill in Topeka. Located at 21st and California (go north on Topeka Boulevard to 21st Street from Heartland Park and then east to California) the place offers plenty of parking, great food and a fun atmosphere. Cliff is currently working on a 31(?) Ford among other projects and has been a gearhead for as long as I can remember. When you get there, ask him about his V8 Vega.

Don, yes, I did count the SASNAK.... I haven't been there for years (20 maybe?) but it is still open and they still have their hotdog special, from what I understand. Enter at your own risk..... (ACK!)

Ron

Comment

I chatted at length with the owner of the Whiplash, Kim, and she told me she would have an adjacent lot mowed for additional parking for anyone who would like to hang out. Also, the beer deck will be open for enjoying the outdoors with your barley pop. Check 'em out at www.whiplashbar.com

Ron

Comment

i'll have to follow some one

Comment

Working...
                              X