I'm glad it broke now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm glad it broke now!

Friday the 13th struck. I was going to take the Stang out for a cruise, maybe go to Sonic for lunch. I backed out of the driveway then began to head out and I stomped the throttle just because... I heard the tire spin for a second then a loud bang and the engine revved but the car slowed. I coasted to a stop and could tell the rear differential had just self destructed. I pushed it back in the garage and pulled it apart. The spider gears broke!

This was a junkyard diff I put in right before the PT last year, it is a 2.50:1 and I averaged 16 mpg with it so I planned to run it again. Ring and pinion look okay, I guess I'll swap the 3.70's out from my good diff.
    Fortunately I was at home when I broke it and not in a hotel parking lot far from home like some one we know...
    Married to Tara, that makes me the TARA-fied 1!

I say it was your lucky day......

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
    1966 Plymouth Fury III
    2014 Dodge Ram 1500
    Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
    Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Well that sure sucks,but at least you were close to home like you said. Good Luck with her.
      Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

it's always better when you are close to home.

it still sucks though. is it a 9"?
        Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

yes, it's a 9" but it was a junkyard buy. I have a pumpkin with 3.70's and another with 4.11's. I usually run the 3.70's but I put this one in before the Power Tour last year to save gas because I don't have overdrive. It is a 2.50:1 and it was probably worn out, I didn't go through it or anything. My 3.70 pumpkin is a recent rebuild so if I swap the ring and pinion's I should be good for the Power Tour this year again.
          Last edited by tarafied1; April 13, 2012, 07:44 PM.

Comment

I know all too well how that feels..... Only I was in a hotel parking lot. But the end result was about the same. Damn gas pedals.... LOL.

In all seriousness, I'm glad you were literally right outside your driveway, and you have a spare. That makes things a lot easier.
            sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
            - George Orwell

Comment

Man I know that feeling, but as you say, at .01 miles from home is better than 1300 any day of the week. May your good luck continue...
              -Mick
              HRPT Long Haul '09,'10', '12, '13,'14,'15
              "if you can still see your face in the finish, you have not sanded enough"

Comment

today must be a lucky saturday the 14th... unloading rock in our driveway and my daily driver blew the brakes... AMeanXtreme already got it on jackstands and ordered the parts for poor mom and dad...just in time for him to head off to his job until 11 tonite!! I guess Mom did a Great job on that one....
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                  today must be a lucky saturday the 14th... unloading rock in our driveway and my daily driver blew the brakes... AMeanXtreme already got it on jackstands and ordered the parts for poor mom and dad...just in time for him to head off to his job until 11 tonite!! I guess Mom did a Great job on that one....
                  Good stock breeds good stock - he's a nice young'un.
                  Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky67 View Post
                    I know all too well how that feels..... Only I was in a hotel parking lot. But the end result was about the same. Damn gas pedals.... LOL.

In all seriousness, I'm glad you were literally right outside your driveway, and you have a spare. That makes things a lot easier.
                    I remember that! I am glad it wasn't on the Power Tour when it broke! Mine didn't lock up either, I was able to roll it, push it back into the garage very easily.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4102.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	861517yes and I was 40mi outside Madison Wisconsin on the final leg in horrific traffic with no torque-tube rear parts available.
                      Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

that would suck!

Comment

Working...
                        X