Longhauler? Roller or flat tappit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longhauler? Roller or flat tappit?

I had planned to convert mine over to roller from hydraulic flat but I may not be able to before hand. Are you guys running a flat tappit? and thing I should to to aid in having no issues?
    Last edited by Buckeye; April 15, 2012, 11:04 PM.

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
    I had planned to convert mine over to roller from hydraulic flat but I may not be able to before hand. Are you guys running a flat tappit? and thing I should to to aid in having no issues?
    I ran a Hydraulic Flat Tappit for about 3 years in Jade. The only thing "Roller" was the Crane Gold Series Roller Rockers. In 2009, the engine was completely gone through, and I am now running a Hydraulic Roller from Comp Cams and I Love it!! For me, there is no comparison, as the roller cam makes so much more power than the flat tappit. Now, the flat tappit sounds more radical, but I'd never go back. And after doing two full long hauls and racking up 15,000 miles, I have never once adjusted anything in the valve train!!

My two cents.....
    sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
    - George Orwell

Comment

There's nothing wrong with a flat tappet cam set up - you just have to make sure it's broken in properly with oil that has lots of zinc in it - comp, gibbs, and other sell special oil that has the stuff all oils used to have until a few years ago.

Do a proper break in, run the good oil, and you're all set - Just don't run off the shelf oil with out any additive.

There's lots and lots of info on the web about zddp additives and flat tappet horror stories - let's not forget flat tappets was all we had for decades - it was only when the EPA pulled zinc and phosphorous out of oils and somebody got a cheap run of offshore junk lifters that we had problems.

For some engines the leap from flat to roller is almost a grand - sure, rollers offer advantages in cam lobe shape etc, but man they can really cost if you're not running a sbc, or sbf.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I took the mechanical roller out of my wagon and went to a flat tappet because I got tired of replacing ~$700+ roller lifters every year! My mechanical flat tappet is still pretty aggressive so I didn't loose a ton of power (certainly none that was usable anyway). I run Valvoline VR1 along with 8oz of CompCams break in fluid in every oil. I have put 10k miles on it now (2 power tours and other trips) without any cam/lifter issues.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
          I took the mechanical roller out of my wagon and went to a flat tappet because I got tired of replacing ~$700+ roller lifters every year! My mechanical flat tappet is still pretty aggressive so I didn't loose a ton of power (certainly none that was usable anyway). I run Valvoline VR1 along with 8oz of CompCams break in fluid in every oil. I have put 10k miles on it now (2 power tours and other trips) without any cam/lifter issues.
          I’m running a hydraulic flat tappet in my 468 BBC. The engine was built by Mark Jones (VortecPro). He did the proper cam break-in. He was very adamant abut using oil with a high zinc amounts. I’m also using Valvoline VR1 with a few ozs of GM EOS at each oil change.

I’ve got just at 7,000 on the motor, only one Power Tour so far, without any engine issues. I’m going on this years PT and don’t expect any issues with the cam.

Like what has been said before, just break the cam in correctly, run the correct oil and you shouldn’t have any problems.
          Long Hauler 2011, 2012

Comment

I have flat tappets in 2 of my cars and hydraulic roller in 1 of my cars.I don't really prefer one over the other but if you run a flat tappet be sure to use a zddp additive.I run valvoline vr1 race oil as it have a good amount of zddp in the oil.
            78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

Milner351 has it right. I use Rotella in both the 468 & 496. It's for over the road diesel trucks but has plenty of zinc in it so no additive is needed. Both are flat tappet with the Comp Gold roller rockers. I like the radical thump of the motors.
              Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
              The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

I bought the motor complete with the cam in it with miles on it to it should be issue free. I am just the type to do anything under my power to prevent a break down on tour... plus with all these damn Gm's I can't let you guys get that photo op lol

Comment

Hard to say without a lot more info about the engine....what engine is it? what cam? what springs? etc

I used to eat flat tappet cams in about 20k miles in my 454, switched to a hydraulic roller no more problems. It's pretty mild, about .550 lift
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

it is a 11:1 -12:1 393W with a 560ish /600 gotta look at the cam card again

Comment

Big Dave - be careful with the new Rotella - they pulled the zinc and phosphorous (ZDDP) out of the diesel oils some too - better safe than sorry - run some zinc additive, Red STP will do.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                        I bought the motor complete with the cam in it with miles on it to it should be issue free. I am just the type to do anything under my power to prevent a break down on tour... plus with all these damn Gm's I can't let you guys get that photo op lol
                        Oh you wont have to breakdown........we GM's will get some kind of photo op of you......just think about your hotel parking lot burnout attemp in Bristol 09.............
                        That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                          yeh, but could someone else that doesn't drive their car so slow, like you, have the same success
                          Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                            yeh, but could someone else that doesn't drive their car so slow, like you, have the same success
                            Actually, the theory on the first grenaded lifter was in fact too much slow speed / idleing so I upgraded the the Crower HIPO lifters which improved longevity but still had a HIGH maintenance cost and lots of anxiety.

Comment

I long hauled last year. little over 3,000 miles for my 79 Trans Am with a 462 Pontiac with a roller cam. The weather was way too hot though, but the car made it fine. Except for the fuel pump dieing as I turned in my driveway at home.
                              Last edited by Thomasmoto; April 17, 2012, 03:15 PM.
                              2011 Long Hauler
                              2011 Corvette Grand Sport-650 HP Edelbrock Eforce SC 6 speed paddleshift auto

1979 Pontiac Trans Am-800 hp 5 speed Richmond Super Street OD with Long shifter

Comment

Working...
                              X