Top 10 most memorable Power Tour experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 most memorable Power Tour experiences

I'm sitting here feeling melancholy about not attending this year's tour I decided to relect some on my top 10 most memorable PT moments. Feel free to add you own! In fact, you'll probably have a hard time thinking of only ten.

(in no particular order)

1. Doing the long haul with my brother in 2010: We shared bunk beds most of our life but in the last 13 years we've been seperated by half the country. Spending a week together without family interruptions doing something we both love is a nice memory.

2. Tour Generocity: The quick things fellow gearheads do for one another without thinking. Bob giving me some gas when I was about to run out at the Proving Grounds last year, some denatured alcohol for my GN when I was at the bowling green dragstrip, free alcohol of other vareties, and folks willing to share rooms with almost complete strangers.

3. Tour Repairs: Doing a midnight carb swap that lasted far into the early morning under the roof of a Holiday Inn express while no one in the Hotel got any sleep due to massive burnouts and live music was played has to be one of the most lasting memories. The owner/manager of the hotel was very gracious nto to call the local authrorites.

4. My first powertour stop: 2001 Effingham, IL. I drove my 1969 Mustang Convertible with my Father-in-law as passenger. The first time anyone sees all of these cars at once and witnessing cars you've only seen in magazines is pretty cool. After doing the tour multiple times I forget the specticle of it all. For instance, at this stop the Illinois State Police closed the highway in front of Mid-America so that a wheelie truck could "demonstrate." How cool is that? I also witnessed a prostreet Chevy pickup blow it's engine on the chassis dyno only to be followed by about 1000 high fives among the crowd.

5. Drag Racing: Posting a better time than 90% of the cars including a twin turbo ls1 Nova and my brother's supercharged Mustang in my lil ole v6 Buick was great. Not that I remember much about it. ;) Also beating a new vette in my first offical drag race in the Chevelle was a nice start. I'll never forget Matt Layman riding shotgun and yelling after I shifted way to early, "he's gaining on us!!!!!" and the look on his face when we won.

6. Meeting new folks: Enough said, their are people I've only met once or twice on tour and I still can call them. I butt dialed someone the other day and it was like old times. I still wonder what happened to folks I've spend a good time with only to never hear from them again.

7. Helping others: I was able to save the entire tour for a guy when I had the only spare turbo buick ignition module within a 3 day reach. (The NAPA guys on tour told him 3 days until they could get him one) Sure it put me behind schedule, but all of us have been on the receving end of that situation. (If not, you haven't driven old junk long enough/or you're the luckiest person I know) Plus, the guy had his wife with him. It's one thing to break down, but to be stranded 5 states from home in a car your wife told you not to buy , and your wife is WITH YOU when it happens. Man, it may be safe to say I saved that guy's life.

8. Serendipity: Took the wrong turn, but found one of the best/most gorgeous stretches of road I've ever seen in the middle of nowhere. It was a lucid daydream manifested by God. I'm convinced. I can't tell you where it was in Illinois because I was lost.

9. Goofy things: Driving while distracted is dangerous, but so is driving the speed limit down a 4 lane highway with long stretches of nothing! To break up the monotony requires your fellow powertour to drive along side you with his feet sticking out of the window. If you're not Rex Ryan and feet aren't your thing perhaps some other kind of powertour hijinx. Being flashed in Lincoln, NE by some girls in a Mustang tops the list, but the girl mooning in the backseat had a hairy butt.

10. Traffic Jams. Just kidding! The best part is it's not over.. there is always another next year.
    Powertour off/on since 2002
    sigpic

Starting the burn out contest in Dayton

Doing 3 360s at just a tick under triple digits in the rain and only breaking 1 taillight lense and putting a small dent in the t/l bezel.

Comment

Winning the Chevelle in 2004, the bratfest at Mikee's, starting the VA home visits in 2007. There's more but those are the tip of the iceberg highlights.

Linda
      Last edited by 1cheapstreet; April 19, 2012, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Running the Tour two times with my great New York friends who I don't see but once every 4-5 years and thinking like the last time I saw them was yesterday..And just making all the new friends every year. I gues it's just hanging our with the greatest bunch of hot rodders you could ever want as friends..Nothing beats it..
        I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

My most memorable time- the 99 East PT when Jeff Koch (one of the editors) came up to me and said "I'd like to do an article on your car is that OK?"

Comment

Bish - #7 is a classic - you should be getting annual Xmas cards from him. What a nightmare that would be - stuck on terminal nag - all the way home - once you got the parts three days later of course !! Yikes.
            Phil / Omaha

Comment

Does everyday of every tour count? Or taking pictures of your freaky friends while driving at highway speeds.

I R Bob
              You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
              2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Top Ten
                None I can talk about

because of
                The Statue of Limitations

Sorry
                boob

Comment

All of the above. But meeting all the freaks and making friends. Apple "pie" cherry "pie" etc. You all know what I'm talking about. If you don't you need to be schooled.. And arguing with Darrell about the best bourbon. But mostly the cars and people. This wouldn't be complete with out mentioning the infamous blue cooler that Bob guards year around.
                  OH YEAH
                  Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

Touring with my dad in 2009 thinking i wasn't going to do the whole tour and take the train home from detriot, and after madison and racine insisting on finding a way home from Bristol!

2010 everyones well wishes and thoughts and prayers as dad fought cancer through 5/7 of actual PT and then flying home and passing away 2 weeks to the day after he got home from PT. THE SMILE ON HIS FACE THE WHOLE TIME HE WAS ON PT IS THE PART I WILL REMEMBER THE MOST!

Friends we meet...Linda and Ken showing up at my dad's wake not ever meeting him before, and of course Matt L for working on the Fiero so many hours to make it a good tribute to my dad, and how he would have wanted it!
                    Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

Originally posted by 1956NY150 View Post
                      Top Ten
                      None I can talk about

because of
                      The Statue of Limitations

Sorry
                      boob
                      So instead of a Yogi-ism we now have Boobism's - (you're short on one t buddy but it cracked me up)
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Standing guard in Lincoln Ne,while Darrell puts a bangshift sticker on a cop car.Only to look inside the car and see Darrells face on the video monitor on the in dash car cam.priceless.You never saw a big man move that fast when I told him he was on camera. LOL
                        Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by CaminoKid View Post
                          Standing guard in Lincoln Ne,while Darrell puts a bangshift sticker on a cop car.Only to look inside the car and see Darrells face on the video monitor on the in dash car cam.priceless.You never saw a big man move that fast when I told him he was on camera. LOL
                          That's funny!

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                            Starting the burn out contest in Dayton

Doing 3 360s at just a tick under triple digits in the rain and only breaking 1 taillight lense and putting a small dent in the t/l bezel.
                            you forgot the soiled underwear.
                            Last edited by cobra; April 20, 2012, 07:48 AM.
                            Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

1) it was alot of fun doing the starting line party last
                              year. all those cars doing burn outs in the driveway

2) 2006, we were at the lunch stop at the dragstrip
                              south of perry. a guy came running up to me saying
                              how much he liked the torino. i said thanks and then
                              said i had to go. as i was driving off, he introduced
                              himself as a hot rod editor. "Great. I just blew off a
                              rod editor" i thought. just in case, at Perry, i placed
                              the show placard in my window with my phone
                              number on it. danged if he didn't call. Freiberger
                              took the picture and it made the magazine.

3) the first ever PT in 2005, has to go on the list.

4) last year, when i broke down, and a swarm of freaks
                              where all over the side of the road to help. Thanks again.

5) DTB's cooking. especially Mobile, where we had two
                              engine grills going.

6) the many junkyard finds and adventures (that could
                              take up 10 right there).

7) coming over the hill in Iowa on an Interstate and
                              seeing the WHOLE bridge over the river completely
                              under water.

8 ) being broke down on the side of road and have Victor
                              come sliding up beside me. "go to the bottom of the
                              hill, take a left, go behind the citgo station. thats my
                              shop. i'll be there in a minute" he said. when he
                              finished fixing my car, i asked "what do i owe you?"
                              "nothing" was the reply. "you'll at least drink one of
                              beers won't you" ."yes". yet another friend met.
                              (my most told story)

9) meeting DTB and the pig car, and running into him
                              over and over again by chance. somehow it was a
                              sign that we needed to be friends.

10) Memphis. DTB, Bull, Harry and I. diner at the world
                              famous Rendezvous. then hitting the main drag and
                              finding that little bar with the three man band.
                              (top PT memory)

11) going to the Smokey and the Bandit drive-in movie.
                              the drag race in the pig car.

ok, so i couldn't stop at 10. there's another 10 after that.

power tour
                              Last edited by cobra; April 20, 2012, 07:47 AM.
                              Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Working...
                              X