Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drag Racing newbie here - What helmet to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Racing newbie here - What helmet to buy?

Recommendations please

I need to buy a helmet to take on the 08 P/Tour for my virgin trip down Heartland Park in Topeka. In the May 08 (?) issue of PHR, Steve Rupp recommended a G-force helmet with a rating of "SFI 41.1A and Snell SA 2005” which included mounting points for a helmet restraint system from Summit @ $149.95.

I just got off the off the phone with Summit who advised me that such a helmet doesn’t exist. Either I can buy (1) the G-Force “Force 1” helmet with a rating of SFI 41.1A and Snell M2005 at $149.95 or (2) the G-Force “Pro Force 1” helmet with a rating of SFI 31.1A and Snell SA2005 at $249.95. Summit advised that choice (2) is a better helmet but it could be overkill given my needs.

My objective is not to be cheap; meet the standards that HRM & Heartland Park will require; but not buy a gold plated funny car rated helmet.

Please provide your recommendations on choice (1); (2) or what you think is behind door # (3)

Thanks
    a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Re: Drag Racing newbie here - What helmet to buy?

Back in the day - the saying used to be

If you have a $10 head - wear a $10 helmet. Of course back then you could actually buy a polycarbonate helmet for $10 - $20.

It is a hard one to answer.
    Are you going to get the bug and start going to your local Test and Tunes?
    How fast is your car?
    How new is your car?
    How well maintained is your car?

If you are only going to do 1 or 2 passes, I most likely would try to borrow one from a friend. It does have to be a super/duper NHRA approved deal. Any helmet (motorcycle type) should be fine. While it would be nice to have the current SNELL rating, I am doubtful that they are going to be all that particular unless you happen do be driving a 9 second car on PT.

My opinions are based on a low intellect perhaps brought on by pass digressions. :o

Comment

As per the NHRA 2008 rulebook, general regulations,

"10:7 HELMETS & GOGGLES

As outlined under Class Requirements, drivers in all classes, including motorcycles, must wear a helmet meeting Snell or SFI Specifications. Snell K-98 is acceptable in place of any Snell M-rated helmet.
      SFI Spec 31.1A = Snell SA, open-face helmet
      SFI Spec 31.2a = Snell SA full-face helmet
      SFI Spec 41.1A = Snell M, open-face helmet
      SFI Spec 41.2A = Snell M full-face helmet

Effective Jan. 1, 2008, full-face helmet mandatory on all cars 9.99 or quicker. See individual Class Requirements for additional requirements.

Drivers of NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series and E.T. cars (13.99 or qu8icker) must us a helmet meeting snell K98, 2000, 2005, 2007 or SFI 31.1A, 31.2A, 31.1/2005, 41.1A, 41.2A, or 41.1/2005 Specs. Drivers in supercharged, front engine, open-bodied cars and Funny Cars must wear a helmet meeting Snell SA2000, SA2005, or SFI 31.1A, 31.2A, or 31.2/2005 Specs. See Class Requirements.

NHRA Helmet Expiration Dates

Snell K98 expires 1/1/2009
      Snell 2000 expires 1/1/2012
      Snell 2005 expires 1/1/2017
      Snell 2007 expires 1/1/2019
      SFI 31.1A expires 1/1/2014
      SFI 31.2A expires 1/1/2014
      SFI 41.1A expires 1/1/2014
      SFI 41.2A expires 1/1/2014
      SFI 31.1/2005 expires 1/1/2017
      SFI 41.1/2005 expires 1/1/2017
      SFI 24.1 (JDRL only) expires 1/1/2015
      SFI 24.1/2005 expires 1/1/2017

Modifications to helmet/shield are prohibited. All helmets must have the appropriate certification sticker affixed inside the helmet."

I hope this helps in your selection!

Be safe,

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn

If you have a $10 head - wear a $10 helmet. Of course back then you could actually buy a polycarbonate helmet for $10 - $20.

you made me think so I ended up buying the "gold plated funny car helmet" LOL

Originally posted by NMCA_Ron
        As per the NHRA 2008 rulebook, general regulations,......................... I hope this helps in your selection!

Be safe,

Ron
        Once again Ron I am much obliged

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by tcbnj
          If Chad is williing to get a "Gold-plated" battery backup for a computer system, don't you think a "Gold-plated" helmet to protect your fragile biological "computer" is also a good idea ?

;D

Comment

thank you Steve,

Your post will be additional evidence for the brief I may have to compile when all the credit card bills for the PT arrive home in the mail - as "I'll have some splain'n to do" :-X

Comment

The SA Fullface is the only way to fly.

$250.00 is cheap. Check out some of the latest stuff and you can spend over $1K.
              Never the less. We sell a Stoud SA2005 fireproof fullface for $225.00.

Comment

In the past where there was a drag strip on PT the rules were relaxed quite a bit. You were allowed to take a passenger and the only requirement was long pants and a long sleeved shirt. Englishtown did require a helmet but they had rentals available. All this of course was for "normal" street cars. As stated already if you have a sub 10 sec. car or the like I'm sure the track may get a trifle more picky. The whole idea was for folks who rarely or have never had the chance to run their car in the 1/4 mile a chance to try it out. Mainly a grins and giggles type of thing.

Comment

I ran my truck last year with no helmet and I was wearing shorts and a tshirt so who knows?
                  I R Bob
                  You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                  2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

If your thinking of doing other stuff, like Maxton, you might want to check with Keith Turk. You can PM him
                    Living the dream!

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn

Are you going to get the bug and start going to your local Test and Tunes?
                      How fast is your car?
                      How new is your car?
                      How well maintained is your car?

If you are only going to do 1 or 2 passes, I most likely would try to borrow one from a friend. It does have to be a super/duper NHRA approved deal. Any helmet (motorcycle type) should be fine. While it would be nice to have the current SNELL rating, I am doubtful that they are going to be all that particular unless you happen do be driving a 9 second car on PT.

My opinions are based on a low intellect perhaps brought on by pass digressions. :o
                      cstmwgn has your best answer.
                      i've done alot of drag racing and autocrossing at the grass roots level and have always used my motorcycle helmet.
                      Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

I have found that there is different enforcement of THE NHRA RULES at each new track , or even week end to week end depending on who is doing Tech.
                        I also need a New legal helmet, and are unsure of which to buy for 10.49 and slower.
                        So i am buying the full face one
                        Bob

Comment

As outlined under Class Requirements, drivers in all classes, including motorcycles, must wear a helmet meeting Snell or SFI Specifications. Snell K-98 is acceptable in place of any Snell M-rated helmet.

Effective Jan. 1, 2008, full-face helmet mandatory on all cars 9.99 or quicker. See individual Class Requirements for additional requirements.

Drivers of NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series and E.T. cars (13.99 or qu8icker) must us a helmet meeting snell K98, 2000, 2005, 2007 or SFI 31.1A, 31.2A, 31.1/2005, 41.1A, 41.2A, or 41.1/2005 Specs. Drivers in supercharged, front engine, open-bodied cars and Funny Cars must wear a helmet meeting Snell SA2000, SA2005, or SFI 31.1A, 31.2A, or 31.2/2005 Specs. See Class Requirements.

Modifications to helmet/shield are prohibited. All helmets must have the appropriate certification sticker affixed inside the helmet."

Be safe,

Ron
                          So A Snell M2000 (motorcycle) helmet is good?

Comment

Originally posted by 78GBod

Be safe,

Ron
                            So A Snell M2000 (motorcycle) helmet is good?
                            A Snell M2000 helmet is approved for use if you are not running 9.99 or quicker.
                            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                              Originally posted by tcbnj
                              If Chad is williing to get a "Gold-plated" battery backup for a computer system, don't you think a "Gold-plated" helmet to protect your fragile biological "computer" is also a good idea ?

;D
                              :D
                              LMAO

Comment

Working...
                              X