Valvoline VR-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valvoline VR-1

Most of you aren't as cheap as I am but in case you are interested Autozone has a $2 off per quart on VR-1.

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    Most of you aren't as cheap as I am but in case you are interested Autozone has a $2 off per quart on VR-1.
    i'm as cheap as you are, but i still use mobil one. autozone does a special, 5.5qt jug and a mobile one oil filter for $35.00. trust me, thats cheap. besides, i can go 10,000 miles instead of 3,000 miles between oil and filter changes. plus the benifits of great engine wear protection.
    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
      ...i still use mobil one...
      Not a Mobile1 fan - had an issue with it several years ago in a Pontiac and have never given it a second try.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
        Not a Mobile1 fan - had an issue with it several years ago in a Pontiac and have never given it a second try.
        i'm curious, what was the issue? i've had incredible success with it. it even saved the engine in my F150 once.
        Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Lifters would raise hell when things got hot (well hot in Virginia standards) - simple change back to dino and they would quite back down and the car would run great.

Comment

Perfer VR-1 over Mobil 1, not enough zinc in Mobile 1 for my cam. I've only destroyed one engine in my lifetime and that engine had Mobile 1used exclusively in it.

Can't say for sure Mobil 1 caused it, just don't have a warm fuzzy using it now.
            sigpic
            Once you've gone Rat, you'll never go back
            468 BBC
            Long Hauler 2011, 2012

Comment

New stuff gets Mobil 1 and old stuff gets Castrol GTX 20-50 w/pint of Marvel Mystery Oil.
              Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

I too always think I have to add a can of something with my oil???
                I use Zmax and it seems to let the engine turn over faster to start.
                My oil of choice has always been Castro something or other.

Comment

If you ordered a 4th Gen Camaro optioned as a SS, it came from SLP with Mobile 1. On both SS Camaro's that I owned, the lifters ticked annoyingly loud. After doing research, it seemed to be a common problem with the LS1 lifters. Changing from Mobile 1 to Royal Purple not only eliminated my issue, but it also gained me 2-3 miles to the gallon.

Since then, I've never given Mobile 1 another shot and have been a loyal Royal Purple user. In fact, last summer coming back from Birmingham the thermostat in Jade stuck and the engine got so hot that the entire valve train started to rattle. I was cruising at about 70 MPH and I lost ALL oil pressure. I was convinced that the engine was about to come apart because as I feathered the gas pedal trying to isolate the issues, the engine just kept getting hotter and hotter. After about a mile or so, which to me seemed like an hour, Jade went from cruising at 70 to barely running. Once I finally made it to the shoulder of the road, I popped the hood to find my radiator flexing like a heartbeat. My upper radiator hose looked like a python that just swallowed a cow whole, and oil was literally leaking from my head gaskets. You could smell burnt oil everywhere and it was so hot that the rubber from my K&N oil breathers in the valve covers were burnt and toast.

I was 100% convinced that I broke something or did internal damage from the car getting that hot and breaking the oil down but believe it or not, all I did was flush the engine, pour 7 fresh quarts of Royal Purple XPR in her, and a year later she's still running like a champ!! It was so bad that I took pictures, documented everything and then sent it in to the technicians at Royal Purple thanking them that their oil withstood that kind of heat and abuse.

After that, I installed a temperature gauge that actually worked...... Ha Ha Ha!!!
                  sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                  - George Orwell

Comment

this is the true advantage of the synthetic in the syn/dino debate. Heat and oil breakdown. I do know several people whose engines were saved by synthetics. i am just an old man set in almost 50 years of Castrol/Marvel Mystery Oil ways that don't need change. BTW adding MMO to my system isn't just a thought......when you pull my valve covers and see my 50 year old new looking valve train, and drop the oil pan and ask if it's new, will explain the whys of it. before fuel injection, i used to put it in my gas tank as a top cylider lubricant that actually helped with dry starts and ring wear(ridge) in the cylinder walls..

Alan......how did we get here from trying to save $2?
                    Last edited by 173rdherd; May 11, 2012, 03:40 AM. Reason: because I can
                    Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

I have used Castrol GTX & Marvel Mystery Oil for over 40 years..... Now with my new Ram SRT-10 my boys want me to use synthetic in it..... Moble1 was there recommendation but I am so old school I have not decided yet.... Need to change it soon....

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
                      1966 Plymouth Fury III
                      2014 Dodge Ram 1500
                      Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
                      Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

I use Royal Purple HPS (High Performance Street) oil in the Vette and the Camaro. It has Zinc and Phosphate added. The engines run cooler and the mpg in both cars increased. Yes, it is expensive. You can get it for around $10.50 a quart and in my opinion it is well worth every penny.
                        Jim & Maureen
                        There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
                        HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

I run valvoline Vr-1 in all my junk, it is what my builder recommends, if its good enuff for his 2400 hp turbo car , its good enuff for me!
                          Reading , Pa
                          Good Guys rodders rep.
                          "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                          Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by 66Fury3 View Post
                            I have used Castrol GTX & Marvel Mystery Oil for over 40 years..... Now with my new Ram SRT-10 my boys want me to use synthetic in it..... Moble1 was there recommendation but I am so old school I have not decided yet.... Need to change it soon....
                            there's as many opinions as there are car guys. there's probably no one right answer. but with me, with Mobil One, for all the same reasons...better gas milage, cooler running engine, more horsepower, longer time between oil changes, and i have seen how clean the inside of my engine looks after 93,000 miles. my daily driver Escape has 154,000 miles on it (shoot, i shouldn't have jinxed myself. damn it)
                            Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

sorry guys - in the future I will try harder to not share this type of info

Comment

Working...
                              X