No announcement yet.

The route is posted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you really wanted to be hardcore on doing Route 66, you could go through the Illinois part too. There is some cool stuff there, old gas stations both restored and not. It is reasonably out of the way, about an hour drive from Bloomington to Champaign.

There is random stuff along the way through Missouri before Carthage but the Interstate basically follows Route 66 fairly well.

From Carthage to Miami it is definitely worth following though. Between Galena and Baxter Springs if you follow old 66 where 69 angles off there is a cool old bridge as well. The Marsh Rainbow Arch Bridge. I think you can even drive across it if I remember correctly.

66 actually does significantly deviate from I44 West of Miami until Tulsa. From Tulsa to OKC though it kind of diddles around 44. I guess since my hotel the Miami night is in Tulsa it would be a good section to hit again. Although I found a pretty sweet looking road just off Hot Rod's route that should be pretty deserted and fun to carve up. If you did want to hit 66 until Tulsa you can drop down and reconnect with the route from Tulsa.

The book I have is the EZ 66 Guide for travelers. I don't remember, probably got it from Amazon. I have the 2nd edition, might even be a newer one now.
    1968 Torino - DOHC 4.6L/T56 swap project
    2011 CTS-V Wagon - TR-6060 equipped

Comment

Originally posted by street72 View Post
      Good catch Bruce..You are right... Farina Rd is IL-128..
      I see IL 128 as South Main......??
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

sweet! thanks for the link
        HRPT Long Hauler 2011, 2012, 2014

Comment

Updated EASY TO READ directions

Okay, try these. I updated with the the EASY TO READ versions with the error that cobra found.

.pdf 2012 Easy to Read Driving Directions updated

MW Word 2012 East to Read Driving Directions

Hope these help
          [size=+1]Chuck
          2011 HRPT Long Hauler
          2012 HRPT Long Hauler
          2013 HRPT Long Hauler "to be"

Comment

Good idea for the Route 66 after Joplin. Thanks
            PETE
            2012 Hot Rod Power Tour ►2014 WST► ​​​​​​2015 Corvettes at Carlisle, PA ► 2015 WST► 2016 WST► 2017 WST

Comment

Lots of info here - click on the state by state tabs too -
              Phil / Omaha

Comment

If anyone else is into giant Fiberglass people; muffler men, Happy Chefs and the like, Glenn Goode's Fiberglass and Sandblasting is right off of the route in Gainesville, TX. They have a few old people standing around at their shop.

RoadsideAmerica.com is a great source for finding fun random stuff like that
                1968 Torino - DOHC 4.6L/T56 swap project
                2011 CTS-V Wagon - TR-6060 equipped

Comment

i think i found another mistake on the route directions.
                  June 7, Miami to Stillwater
                  directions at the 84.9 mile mark
                  "turn right onto US-62 west/brownfield hiway" "turn left onto US-62west/muskogee ave in downtown Muskogee" i think this is actually the town of Tahlequah. the next two directions are in the town of Muskogee.
                  Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee - we don't take our trips on LSD -

And don't forget the ever popular Livin' on Tulsa time - Livin' on Tulsa Time.
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                      i think i found another mistake on the route directions.
                      June 7, Miami to Stillwater
                      directions at the 84.9 mile mark
                      "turn right onto US-62 west/brownfield hiway" "turn left onto US-62west/muskogee ave in downtown Muskogee" i think this is actually the town of Tahlequah. the next two directions are in the town of Muskogee.
                      You are correct! The directions for going through Joplin are a little confusing. I can't find all of the streets on my maps. If I'm not following someone, I'll take the interstate.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Google Maps turn by turn

Originally posted by smalblock View Post
                        You are correct! The directions for going through Joplin are a little confusing. I can't find all of the streets on my maps. If I'm not following someone, I'll take the interstate.
                        I haven't QA'd these maps but someone at Durrett Customs took the time to put the turn by turn in Google maps. I guess this could help if there's confusion and someone wanted to compare the map to the directions.

(as posted on HR)
                        [size=+1]Chuck
                        2011 HRPT Long Hauler
                        2012 HRPT Long Hauler
                        2013 HRPT Long Hauler "to be"

Comment

I found the street I was looking for on another Map.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

The run through Missouri is probably the least confusing. I know that having driven that route one way or another helps but trust me it is easy. When you make the turn from US 50 to Missouri 19 you are only about 45 miles from our house if you stayed west on 50. We will be taking that route home on Tuesday evening to save on one night of a hotel stay and catch up with the pack on I-44 somewhere between St. James and Lebanon. If somone is having car problems that can make a 2 hour drive, you are welcome to follow on Tuesday evening. Plenty of hot rodder friendly shops in Jefferson City besides the garages at Norbs house and mine.
                            Jim & Maureen
                            There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
                            HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

who is going back to warren for the drivers meeting? if you are stayin in wixom....

who is going to the warren afterglow cruise night on Saturday night from wixom?

if not where do you plan to pick up the route since wixom is not even close to being on the route?
                              (did we make a mistake not booking in warren on Saturday night?)
                              Last edited by GTPilot88; May 23, 2012, 09:28 PM.
                              Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

Scott ,im staying in Brighton Saturday night . so I'll be cruising past Wixom sunday morning to get to the route .We'll hook up with you . We'll talk more .
                                Has anyone seen my fan?

Comment

Working...
                                X