Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The route is posted!

Hey the route is posted
    Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

I give the credit to Chuck....He beat me with another thread by 3 min!
    Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

Scott, We can use all the help we can. Two is better than one..
      I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

Anyone else have some detours planned based on a look through those?

I'll tell you mine, I highly recommend following it. The bonus, you miss that 75 cent toll coming into Miami! I hate tolls.

From Joplin the route goes straight South to the interstate and you rock into Miami on the Interstate. Instead of following that, keep following old Route 66 West out of Joplin into Kansas. This will take you into Galena, KS and then South into Baxter Springs. From Baxter Springs you just keep going South into Miami.

There are some great Route 66 sites remaining in that area of Kansas. If you've seen Cars (hasn't everyone?) it is especially great as the old tow truck that inspired Tow Mater is at an old gas station turned souvenir shop there. The ladies that run that shop are some real characters themselves and clearly helped inspire some Cars characters too. There are some other great old buildings for photos in that area. And lots of other cool old sites. I did Route 66 from Albequerque to StL one summer and the section of Kansas they have the rotue skipping is the best part of that whole section I followed!

Make it a point to go that way. Follow the black CTS-V wagon out of Joplin if you want some guidance. I plan on bringing my Route 66 maps along for help.
        1968 Torino - DOHC 4.6L/T56 swap project
        2011 CTS-V Wagon - TR-6060 equipped

Comment

team effort

Originally posted by GTPilot88 View Post
          I give the credit to Chuck....He beat me with another thread by 3 min!
          I'm on West Coast time and behind you, you actually beat me by a few hours...

Let's call it a team effort.
          [size=+1]Chuck
          2011 HRPT Long Hauler
          2012 HRPT Long Hauler
          2013 HRPT Long Hauler "to be"

Comment

Originally posted by 4 cam torino View Post

I'll tell you mine, I highly recommend following it. The bonus, you miss that 75 cent toll coming into Miami! I hate tolls.

From Joplin the route goes straight South to the interstate and you rock into Miami on the Interstate. Instead of following that, keep following old Route 66 West out of Joplin into Kansas. This will take you into Galena, KS and then South into Baxter Springs. From Baxter Springs you just keep going South into Miami.

There are some great Route 66 sites remaining in that area of Kansas. If you've seen Cars (hasn't everyone?) it is especially great as the old tow truck that inspired Tow Mater is at an old gas station turned souvenir shop there. The ladies that run that shop are some real characters themselves and clearly helped inspire some Cars characters too. There are some other great old buildings for photos in that area. And lots of other cool old sites. I did Route 66 from Albequerque to StL one summer and the section of Kansas they have the rotue skipping is the best part of that whole section I followed!

Make it a point to go that way. Follow the black CTS-V wagon out of Joplin if you want some guidance. I plan on bringing my Route 66 maps along for help.
            4 cam troina - I like how you think. Being a Disney fan and ex employee I like your references. If you have an extra 15 minutes watch this video : Pixar's inspiration for Cars
            [size=+1]Chuck
            2011 HRPT Long Hauler
            2012 HRPT Long Hauler
            2013 HRPT Long Hauler "to be"

Comment

now we have more studing to do & plan all our extra stops & side trips
              2007 Power Tour Long Haul
              2008 Power Tour Long Haul
              2009 Canadian Points East Tour
              2009 Power Tour Michigan Stop
              2011 Power Tour Muskegeon & Detroit Stops
              2012 Power Tour Long Haul
              2012 Northeast Rod Run
              2013 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

thanks for posting this scott. now i can start the planning
                Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by 4 cam torino View Post

I like that idea route 66 here we come

Comment

I like it too and that's what I'm going to do.
                    Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                    The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

does anyone know of any other route 66 stops between saint louis in miami .. that we could detour to . my copilot and I plan on leaving very early on that morning to try to drive as much of 66 on the way there as possible .

Comment

I'll check my book but memory says route 66 mostly followed the interstate east of carthage and west of Miami. The city square of downtown carthage is worth getting off the main path for too.
                        1968 Torino - DOHC 4.6L/T56 swap project
                        2011 CTS-V Wagon - TR-6060 equipped

Comment

note a possible mistake in the directions.
                          june 5, champaign to madison. coming out of Mid America Motorworks, the route says "Take route US-40 to Altamont", then "turn left on IL-28", then "left for I-70 west". according to google maps, the road from Altamont to I-70 is IL-128.

also, for those that are doing breakfast at Clanton's, i am planning on doing route 66 to hiway 177 instad of the PT route.
                          Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Good catch Bruce..You are right... Farina Rd is IL-128..
                            Last edited by street72; May 22, 2012, 06:15 PM.
                            I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

Originally posted by classicbern1 View Post
                              I like that idea route 66 here we come
                              US to

Comment

Working...
                              X