Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons I learned on my first Power Tour

1. Don't work on your car in the middle of the tour if it isn't broken
    We did our first stop in Miami, OK and since it was only about an hour and 20 minutes away from home, didn't stay at a motel. When I got home that evening I discovered that the FedEx guy had left me a box full of billet parts for my engine. I thought I might as well see how much I could get put on before I went to bed (all of it). About halfway through the project it started getting dark so I decided to finish inside the garage. In my haste, I started the car and moved it with the inlet air temp sensor disconnected. I didn't know that was a bad thing until the next morning when I started out for the Miami to Stillwater leg. I had a check engine light that would not go out. I almost aborted the rest of the trip. After a few start ups and shut downs later in the day the computer was a happy camper again and the light went out.

2. Just cause a group of cars have PT stickers on them doesn't mean they know where they are going
    Running late on the Miami to Stillwater leg due to the aforementioned check engine light, I opted to skip part of the route and shortcut my way to Tulsa. When I got into Tulsa my GPS wanted to run me around in circles. Then I spotted a group of PT cars running in a tight formation. One of the guys waved at me as they went by so I fell in behind them. We seemed to be making great progress for a while. Then we exited the highway, made a series of lefts and started going back the way we came. Reminded me of the bumper sticker that says "Don't follow me, I'm lost too". We eventually got on the right road and later at a gas stop the wife in the lead car said that she was telling her husband to take the exit but there was a truck pulling a trailer blocking him from getting over in the right lane.

3. Lost, turned around, confused, whatever - it ain't so bad
    As long as you know where you are going it's not so important to know where you are. We made Stillwater just fine and in plenty of time. I got to meet and visit with some nice people. I told my copilot that we signed up for an adventure and we got our money's worth.

4. A Forum Freaks t-shirt is a good thing to have on
    I was walking around in a daze at Miami and I heard a voice say something about BangShift. It was one of the freaks introducing himself (Ed I think). A few minutes later we were joined by another guy who introduced himself (Phil I think). The old guys wouldn't have known the new guy without the shirt. Sorry guys - I'm terrible at remembering names- it was a pleasure meeting you both.

Anyway, my first time was a blast! 3 stops was just not enough and I have a firm commitment from the wife to do the Long Haul next year. I hope everybody had a safe trip home. I hope to meet a lot more of you next year.

Number 2 is so true. Been there, done that!

Having the BS shirt is a plus too. Glad you had a good time and are planning to long haul next year. Vehicle problems kept me from long hauling this year but that will not happen next year.
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I like 3!
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Yea, number 2 is true. In 09 my GPS sent me to Notre Dame campus along with a few other hot rods, and the security guard stopping us telling us we were not supposed to be there. That was the closest I ever got to higher education. Like I alway say it is not the destination that counts, it is the journey that is fun.
        It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

I did a #3 this year but it was ok, saw some of Route 66 that I wouldn't have otherwise. "I don't need no stinking GPS" I'd rather get lost using my road atlas......old school!
          Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
          The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
            I did a #3 this year but it was ok, saw some of Route 66 that I wouldn't have otherwise. "I don't need no stinking GPS" I'd rather get lost using my road atlas......old school!
            I personally pulled a #3 coming out of Kennedy Space Center in Cocoa Beach last year.....got held up at a light on the straight shot out in my haste I assumed we where going out the same way we came in I turned left as lead car of a group of 8 cars....we drove 2 miles and didnt see any Power Tour decals.....I pulled over and five cars pulled over with me....one guy spoke up and said he thought we were suppose to go straight out.......called my group and confirmed the same......now we double back to the main road and started to haul it were we where held up at the draw bridge by a sailboat that actually looked to be a foot too tall to go under it.............

The only reason I caught up to my group was Mike's(MJKurtz) Nova was having a cooling issue and was on the side of the road just on the otherside of the draw bridge on the side of the road.......so believe me I've experienced #3 a few times......

On a side note I got to hear Big Dave's voice in Texas....my buddy John was calling to give me a daily Power Tour update since I couldnt go this year and while we were talking he saw a Bangshift sticker it was Big Dave's.....so #4 worked and works well too.........get your a Bangshift swag!!!.........
            That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

hey buzz i was with Phil it was nice to meet you in miami ( i was wearing a black bs t shirt)
              COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

I told him his avatar gave me the creeps - and he explained it was from Kill Bill 2 - never saw either so it's STILL sppoky.
                Phil / Omaha

Comment

Good to meet both of you guys too. I really need to change my avatar to a more car oriented theme. But then again, it sticks out.
                  Anyways, next year can't come soon enough. I'm ready for the Long Haul experience and doing half a tour was the perfect learning experience.

Comment

keep the avitar its cool!!
                    COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

saw a few cars pull a #2 leaving warren. luckily, i know how to follow directions.
                      Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

GPS as well as a "truckers atlas" with each state on two pages - I wouldn't want to trust a GPS alone regardless of brand or age.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I changed the voice on my GPS to a males voice, and the wife asked me why? I told her I was getting tired of two females getting mad at me for going the wrong way.
                          It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

i'm an old school map guy, my co-pilot/navigator is a gps guy.
                            we got lost 3 times looking for a hotel with the gps.
                            with a map, i may not know where i am, but i've never been lost
                            HRPT Long Hauler 2011, 2012, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz0 View Post
                              Good to meet both of you guys too. I really need to change my avatar to a more car oriented theme. But then again, it sticks out.
                              Anyways, next year can't come soon enough. I'm ready for the Long Haul experience and doing half a tour was the perfect learning experience.
                              You should change it to one from Sukiyaki Western Django to keep the Quentin Tarantino theme!
                              2012 HRPT Long Hauler / Interstate Queen

Comment

Working...
                              X