No announcement yet.

2013 Western Scenic Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you!! Colorado scenery is hard to beat, and sharing with friends makes it all the more special!!
    200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
    Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

• WST participants, Michille is working on the photo slideshow on cd (with music of course). Cost will be $20 and includes the cd and case/mailer and postage. PM me for the info if interested.
      Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

• OK, heading home from Ouray.
        We woke before sunrise to the drum of a steady rain on the metal roof......sure enough, a pretty cool, wet morning awaited us. Even in the rain, the mountains still have a way of showing their beauty.....

As we climbed higher on US 50 toward Monarch Pass, it became apparent we would enter the cloud base and be in some serious fog.

As we gained even more altitude, the decreasing temperature resulted in rain giving way to snow.

and when we reached the pass, it was really starting to pile up.

Monarch Pass is at 11,300' above sea level.

The gift shop has a really nice display of the wildlife of Colorado, but I didn't take the camera inside with me.

We got back on the road and started down the Eastern slope towards Salida.

Which happens to be a pretty neat town too!

Continuing down the valley towards Canon City and the Royal Gorge, the meandering river makes for many nice photos......

So many, in fact........all of the camera batteries were depleted. Rats.

So, a brief summary of the rest of the trip:
        We took the turnoff for Royal Gorge, and even though the bridge was closed and the forest was decimated by a recent wildfire, it was still well worth the half-hour stop. We bade farewell to our running partners Norb and Terry, as they peeled off for Colorado Springs, and we headed for Garden City.
        Just at nightfall, we drove under a line of severe thunderstorms.....it rained so hard visibility was down to a few yards at times, consequently, the last 30 miles or so took an hour to complete. Water was curb deep when we reached our hotel.
        Saturday broke clear and relatively calm, so we continued on US 50 to Emporia, the I-35 to Ottawa, KS where we turned east for home.
        What a trip! Best ever, I think.
        Next year.........
        Last edited by oletrux4evr; October 1, 2013, 05:47 PM.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Thanks for the pics! still working on next year's plans hoping to see you when time and schedules permit!
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Hey Ed, the rest of us hit snow heading south out of Ouray. Michille and I left heading north to Ridgway then towards Telluride. We hit snow at 10,000 feet but it was not sticking on the road. After an hour of snow we dropped low enough and were out of it and began hitting clear skies the farther south towards Flagstaff we got.

Phyllis and Fernando, Dave and Shari and Jim and Denise took Hwy 550 south from Ouray and were in two inches of snow. They followed a big rig across the Million Dollar Highway that cleared the tire tracks pretty well. Dave said the lower air dam on his corvette was plowing snow and they had the snow plows out clearing the road! Seems our weather for the tour was just perfect because it began raining that night after the tour ended! As Ed stated, I believe this was the best tour EVER!

Comment

• Well I finally got time to download all my pictures and after 8 hours, Photobucket thought 125 pictures out of the 375 I was trying to down load was fine. So I will try to input the missing ones. That should only take a few days or weeks..
              I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

• Hey Western Scenic Tour participants! I have sent the folks at the Northeast Rod Run a proposal about having the WST tour meet the NERR tour midway across the country! I'm thinking Sturgis/Rapid City area and have a huge Bangshift party?

This will be a fall tour again, any comments, suggestions? I think its a cool idea!

Comment

• Email sent.

Love the idea. Just won't work next year
                  1999 Power Tour - 3 Stops
                  2006 Power Tour Long Hauler
                  2008-2012 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

• How 'bout the Fall Colors tour folks??
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• What happened to the idea from Seattle to San Francisco.. But I'd be up for either. I've never been to Sturgis area..
                      I just love my Hot Rods.

Comment

• Some of my shots of the Western Scenic Tour Hiking the Narrows More to follow. Zion National Park was beautiful..
                        I just love my Hot Rods.

Comment

• Here are some more pictures..
                          I just love my Hot Rods.

Comment

• The Western Scenic Tour photo dvd is coming together and I'm loving it. Michille is putting in an incredible amount of time on this thing and it shows. I'm laughing and remembering the tour as if it was just yesterday and yearning for next years tour to be here already. If you have not ordered a dvd yet, send me a pm for the info. You won't be sorry to have it as a keepsake of this trip.

Doug

Comment

• The photo dvd is done and, in a word is fantastic! Michille knocked it out of the park! Awesome job! Once the participants have received their dvd's we will try and load it onto bangshift so all of you can see our tour! The 2014 tour planning is underway!

Comment

• I'm ready for next year already Doug. And I can't wait to get my DVD...We leave for SEMA in Las Vegas tomorrow and you know what CD I'm bringing to entertain the gang..That's right, the 2013 Western Scenic Tour CD..It is awesome... Thanks for all your hard work Doug and Michille..
                                Last edited by street72; November 2, 2013, 05:25 PM.
                                I just love my Hot Rods.

Comment

Working...
                                X