No announcement yet.

2013 Western Scenic Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I got the days off so I am in on this trip. Looking forward to it...
    Dannie
    2010 Camaro SS
    Long Haul 2010/2011
    Power Tour 2012 (Stillwater/Arlington/Optima Face Off)

Comment

I'm with you also..Where we going...Either way, count me in..Big Bear this weekend,Doug..
      I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

Good to see you again Rett. I hope you did not get too wet in our downpour! We were soaked by the time we left the restaurant and got back to the car!
        Last edited by bearphoto; August 12, 2012, 06:30 AM.
        Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Great time this weekend in your playground Doug..It was great to see you and meet Mrs.Bearphoto..And I'm with Bamfster, Ouray is a very cool stop. Silverton is very small and Durango is much larger and may be one of the only places that has newer hotels. Most of the cool old towns in Colorado have very old hotels, and I mean very old..But I'll most likely have my wife as a co-pilot for this run..We love this area of the good Ol' USA..
          I just love my Hot Rods.

Comment

New here but interested in the suggested cruise both next month and in 13 months. Sounds like the cruise next month may not happen but can you clarify? I was a long hauler in 2000 and 2001 but stopped attending because I was afraid I'd get dizzy going in circles in the middle of the U.S. If you are serious about going on a cruise next month please let me know so I can gas up and wash off the car. Thanks

Nick

Comment

I'm back from my trip which included scouting out some Colorado areas of Durango and Silverton and Ouray. I must say I was less than impressed with Durango and Silverton, mainly due to the attitudes of the locals. Less than helpful and in several cases of businesses just rude. With that said I don't see too much of that area in our future Western Scenic Tour. However, Ouray restored my faith in Colorado locals and Ouray most likely will be our ending point of the tour.

The town of Ouray really treated the visitors courteously, were friendly and very helpful. And if you have never been to Ouray, its really a must see! Now I consider myself a pretty good driver, aggressive at times when appropriate but the "Million Dollar Highway" is not for pansies! I've been laughing since driving on this section between Silverton and Ouray. That road scared the s#%t out of me! Two lane roads, very winding twisting lanes, steep drop offs and not a guardrail in site! Of course the dropoff was on my side of the highway. End of pavement, steep drop offs. I was hugging the centerline and driving to the left of it whenever I could. Damn! This road is not for the faint of heart!

Anyway, I have set up a host hotel for us with very secure and safe parking, looks to be good rates and is within walking distance of the main part of town. More on that to follow.

I have also set up a facebook page called "Western Scenic Tour". its open to everyone, no "friending" required. Post your comments, suggestions ect on that site. The only thing i have on there so far is a fall picture of Ouray stating that this town will be part of our tour. Hope to see you on there! If you don't facebook, well come see us here on Bangshift!

Comment

Thanks Doug, I know scouting for routes is not an easy task.
                PETE
                2012 Hot Rod Power Tour ►2014 WST► ​​​​​​2015 Corvettes at Carlisle, PA ► 2015 WST► 2016 WST► 2017 WST

Comment

Originally posted by bearphoto View Post

The town of Ouray really treated the visitors courteously, were friendly and very helpful. And if you have never been to Ouray, its really a must see! Now I consider myself a pretty good driver, aggressive at times when appropriate but the "Million Dollar Highway" is not for pansies! I've been laughing since driving on this section between Silverton and Ouray. That road scared the s#%t out of me! Two lane roads, very winding twisting lanes, steep drop offs and not a guardrail in site! Of course the dropoff was on my side of the highway. End of pavement, steep drop offs. I was hugging the centerline and driving to the left of it whenever I could. Damn! This road is not for the faint of heart!

Anyway, I have set up a host hotel for us with very secure and safe parking, looks to be good rates and is within walking distance of the main part of town.
                  I thought you would like that drive ..... yea, Durango, Silverton and Tellu-wierd (Telluride) are definitely different. Ouray is actually a gearhead town/rally point due to all of the off road 4 wheeling in the area.

What hotel will be the host?

At the very least I will meet you guys there on the last day.
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

At this time it looks to be the River's Edge in Ouray. Nice small place, good parking for the cars and close to everything in town. I have spoken with the owner to get group rates and he has indicated that he will do that for us. His place has 20 rooms and i'd like to fill all 20 rooms if possible! Hopefully we will spend at least 2 days in Ouray as there is lots to see and do!

Comment

Thanks Doug! Will check into the River's Edge. Can we book rooms already?

Linda

Comment

Two days will be great. We will get to see stuff instead of running out of town every day..I like the idea.
                        I just love my Hot Rods.

Comment

Western Road trip

I was on a western cruise this year, missing the 2012 Power Tour. A long 6400 mile road trip up to Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming,Colorado, (drove up Mt Evans and Pikes Peak) , Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas and back to Florida.

By oldlar at 2012-08-27

At a stop in the Badlands. A nice road trip and only one break down..(broken rotor outside DesMoine)

Comment

No booking of rooms yet Linda as we are still a bit more than a year out. I have to sit down with them and pin them down on the room rates. I can tell you this is a great place, right on the rivers edge, a couple of jacuzzi's, bbq's, lots of shade, flowers, green grass and very quiet, and a breakfast each day. Hopefully we can get them to host a bbq for us? If not, the Outlaw Rest. is a short walk away. John Wayne ate there while filming True Grit! Food was top notch and they had a piano player in there second to none!

Comment

Originally posted by bearphoto View Post
                              I have also set up a facebook page called "Western Scenic Tour". its open to everyone, no "friending" required. Post your comments, suggestions ect on that site. The only thing i have on there so far is a fall picture of Ouray stating that this town will be part of our tour. Hope to see you on there! If you don't facebook, well come see us here on Bangshift!
                              The facebook page I saw does require friending (I requested). I think if you had set it up as an open group anyone could have joined without the need for requests. Not complaining, just wanted to let you know in case you didn't realize it.

Comment

Hmmm, it was supposed to be set up with no friending required. I'll have to check with my facebook manager (daughter). Thanks for the info. New York is not too far to travel, hope you can join us!

Comment

Working...
                                X