2013 Western Scenic Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Western Scenic Tour

This thread is not designed to take away from the Power Tour. Thats a great event but for those of us out west, the PT is too far, too costly and continues to pass through the same towns as prior years. So, as an option, I will set up a 2013 Western Scenic Tour!

Since we are a smaller group, we can get in and see some of the incredible Western United States national parks and scenery.

The last tour in 2008 started in Las Vegas, then off to Zion National Park, Bryce National Park, Grand Teton National Park and the tour ended in Yellowstone National Park.

We can do this same route again over 7 days or I will take suggestions on locations and dates.

Doug
    Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Doug, Yellowstone Park is one of the places on my list to hit on a road trip, so the route sounds like a good one to me, ...I'm interested in this trip as a nice change of scenery...
    Last edited by SoCalCamaro; June 20, 2012, 08:10 PM.
    Dannie
    2010 Camaro SS
    Long Haul 2010/2011
    Power Tour 2012 (Stillwater/Arlington/Optima Face Off)

Comment

This sounds great! What time frame?
      sigpic
      Once you've gone Rat, you'll never go back
      468 BBC
      Long Hauler 2011, 2012

Comment

Last time the time frame was early fall as i recall, second week of September. This time i was thinking mid June. I'm open to either time frame. Fall is nice because of the cooler temps and less crowd because after Labor Day, crowds thin out some. June is nice as you have warmer temps and usually better weather than fall. Let me know your preferences.

Doug

Comment

Yellowstone has two drawbacks during the hot months.......horrendous traffic jams, and thunderstorms with hail. Not to discourage you Doug, but I just thought I'd throw you a couple of factors to consider...I'd really recommend a fall cruise.
          This sounds like fun....I've wanted to cruise up in that area for some time, including the Tetons and Jackson Hole.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

This would be a great trip, I would hope that the plans would not compete with Power Tour dates so that there could be an opportunity for those who might like to participate in both. Personally I prefer later in the year for Colorado, Wyoming. Also South Dakota Black Hills would be another great place to end in. Best wishes with this idea Doug.....
            200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
            Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
              Yellowstone has two drawbacks during the hot months.......horrendous traffic jams, and thunderstorms with hail. Not to discourage you Doug, but I just thought I'd throw you a couple of factors to consider...I'd really recommend a fall cruise.
              This sounds like fun....I've wanted to cruise up in that area for some time, including the Tetons and Jackson Hole.
              I've been to Yellowstone in June. Although never experienced hail, we did have a snow storm that dropped about 10 inches on the 6th of June. As for traffic, it can be bad, but NOTHING like we experienced on this years Power Tour!

Fall might be better. I was in Yellowstone once in early October just after the park had closed. We basically had the park to ourselves. When we got to Old Faithful there was only one other car in the parking lot! I think we saw less than 20 cars during our two day stay.

But anyway when this is happens is a mute point for me. We already have our vacation plans for next year and I don't think I will have the vacation time or money for this trip. But it sure would be nice to go.
              sigpic
              Once you've gone Rat, you'll never go back
              468 BBC
              Long Hauler 2011, 2012

Comment

Doug, it's good to see this being done again. Those that participate in this run will get more for their time and money.
                2006 HRPT LH
                2007 HRPT LH
                2011 Valdosta Stop

Comment

Doug, let me know where I can help. Right after Labor day would be good, less crowds and still pretty good weather.

Linda

p.s.-How are you feeling these days?

Comment

There's a ton of beautiful drives here in Colorado, and temps aren't that bad up in the high country in the summer. If it rolls thru here, Wyoming or any of the other surrounding states I'll hook up with it.
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I think it should end up in San Diego with a beach day, and we can do a beach day anytime of the year.. 2 cents..
                      I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

All great info, thank you. I have had clear weather in June, cold and windy weather in early September so its always hard to judge exactly what you will get. Yes Yellowstone can get crowded in the summer. Early June might not be as bad as schools might still be in session. Temps are usually better in early September but there is no fall color for the most part during this time if thats important to anyone. I also agree that having it during the power tour time frame might not be the best but in reality almost no one would be doing both and either you are tired of the PT hitting the same locations or your not.

One of the things that will determine time frames is my Hawaii photoshoot for 2013. As most of you know I had to pass on it this year due to life threatening heart issues.

If anyone is up for a shorter run this fall (september) perhaps heading up Hwy 1 and hitting Hearst Castle, Morro Bay, Monterey....or hitting the eastern Sierra Mountains such as Bishop, Mammoth Lakes, Yosemite we can do that separate from next years tour let me know.

Comment

Hey Doug, I would definetly be in for a western tour all the places mentioned are on my list. If planned out before november I can most definetly plan my vacations with it. My first choice would be early fall, but I'll keep an open mind.
                          Perry
                          Last edited by corvettedad; June 22, 2012, 02:34 PM.
                          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

We hope to be at Pikes Peak Late August early Sept in 013
                            we might beable to cruise along depending on where /when
                            bob

Comment

I think we should tour the whole state of Colorado ,just saying!!!!!
                              Danny/Zachary
                              HRPT '08 LH, '09 Days 6 & 7, '10 LH

Comment

Working...
                              X