X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by fine59 View Post
    Alan im on the fence on how i am going to proceed, Brent has had great luck running both front and back ACs, the tunaboat will make your lips turn blue on the hottest days, i just might have to gather up all the parts and head down to visit him, not sure which sanden compressor im running, came with the March front runner pulley system i have, i have a while to get this thing figured out, the wife will be riding next year and if the wife aint happy.....
    Fred - I believe what you have can be made to work but it might take some math to figure out area/volume of all the components so that they are properly matched. Good luck - once you get it sorted out you can mount some cup holders in front of the vents to keep your ice cubes fresh.

Leave a comment:

• fine59
    replied
    Alan im on the fence on how i am going to proceed, Brent has had great luck running both front and back ACs, the tunaboat will make your lips turn blue on the hottest days, i just might have to gather up all the parts and head down to visit him, not sure which sanden compressor im running, came with the March front runner pulley system i have, i have a while to get this thing figured out, the wife will be riding next year and if the wife aint happy.....

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    the one in the trunk is from a conversion van, cools better than the vintage air,i have spent over a grand at a half dozen diff shops, no one could get it to blow lower than 56..and like i said vintage air was no help at all.i have had it vacuumed down holds vacuum fine, gauge readings were all good, the biyatch just wouldnt cool...
    So is there only one compressor and condensor that provides freon to both evaporators?
    Does the line from the condensor run to the rear unit first or the front unit first?
    Do you know the size of the compressor - most times Vintage Air uses a Sanden 508 which most likely isn't large enough for the increased capacity of two evaporators.

Are you going to install your new underdash unit as a stand-alone and not incorporate the rear unit into it?

Leave a comment:

• fine59
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    Fred - I think we talked about this sometime back on tour. Didn't you say you had dual evaporators - one under the dash and one in the trunk servicing the back seat area? Did Vintage Air spec both units and size the condensor and compressor to support both evaporators?

Like Woody - mine is working pretty good (no where near as good as the OEM stuff) but I only have a two seater (not so good in the back).

Do you do your own A/C work?
    Does it hold vacuum?
    What were the gauge readings?

I have had a couple of issues with mine
    1. It tends to FREEZE the evaporator and stops cooling if you leave it full max for too long.
    2. I had to replace the expansion valve because the low pressure reading was a little high and the vent temps were pretty warm
    the one in the trunk is from a conversion van, cools better than the vintage air,i have spent over a grand at a half dozen diff shops, no one could get it to blow lower than 56..and like i said vintage air was no help at all.i have had it vacuumed down holds vacuum fine, gauge readings were all good, the biyatch just wouldnt cool...

Leave a comment:

• SoCalCamaro
    replied
    Originally posted by Bucky67 View Post
    Ship the car and ride with Rett?!?!
    The amount of time to get back is the problem, so riding with Rett won't work

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    it would never cool...56deg out the vents...vintage air was no help when i called...

Alan if you want it you got it...might be awhile before i pull it..send me a address and i will send it.

(it was fit spec for my impala)
    Fred - I think we talked about this sometime back on tour. Didn't you say you had dual evaporators - one under the dash and one in the trunk servicing the back seat area? Did Vintage Air spec both units and size the condensor and compressor to support both evaporators?

Like Woody - mine is working pretty good (no where near as good as the OEM stuff) but I only have a two seater (not so good in the back).

Do you do your own A/C work?
    Does it hold vacuum?
    What were the gauge readings?

I have had a couple of issues with mine
    1. It tends to FREEZE the evaporator and stops cooling if you leave it full max for too long.
    2. I had to replace the expansion valve because the low pressure reading was a little high and the vent temps were pretty warm

Leave a comment:

• CaminoKid
    replied
    it would never cool...56deg out the vents...vintage air was no help when i called...

Alan if you want it you got it...might be awhile before i pull it..send me a address and i will send it.

Thats a shame to hear Fred,I changed my air on the elcy this past summer and it works great.38 degree air out of the dash on a 85 degree day.Hope you have better luck with the new one.
    I have the crimping tool for the fittings if you need anything call me.Woody

Leave a comment:

• Bucky67
    replied
    Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
    Maybe ship your car home and fly ?
    Ship the car and ride with Rett?!?!

Leave a comment:

• 70chevyC-10
    replied
    Originally posted by SoCalCamaro View Post
    This year I'm definitely out, too fricken far for this Californian....
    Maybe ship your car home and fly ?

Leave a comment:

• fine59
    replied
    If you don't mind me asking, what issues or problems did you have with the Vintage unit??

Last edited by fine59; June 28, 2012, 08:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bucky67
    replied
    ordered a new under dash AC unit...gonna toss this vintage air POS...
    If you don't mind me asking, what issues or problems did you have with the Vintage unit??

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    How about tossing it in a box and sending down here?

Leave a comment:

• Bucky67
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    Yeah Dannie - what about shooting for the last two stops?
    I was thinking more along the lines of the first couple stops.... But hey, the last two would work too!! Ha Ha Ha!!!

Leave a comment:

• fine59
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Dannie, I completely understand man. Wish you could do part of the tour....
    Yeah Dannie - what about shooting for the last two stops?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X