America's Main Street, Lincoln Highway Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America's Main Street, Lincoln Highway Tour

Most everyone knows the famed "Mother Road" Route 66. Many have done research, or had the opportunity to drive and explore some of this popular American icon. There is another very famous highway that does not get the attention like 66 does.
    "Americas Main Street", The Lincoln Highway aka US 30. This was the first coast to coast highway spanning 3,380 miles through 13 states connecting New York City to San Francisco.
    Like most "Car Guys" I like to drive the highways of our great country and see the sights and experience the folk lore that goes with it.
    Please join me on a cyber trip across America on The Lincoln Highway.
    Here is my proposal, through what ever time it takes, if you live near the Lincoln Highway, go get some pictures (take them yourself, dont steal any from the internet). Share some interesting facts, fun stuff or history. Please let us know the locations so we can put the pieces together and hopefully we can all see The Lincoln Highway........

Attached Files
    200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
    Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Note; all 2008 HRPT Long Haulers drove on The Lincoln Highway from Blair NE into Iowa on our way to Ames. Also you don't have to live near US 30 to participate, if you are traveling and near any of it please share some pictures and stories. I have been on most of this highway in Nebraska and a lot of it in western Iowa, we were on a little bit of 30 around Chicago while traveling to Detroit and also this past weekend in Joliet.
    200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
    Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Cool project.

I grew up not far from US30 in the south suburbs of Chicago.

In fact - the "SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY" ads I heard on the radio were for US30 drag strip, that of course closed down before I was old enough to run on it.

Next time I'm at home I'll have to remember to shoot some pictures.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
        Cool project.

I grew up not far from US30 in the south suburbs of Chicago.

In fact - the "SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY" ads I heard on the radio were for US30 drag strip, that of course closed down before I was old enough to run on it.

Next time I'm at home I'll have to remember to shoot some pictures.
        Mil:....what suburb(s)?.....I'm born and raised, and lifelong south side Chicago, and up and down 30 all of the time (two daughters live on either side of 30 in NW Indiana, was there yesterday)....anyway, I do remember the Sunday ads, and ran US 30 dragstrip back in the day....now, how to take pictures is another matter (somewhat electronically challenged)....

Comment

My friend Mike has a personalized license plate that reads "LCNHWYFN" (Lincoln Highway Fan) so over the years I've heard lots of tidbits about America's First Transcontinental Road.

My Grandpa worked for the Ohio Dept of Transportation, and as a kid on occasion he would take me to various projects. Some of the roads around here used to require very frequent maintenance, as if they had no bottom to them. Eventually this was addressed in earnest, and many sections were dug out and filled, sometimes to a depth of 20'.

No fooling, I've seen the original LOG roadway at that depth. The logs apparently just kept sinking and more fill was added as needed. Really weird and cool at the same time, hard to believe until you lay eyes on it. And those logs were remarkably intact too.

Anyways, I snapped these on the way to work this morning. Bucyrus boasts the best Lincoln Highway markers in Ohio according to the official website http://www.lincolnhighwayoh.com/road-guide. I can't personally vouch for that, but it IS cool to have these reminders of history on display.

There are some small concrete markers outside of town, but this is the first one I pass every day. This is in front of the golf course on the east side of Bucyrus on East Mansfield Street.

Here is a close up of the plaque.

This one is next. It is thought to be rebuilt from stones from one of the first markers.

Another marker on our local welcome board. I especially like the sign from the Eliminators Car Club, they are a active group that puts on a local cruise downtown every year in June. This cruise always draws 600+ cars, usually 900, and about 6 years ago drew 1400 cars. Its one of the few actual cruises where all of main street is shutdown for the event, and cars are actually driven rather than just polished.

Go a little farther in towards downtown and keep your eyes peeled, and you'll see this marker on the side of the first of 3 viaducts (rail crossings). There is another on the western viaduct that is visible to the eastbound lane of traffic.

On the Town Square you can find this marker if you are looking westwards.

And if you circle the Square and keep a sharp eye out, you'll also see this one on one of the two nicely landscaped "islands" in the middle of the square. Its old and if you look closely you'll see a "penny" with a likeness of Honest Abe himself towards the top.

There are more around, but those are the ones I pass 2 times daily. Can't wait to see more from others who live close to the original Highway.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

That's awesome!

I am doing a trip next year on Route 66 and the Lincoln Hwy. It is suppose to be awesome.

Ryan
            Ryan's Cars in Barns Blog
            www.carsinbarns.blogspot.com

Comment

Wow thanks Stiney!! This is great to see and hear the information. Rexdogg I am pretty sure you can figure the picture thing out, and Milner that is great about the Sunday Sunday Sunday ads. Thanks guys, keep it going........

Comment

I saw a good TV special on the Lincoln Hwy once - I think it was on the Travel Channel.
                Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
                  I saw a good TV special on the Lincoln Hwy once - I think it was on the Travel Channel.
                  email from my daughter....she said she would start taking pix of the Lincoln Highway signs/memorials.....if and when I get them. I will forward them here.......

Comment

Thanks Dave......

Comment

How cool to see all the pictures of Ohio. I miss the darn place, thanks Stiney for the shots and I used to hear the Sunday,Sunday,Sunday in New York for Englishtown Raceway Park..And I thought it was the only one who did that..
                      I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

I drove up and down parts of the Joisey section when I was a young pup. Growing up in southern New York, I used to love the Sunday, Sunday, Sunday ads for National Speedway, in Islip, Long Island. Went there a number of times in the late 60's and early 70's. Raced in A Stock with my old 70 Nova SS big block, 4 speed in 72, 73 and 74.

I have driven stretches in PA too. My Dad lives on US 30 in Bedford PA. He used to own the Washington Coffee Shop in the middle of town on 30. After I retire (not too long now) we will make it a point to cruise some more of US 30. Thanks for getting this started George.
                        Last edited by 69SS 350 5 Speed; July 17, 2012, 04:17 PM.
                        Jim & Maureen
                        There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
                        HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

Jim, You are right, it was National Speedway and not E-town. I also raced National Speedway and Westhampton. I ran my 70 Duster 340 in B/S class. I have one picture of it at the track that a friend took. Ahhhh the good ol' days.
                          I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

We were headed for the DeSoto Wildlife Refuge near Blair, NE on the way home from Rock N Rods.....:

Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

This one's for George -

George - they have not returned the relics from the wreck of the Bertrand since last year's flooding - which came up to the bottom of the windows of the elevated lookout.
                              Soup - Mmmmn Mmmmmn good !

Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                              X