A bunch of hooey - aimless ramblings waiting for PowerTour to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bunch of hooey - aimless ramblings waiting for PowerTour to start

How do you guys work on multiple vehicles at the same time?

Take Leon as an example, he's got multiple vehicles in the works and a few days ago decided to build something entirely different for this year's tour.

I only own two cars - TOTAL (proof enough that I can't be a REAL car guy).
    1 is my wagon which is my pride and joy weekend cruiser.
    1 is my POS truck which is my general purpose mule.

While I am waiting to see if my wagon is going to be done in time to take on tour, I have been working on the truck as the backup. It is one thing to do PM stuff (perhaps just a bit early so that it doesn't cause problems on a long drive) but how do you spend money on "trick stuff" for a vehicle that really doesn't need trick stuff to do its job (mule)? How do you justify spending money on stuff that will only be used for 12 days? In one of my delirious states, I was contemplating pulling the motor out of the wagon and putting it in the truck just to keep everyone on their toes! SO, if I did that I would have to have a new driveshaft built so I could put the GV in it also. A new driveshaft is probably $400 - $500 depending on yokes and U-Joints. I have driven this truck now for 25+ years without A/C or tunes and now it seems hard to imagine driving it on tour without them. There probably is time to do a stereo system but I hadn't really budgeted ~$2k for a stereo. By the way, where do you put the subs and amps in an old standard cab pickup?

Man, I sure hope they get my wagon done. I am already considering taking some extra vacation days to put it back together SHOULD it get out of the paint shop in time.

Re: A bunch of hooey - aimless ramblings waiting for PowerTour to start

Cstmwgn

Line lock, electric cutouts for PU just in case, TRICK STUFF is OK.
    I hope wagon will be done. Any pictures?

I have two cars, and don't have time for two projects.
    Idea was to keep 65 Chevelle for a driver, until after the tour, then i broke it, now no time to fix it.

56 is ready to go, needs a few minor things, needs some miles.

I Have a contingency plan
    I Follow the Swap Sheets
    Just in case of Disaster
    Bob

Comment

Bob

No pics of the wagon. Everything but the roof is grey right now. The lower body is ready for final blocking. The roof needs more work - skim coat to address some ripples that they missed when they were assessing the areas of concern.

Funny you should mention the exhaust system. I am currently building a new one for the truck. On the 2006 PT, I won a Flowmaster complete system. I order a 3" mandrel bent off-road system for a late model mustang. I spent today "modifying" it to fit on my truck. I need to go by the other house and look for some flanges so that I can do the final mock-up next weekend. Then I will need to take all the pieces to a muffler shop/welder to have them stick them all back together. This is an example of the "not yet needed" work. The glass packs that are on it now are only about 18 years old and you can barely hear the baffles ratting when it is idling :

I still need to replace the front pads (should be in on Tuesday) and somehow get the powersteering hoses replaced. The problem is that I have a custom high pressure hose and Napa needs a day to make me a new one. This is the ONLY running vehicle I have right now so it is going to be difficult to take if off the road for a day to get the hose made. It isn't leaking bad enough to keep the truck from being drivable BUT I really don't like to leave on these little jaunts with KNOWN mechanical issues.

I haven't even begun to think about how I am going to keep all the personal belongings dry should we end up taking the truck. That stuff can wait till the week we leave - think "Beverly Hillbillies". :

Comment

allen = we're all pulling for you, fingers crossed
        a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

cstmwgn, dont feel bad. You are in a better position than others. While I have 10 "toy" cars, all of them run, are registered and insured. But, EVERY weekend its something else. Today was a new spoiler for the vette as the last one got broken off. Then its off to work on the next car which has a rear diff noise and the next one is running rough. Last weekend I ran the vette battery down listening to the xm radio while waxing another car. If you'd car to help relieve me of some of this extra stuff, I could actually sit back and relax one weekend.
          Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

hey custom wagon dont worry your wagon looked just fine last year i was behind you pulling out of kalamazoo in the blue hhr dont bother painting it

Comment

if you drove slower, you could afford another car with the gas savings. ;D ;D ;D ;D
              Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

ctmwgn-I think the stress is getting you down,finish the wagon,tried and true is the way to go.Paint,we don't need know stink'n paint!

Comment

I have the advantage of time - I'm retired so I can spend quite a bit of time on the cars. Just a couple weeks ago we decided to try to get a different car ready, it runs and gets better mileage than the 54 wagon, but we do like taking a different car each year. If we make it with this one, we'll have 6 long hauls in 5 different cars. I just got word that my tires are in, the car is in the shop getting paint and they said I'll have it by Friday, the only thing that has me a bit worried is the rims. No word from them yet. If all else fails I'll take the 54.

Comment

Is there a autocross on tour this year?

I am ready to challenge Shaggn and the JaquarSnake on the road course.

Bob

Comment

Careful,kitty sits low,has paws the size of a Ferrari,and is nimble like ninja! :D

Comment

i think the OLD ShoeBox will be just fine at a autocross

There's a AUTOMATIC in that them there JaquarSnake correct?
                        and what rearend gears.

Shoebox = 2:87 first, 1.89 second gear 4:33 rear gears

"corner to corner no contest". says JaquarSnake or ShoeBox??

Comment

OK,got me there,AOD sucks for acceleration...I think I may have let the "cat out of the bag!" ;D

Comment

I have tried autocross enough to know its the Driver being smooooooooooooooth, much more than the car.
                            And I An't smooth

Comment

Where is Matt?? Denise??

orange95Z, ladyGT
                              were the storms near they're Homes???
                              I havent seen posts in a while

bob

Comment

Working...
                              X