Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your car need b4 the power tour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CueBall
    replied
    Add me to the "fixed gas tank problem" crew. I replaced the tank, pickup sock, and sender wires a few weeks ago. When I filled the tank last week, gas gushed out the top of the tank when I filled it. The other night I was able to drop the tank and found out that the rubber seal had a kink in it, so the fuel would just pour out if you filled above the top of the tank (fuel in the filler neck). I removed the sender, put the seal back on straight, and put it all back together, being very careful to keep the rubber in the groove. No more leak, so that's done.

Tried to pull my steering wheel last night and just ended up gouging the plastic. Gonna have to rent a different puller, because the one I got from O'Reilly just isn't going to work. Hopefully I can do that tonight and also drain the rear end oil. I'd like to change that before I leave.

Leave a comment:

• 67 Malibu
    replied
    New stainless gas tank & line installed but ran out of time tonight to go get gas & check everything out.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    started organizing the tools and spares in the trunk...detail and valve stems... shakedowns!

Leave a comment:

• pintoboy77
    replied
    Was having a starter problem on the Pinto for awhile now. The solenoid keeps hanging up and the starter stays engaged . It gets so hot it melts the insolation off the cables and the battery fills like it's going to explode. Then it wouldn't do it for awhile and then out of the blue it acts up again. I changed the starter and the solenoid three times added more grounds cleaned all the old grounds. Thought the problem was gone then I took her to Indy she fine there and back got home went to pull her into the garage and boom it rears its ugly head again. So I change the solenoid again fries it right away go get a heavy duty one same thing. Then I done some research and found out that if you have a high torque starter you have to have a high torque starter solenoid. I got on line and found one installed it tonight problem solved. She cranks over so fast now and sounds a whole lot different.

Leave a comment:

• BluLightning
    replied
    Originally posted by 502ChevelleSS View Post

Now to figure out gas gauge problem......
    Let me know what you figure out. We've been trying to get the gas gauge to work correctly in the Cutlass for a year.

Leave a comment:

• A BAD SS
    replied
    Motor is back in. Pilot bearing had exploded. Glad l found that out. New gas tank straps inatalled. New fuel gauge inatalled. Relay for sending unit changed, it was dead....Found header gaskets had a slight leak. Installed new ones. Installed new NFL spark plugs..since I had the motor out. Freshener up paint on water pump and balancer. NOW, I shod be able 2 get out and drive.....WHEW....

Leave a comment:

• 67 Malibu
    replied
    Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post

I've not worked on any Camaros of that vintage but I seem to recall my 73-74 Novas having a 2 piece fuel line from the factory. That being said, I should probably check the rubber section by the tank as well as the one in the middle. They're probably originals.
    The early Camaros are one-piece. There is a short rubber piece from the back end of the line to the sending unit line. The new line is the correct one-piece & a bear to get in with the drive line in the car. I guess that I will be joining the "cobble crew" now by using a combination of the old clamps & bolts, the only 2 new ones that are correct & some rubber coated Harley ones from my riding days.

Leave a comment:

• mike327
    replied
    Originally posted by Redline04 View Post
    Powermaster was not good, but cannot find that post anymore.
    I'd like to find one with at least 80-100 amps output. Recommendations?
    I use a local alternater starter shop. They should be able to build whatever you need.

Leave a comment:

• CueBall
    replied
    Originally posted by 502ChevelleSS View Post

Well took driveshaft out to local shop and what do ya know? My " brand new driveshaft" wiggles worse than a 2 dollar whore in church on sunday. I am having new one built and ready for pick up on Friday. Fingers crossed that solves my problems. Now to figure out gas gauge problem......
    Glad to hear the driveline problem has been fixed. I recently had a hell of a time with my gas gauge too. Sender tested fine. Trunk wire tested fine. Dash wire tested fine. Gauge tested fine. The wire was grounding out somewhere between the firewall and trunk. Ended up pulling the rear seat and some panels and running a bypass wire, then patching it into the harness. Works great now...except that my damn fuel tank leaks where the sender goes in. Gonna have to drop the tank again. This will be the fourth time!

Leave a comment:

• 502ChevelleSS
    replied
    Originally posted by CueBall View Post

I'm going to make a blood sacrifice to the car gods tonight, for the both of us.

Have you checked the angles for the trans and rear end and made sure they're within spec? I know that causes problems a lot of the time, even if everything is balanced correctly.
    Well took driveshaft out to local shop and what do ya know? My " brand new driveshaft" wiggles worse than a 2 dollar whore in church on sunday. I am having new one built and ready for pick up on Friday. Fingers crossed that solves my problems. Now to figure out gas gauge problem......

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by 67 Camaro View Post
    Note the rubber hose & hose clamps. It had most likely sprung a leak so someone cut that section out & put the hose in. So evidently even Minnesota has cobble mechanics. But after an hour or so of fighting the new line between & around everything from the exhaust to the subframe, I discovered that they sent me the wrong fuel line clips & clamps.
    I've not worked on any Camaros of that vintage but I seem to recall my 73-74 Novas having a 2 piece fuel line from the factory. That being said, I should probably check the rubber section by the tank as well as the one in the middle. They're probably originals.

Leave a comment:

• 67 Malibu
    replied
    Plenty of them here too Jim. And this kind of thing makes me think that I might want to take a closer look at the things that "appear" to be done right on this car. But then what the hell, I have nothing but time on my hands.

Leave a comment:

• moparjim71
    replied
    There be plenty o' cobblers hereabouts.

Leave a comment:

• 67 Malibu
    replied
    I had a couple of hours extra(?) after I finished for the day on the rentals new bathroom. So I thought that I would see how far I could get on swapping the old, rusty fuel line in the Camaro for the new stainless one. This picture shows the two pieces of the old line after I got it out.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro fuel line.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	1159696
    No, I did not break it taking it out. ​Note the rubber hose & hose clamps. It had most likely sprung a leak so someone cut that section out & put the hose in. So evidently even Minnesota has cobble mechanics. But after an hour or so of fighting the new line between & around everything from the exhaust to the subframe, I discovered that they sent me the wrong fuel line clips & clamps.

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    I am VERY happy with my Performance Alternator out of Pennsylvania. It isn't quite that small but I am sure they make lower amp versions as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X