Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your car need b4 the power tour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BluLightning View Post

Excellent news John.

I still don't have AC
    AC.....shhhh.....don't tell Kathy!
    John 'n Kathy ('65 GTO)
    Western North Carolina

"I'd rather do it than watch it"

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

were you able to sort out the ignition issue?
      After diagnosing, we found the float on the center carb was intermittently stuck closed (usually they stick open) Thank you ethanol. AND they want to increase it to 15%
      John 'n Kathy ('65 GTO)
      Western North Carolina

Comment

• Friday evening we fired up the Smurf blue engine, after pre lubing the oil and fuel systems, it fired immediately and sat there and idled, High 5's all around. Saturday we drove it 140 miles to a car show in South Carolina and Sunday we drove it another 160 miles to a Pro Mod drag race also in South Carolina. I guess we go to South Carolina to get away from the mud slides that have claimed 3 lives in the past week with in 7 miles from our house and it is still raining and will be for 2 more days.

Now I can go back to looking at the count down thread.
        John 'n Kathy ('65 GTO)
        Western North Carolina

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

were you able to sort out the ignition issue?
          Well, the Cutlass went home Saturday night on the back of a wrecker. It was in Michigan and Donna and I were in Ohio. Keyla worked on it yesterday and it turns out the $200 Powermaster starter that we put in it 2 years ago, crapped out again. Keyla is planning on working on it next weekend if we can get a replacement starter.
          I R Bob
          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

• Originally posted by papasmurf587 View Post
            Friday evening we fired up the Smurf blue engine, after pre lubing the oil and fuel systems, it fired immediately and sat there and idled, High 5's all around. Saturday we drove it 140 miles to a car show in South Carolina and Sunday we drove it another 160 miles to a Pro Mod drag race also in South Carolina. I guess we go to South Carolina to get away from the mud slides that have claimed 3 lives in the past week with in 7 miles from our house and it is still raining and will be for 2 more days.

Now I can go back to looking at the count down thread.
            I got mine running friday and drove it 350 miles so far. Going to change oil at 500 miles and we are ready to hit the road. Its a 383.

Comment

• We done a software upgrade for the EFI, changed the exhaust, changed the alternator due to it making a noise. All of a sudden it decides its not happy any more and decides to start running rough. New fuel pump, plugs, cap, rotor, compression test, leak down test, thermostat, injectors tested, fuel filters, map sensor, and lots of time going over the tune. Well! All of a sudden it decides it’s happy and starts running like it should. Guess it just need/wanted a little time and money throwed at it.
              I have ADD with a lazy feature.....according to my wife!

Comment

• Originally posted by mike327 View Post
                We done a software upgrade for the EFI, changed the exhaust, changed the alternator due to it making a noise. All of a sudden it decides its not happy any more and decides to start running rough. New fuel pump, plugs, cap, rotor, compression test, leak down test, thermostat, injectors tested, fuel filters, map sensor, and lots of time going over the tune. Well! All of a sudden it decides it’s happy and starts running like it should. Guess it just need/wanted a little time and money throwed at it.
                must be a gal
                Phil / Omaha

Comment

• Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post

must be a gal
                  . Funny how that works....
                  I have ADD with a lazy feature.....according to my wife!

Comment

• Earl's A/C is re-charged, the oil leak seems minor, but still of unknown origin........I think after an oil change and a wax he's ready.
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• a quick gear swap monday pack it it up on the road next thursday

Comment

• Waxed and changed oil today. While I was underneath it, I discovered the oil leak seems to be coming from the pan gasket just under the timing cover. I guess I'll have a messy engine compartment to clean each night.................replacing that gasket will have to wait. There isn't room to drop the pan. Nuts.
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Ready to go here! Installed new plugs today & checked the tune... washed~waxed and filled the fuel. Lost the A/C though... no more cool air. Monte still has the original system ~ estimate I got today sez $1326. to convert it all, but parts won’t be here for at least a week... so not even gonna try.
                          I’ll stick to the 2~70 air system this year.
                          '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
                          '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
                          79 Trans Am project
                          ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

• Originally posted by Redline04 View Post
                            Lost the A/C though... no more cool air. Monte still has the original system ~ estimate I got today sez $1326. to convert it all, but parts won’t be here for at least a week... so not even gonna try.
                            I’ll stick to the 2~70 air system this year.
                            Did you just loose the freon? The AC on the camaro was no-op but intact when we bought it. We had it converted to 134A last year at a shop for under $300. I think all they replaced was the dryer and the orifice tube. It's been working fine since that.
                            Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                            74 Nova Project
                            66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                            79 Chevy Truck Project
                            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• You could almost get a vintage air kit for that kind of money. Shop wants $825 to install my true trac and new gears(same ratio; old ring gear is chipped). I only paid $200-250? for them a year ago. Seems high to me. I have seen whole set ups for $1000-1200. Need to find one of those guys that works for beer. My charger alternator quit. Having trouble getting the bolts out. When I jacked up the car I noticed the rf wheel is loose might need a hub/bearing.

Comment

• After two days, I have decided to say screw it and am going to take off the top radiator hose to get more room to remove the top alternator bolt. As is the ABS and hose are making it very difficult. After soaking the bolts for a full day and using an 18 volt impact, I got the two bottom bolts out and the bracket loose from the block. Advance Auto keeps giving online discounts so I ordered a wheel hub/nut and top hose. Its at least four years old. Belt still looks OK. Oreillys is the only one in walking distance but they don't have any of it in stock. At least I have my el camino to drive now. Its already in the 90s can't wait for a week from now and in the south.

Comment

Working...
                                X