Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your car need b4 the power tour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You posted on FB about that right? Glad to see you got it done. It was a total PIA, wasn't it?
    1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
    1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
    1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse James 80 View Post
      You posted on FB about that right? Glad to see you got it done. It was a total PIA, wasn't it?
      That was me. It actually went really well. I did read up on your project thread beforehand so I had a good idea what was going on - thanks for the link. It also helped that I rebuilt the original proportioning valve when we first put the car together. I skipped paint as well. The brake line flare tool was amazing (first time I used it)
      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
      79 Chevy Truck Project
      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Glad to have helped. I don't remember mine going as well... I think it was mostly my lines not cooperating with my prop valve (kelsey hayes one failed, so I sold it for "parts" on ebay for $200!!!) and having to make all new lines.

Did you use the eastwood flare? Best overpriced tool I've ever bought
        Last edited by Jesse James 80; June 5, 2018, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Glad to have helped. I don't remember mine going as well... I think it was mostly my lines not cooperating with my prop valve (kelsey hayes one failed, so I sold it for "parts" on ebay for $200!!!) and having to make all new lines.

Did you use the eastwood flare? Best overpriced tool I've ever bought
          I only had to make the 2 lines so it was fairly easy. Only needed to flare 2 ends. Did you take off the hood when you did yours?

I got the tool from Summit and found out later that Eastwood sells the same one cheaper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001 brake tool.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1203711
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• I've never taken the hood off of my car... yet...

I took the trunk off to replace the rear seal, that was nerve wracking...

Comment

I've never taken the hood off of my car... yet...

I took the trunk off to replace the rear seal, that was nerve wracking...
              Bet that's big part of it. I removed the cowl to shock tower brace with the hood still on and that sucked enough. Took the hood off and the drivers hinge. Great clearance that way. that's the second time we've had the hood off since it was painted. Took the trunk off to do the seal as well. Always nerve wracking though.
              74 Nova Project
              66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• What's really fun is trying to replace the MC after you've added a Mustang Steve cable clutch kit that goes almost overtop of the MC as well with the factory brace with an export brace overtop of it.

I need to get back on my C10... SOOOOOOOOOOO much easier to work on.
                Last edited by Jesse James 80; June 5, 2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

What's really fun is trying to replace the MC after you've added a Mustang Steve cable clutch kit that goes almost overtop of the MC as well with the factory brace with an export brace overtop of it.

I need to get back on my C10... SOOOOOOOOOOO much easier to work on.
                  From the pics I've seen your truck is a neat ride too.

I feel your pain. I've had a 79 C10 for a couple years now and I had most everything set for the LS swap when I decided to remodel the house. It's been a year now since I touched the truck. Edit: This was plan A until the house project took over.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8080.JPG Views:	1 Size:	147.4 KB ID:	1203732
                  Last edited by 74NovaMan; June 5, 2018, 01:58 PM.
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• I need someone to LOCK my tool box and hide my jack and stands! IF not I will be working on the wagon up until the second we leave!

Comment

• Last minute brake job tonight the rear brakes were dragging on the passenger side rear. I took it up to fill it up today and heard a grinding in the rear. I asked my son who has had the car playing with if he heard it and he said yeah what was it. I told him did you think to mention it to someone who's about to take a long trip in it. I guess that's what shake down runs are for but she's all good now. We are just leaving on Thursday instead of Wednesday now so I can get the grass mowed tomorrow.
                      Last edited by pintoboy77; June 5, 2018, 04:21 PM.
                      Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• Just took the center section out of the rear end of the Mustang tonight. Getting noisier as days go by. picking up a gasket tomorrow to put in a used unit I have laying around. Hope that works. It's up on stands and apart now.
                        74 Nova Project
                        66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Started the car started loosing power steering. Looked under the hood pulleys were barely turning. Everything other than the alternator was fine before and it quit from something burning out inside and not the pulley or bearings. I will take the belt off and check the pulleys and maybe get a new belt. Worked late today and then a doctor's appointment, so didn't get anything done.
                          Don't want to miss the tour this year; likely won't go at all next year if its that far east.
                          Only good thing is that it happened at home. Would be bad to break down 500 miles from home.

Comment

• The only thing my car needs now is to be packed up.
                            I detailed it today and checked all fluids/air pressures.
                            2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
                            1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
                            1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

• Guess I put the belt on wrong. I will try again tomorrow. That still leaves the wheel bearing to deal with. I should probably check the other side to see if it's bad too.

Comment

• Oil changed, air filter cleaned and re-oiled ( K&N ), detailed, pack, and other assorted details, what am I doing, sitting in the shop drinking a cold beer. Tomorrow I'll be mad at myself, but heck I'm on vacation and it won't take much for me and my two knothead's to get there. Down to the wire as always, self induced! oops old habits, I am on vacation but when it's over I start the real vacation.
                                Last edited by corvettedad; June 6, 2018, 07:09 PM.
                                Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                                If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Working...
                                X