Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your car need b4 the power tour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots! Just dug it out of the corner of the garage on Saturday. It has been sitting since 1990. How about engine, transmission, rear leaf springs, shocks, brakes & new tires for the original SS wheels. On the positive side I already have most of what I need to do that. And of course the usual PT "insurance" things that I do not want to do on the side of the road -- Radiator/heater hoses, belt(s), repack wheel bearings, U-joints, etc. And lots of things that will most likely pop up as it goes along.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NovaSS#3.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1028328
    ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

• Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post

That looks really sharp! Hope to see it in person.
      Thanks! The difference in comfort is like sitting on wood floor vs. a couch! To be fair, the seat foams were originals that someone just glued 1/4" foam over top of and reupholstered them about 10 years ago, so not a fair comparison, however the added bolstering of the TMI Sport Seat I amps up the "feel" and comfort. I feel like I'm sitting "in" the seat now, and not "on" it.

I just have to finish up the dash work and install new front springs/alignment. The GT springs I installed last year combined with the Shelby drop just sit the nose too damn low. Even with fully rolled fenders the DS scrubs on sharp turns, not cool for the unknown terrain of the powertour! I hope to raise the nose at least 1/2" and it will still look lower than stock.

Originally posted by 67 Malibu View Post
      Lots! Just dug it out of the corner of the garage on Saturday. It has been sitting since 1990. How about engine, transmission, rear leaf springs, shocks, brakes & new tires for the original SS wheels. On the positive side I already have most of what I need to do that. And of course the usual PT "insurance" things that I do not want to do on the side of the road -- Radiator/heater hoses, belt(s), repack wheel bearings, U-joints, etc. And lots of things that will most likely pop up as it goes along.

Wow... you better get busy!

I just recently swapped to a 1 wire alternator and electric fans... you can bet as insurance I'm bringing the old clutch fan and alternator with me!
      Last edited by Jesse James 80; May 4, 2015, 08:12 AM.
      1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
      1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
      1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

• Those seat do look nice -
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

• Started cleaning up the bullet and doing prep work yesterday...Sean found the front sway bar had just about broken off on the passenger side, and , the lower control arms are also failing due to the torque of a modified SC V6... placed orders for a new sway bar and chrome moly lower control arms... hope they get here on time!! ordered a chrome moly rear strut tower brace since we are getting ready and they have been limited availability!

ZZP Rear Strut Tower Braces

Item #: ZZ-STBRC-R-BLACK

T

Black Red / add $10.00
          Option 1: 97-03 04+ / add $20.00
          Update price

Quantity:

ZZPerformance is proud to sell the Grand Prix market's first chrome moly strut tower braces! Our strut tower braces connect to the top of the vehicle's strut mounting points to add structural rigidity. This improves handling by reducing chassis flex during cornering.

We have engineered our braces to be simple, cost effective and absolutely state of the art. Our competitor sells an eBay product weighing in at ~12 pounds, made from mild steel. Our product is not only stronger than any mild steel part on the market, but it is lighter too! In fact, our strut tower brace weighs under 3 pounds! Using the alloy combined with premium tig welding, we have made a super-strong, super-light, great looking part.

Combined with our components and you'll have that show quality look under the hood!

ZZP Control Arms for WBody

Item #: ZZ-WBCA-BLACK-ELNK

Black
          Option 2: With sway bar end links w/o sway bar end links / subtract $20.00
          Update price

Quantity:

ZZPerformance chrome moly A arms hold the wheels securely. With better control over camber and toe the car will corner, brake and stop better. Launch times are improved by preventing wheel toe in, torque steer is reduced.

Features:
          • 4130 tubing
          • E80 fill rod welds
          • Stainless steel spacer for heim joint
          • Poly rear mount
          • Heavy duty ball joint
          • Powder coating for durable long lasting finish
          • Pair sheds 6 pounds of weight
          Works on 97-03 w-body vehicles.

(Longer spacer on bottom), please check sway bar to CV clamp clearance and flip sway bar if there is an issue.

GMPP Front Sway Bar

Item #: GM-12498643

Availability: In Stock
          Option 1: Polyurethane Endlinks / add $12.00
          Update price

Quantity:

When you enter corners, does your Wbody feel more like a snow plow than a performance car? It's the thin and weak sway bars on your car! This plowing is caused by excessive body roll that loads the outside tires which creates understeer, sloppy handling and most of all a dangerous situation if you ever need to make any sudden manuevers. The GM performance parts sway bars can take care of this. The 34mm front is thicker and stronger than OEM sway bars.

If you want an even stiffer solid front sway bar check the Progress front bar out.

Includes new rubber bushings(unless you order it with the poly end links), everything needed to do the install!

Optional:
          Polyurethane replacement front sway bar end links and bolts.

Last edited by silver_bullet; May 8, 2015, 03:28 PM.
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Working on maintenance items right now. Doing shocks/struts, radiator hoses, and new ground cable today. I was hoping to have the 5 lug conversion done before the tour but time is not on my side.
            1990 LX coupe, 1986 Thunderbird, 2004 Torch Red Mach 1
            http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/a...psa33c367c.jpg

Comment

• Had to fix a front oil seal leak this weekend now I just have to put the front end back together today and then put some miles on her. Then my daughter in law wants to clean her up for me she likes doing that stuff she's not fooling me she just wants to drive the car.
              Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• Just got the front seat into the upholstery shop this morning. Back seat goes in tomorrow as soon as the new seat covers get here. Also took the radiator into the shop for an upgrade. Two core to three core. So far everyone is saying everything will be done by the weekend prior to our departure. Now I just need to find the time to do the engine/trans swap.
                ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

• Looks like brake hoses are on the list now as well. I did pick up a nice electric fan though. That should help with that southern heat!
                  1990 LX coupe, 1986 Thunderbird, 2004 Torch Red Mach 1
                  http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/a...psa33c367c.jpg

Comment

• Rear wheel cylinder gave up the ghost so now I need that and new rear brake shoes since one side has a nice coating of brake fluid.

Comment

• I'm *almost* done with Shelby. I redid the front suspension this past weekend (car was too low, wheels scrubbed on fenders in turns with dips when turned out). What a pain in the ass. I ordered new "stock height" springs that were anything but! They actually lowered the damn car another 1/2" from what it was already lowered! That really pissed me off. I had the whole DS apart and back together before I realized this. Really glad I decided to do one side at a time. And that was without driving around to let it settle. ARRRRRRRRRRRGH! I finally went with a 1/4" spacer on top of the spring and did the "roller perch modification" where you move the roller perch out 1" which further corrects suspension geometry and raises the car. As of right now it sits 1-1/2" higher than before, but I'm sure it will come down at least 1/2" after I get some miles on it.

After I get some miles on it, it needs a new front end alignment and my new tires installed (have them already).

The interior is finally "done". I just have to get my dash cluster back in along with the new tach.

The most important thing is to torture test my new cooling system. If I can't sit in traffic for an hour+ with the A/C blasting my week will be an absolute living hell with my wife. I'd be putting her on a plane home.

So, aside from probably the alignment (which shouldn't be too far off, it was just done last year, but raising the car definitely changed the camber) the car *should* be ready this weekend. I plan to put some serious miles on her the next few weeks.
                      Last edited by Jesse James 80; May 14, 2015, 06:24 AM.

Comment

• Was able to get the AC done today pulled vacuum and it held.....so I charged it with 40 oz of r134 & 3 oz of oil.......took it for a 6 mile drive cooling as good will drive it to dinner tonight about 40 miles round trip to the City Diner Cafe......now that leaves the rear brakes, oil change, oil sender, new u joints and driveshaft balance, adjust headlights, add new satellite antenna, and detail truck.....then install traveling toolbox and pack up...............
                        That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

• this weekend..... fuel pump, power steering pump, reliable spare tire, seat tear fix, oil change, etc..... just in time, lol.
                          1967 Firebird 400

Comment

• For the first time in almost a year, my car has a dash... and a tach for the first time ever... there's a lot of behind the scenes work that went into this pic!

Oh and.... WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Comment

• Get that conditioned air going boys and girls....today the temp is 71* and humidity is 100%. Trying to have a productive day on the internets while setting on the back porch and sweating like a Hebrew slave.
                              I have ADD with a lazy feature.....according to my wife!

Comment

• This weekend it gets a tune up, oil change, trans fluid and rear diff fluid change. Also need a spare tire since my old one wont fit over the new front disc brakes. Nothing serious, just little stuff.
                                1964 Chevelle
                                Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
                                LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

Working...
                                X