Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your car need b4 the power tour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoping that keeping this updated keeps me motivated as I'm running out of time (I want at least 5 or 6 weeks of shakedown time, the wife is going with, if the car fails, she'll never go again.) I do not want to take the 2011 Mustang.

The intake is back on the car.

100 amp one wire alternator is on the car, and I've gotten everything to hook it up.

T5 has been pulled. I rebuilt it myself about 4000 miles ago but have a vibration in gear, out of gear, sitting still or going down the road at about 2,300rpm. I'm pretty sure its the cheap ebay flywheel I used so I purchased an $$$ Ram clutch and flywheel combination. Great news is that I cracked the trans open and it looks awesome.

I noticed some oil at the back of the pan and I'm not sure if it was run down from the intake leak or a rear main leak, so I pulled the pan to replace that as well.

When the big brown truck comes I hope to have a lot of parts to put on the car.

At a minimum, I hope to have the rear main seal, oil pan, and trans back in the car this weekend so I can drop it down to finish the efan. An optimistic approach would be running, but I think two weeks is more reasonable.
    Last edited by Jesse James 80; March 31, 2015, 06:16 AM.
    1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
    1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
    1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Need gas in the tank and my a@@ in the seat...Lets roll
      PT 2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2014-2015
      1970 EL CAMINO

Comment

Originally posted by BLUE STREAK View Post
        Need gas in the tank and my a@@ in the seat...Lets roll
        ditto on that........oil and filter done, new plugs, valves checked.....after loading tools and supplies, ready to go.......rexx!

Comment

Just finished a/c shocks,ball joints , all brakes , reman 306,c4 trans, wheels and tires..need a prayer and fuel. and the first week of June

Comment

Originally posted by dana5 View Post
            Just finished a/c shocks,ball joints , all brakes , reman 306,c4 trans, wheels and tires..need a prayer and fuel. and the first week of June
            Dana, we will be at the Bama Cruise in April. If y'all are there, be on the look out for us. We'll be in my white '69 Camaro, more than likely.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

I sure will look u up

Comment

Kinda jealous of the "ready to go" guys...

Last night I got the old pilot bearing out. I replaced the oil pump shaft with an ARP one because the old one fell out when I pulled the distributor and I don't want that to ever happen again! I had to re-clock the one wire alternator and I started wiring the alternator and e-fan.

No more pulling parts... it's back together time!

Comment

James looks like you are right on time.

Comment

I still have a few tuning issues with the Terminator. FIX the AC! Its going to be HOT!

Comment

Originally posted by dana5 View Post
                      James looks like you are right on time.
                      I hope so.

I did have a setback... the $ Kevlar pilot bushing I installed sucked. I got it in a tiny bit crooked and because it's a little on the "soft" side I COULD NOT get the crooked side seated... ended up damaging it... going back with a simple parts shelf roller bearing for a T5.

I might have found my vibration problem. When I pulled my old flywheel, I noticed it was "loose" on the crank hub. Maybe 1/34-1/16, but enough that it could wiggle around. If that wasn't dead nuts center when I tightened it down (which is likely wasn't because it's heavy and was likely bearing on the top of the crank when I tightened it down) I bet that was my vibration. The new RAM flywheel fit really snug, like I could get it on, but really had to push it by hand.
                      Last edited by Jesse James 80; April 2, 2015, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Lots of checking and double checking... youtube, VMF, my Small Block Ford Book, and I have what I hope is correctly lubed, sealed, and torqued rear main seal (and retorqued crank in the proper sequence), Ram Flywheel, clutch, bell, and starter are all back on. I have to work tomorrow and maybe sunday (had a group pow wow on thursday, we're getting behind and need to catch up - actually a good thing... it's been a long time since I worked a weekend, kinda sucks its one I really need to work on the car) so this may be all I get done for the weekend. I have to install the new input shaft in my T5, re-shim it, and reseal it. I also think the motor is ready for the oil pan.

This isn't my first rodeo with clutches, I've installed a lot of them in my youth (I think I may have worked the pedals a little too hard ) and a little trick I learned on the clutch disk was to get the pressure plate to where you can still just barely move the clutch, the move it all the way straight down, all the way straight up with the alignment tool installed, then back to where you think the middle is, then snug it down with a couple bolts. If your alignment tool now slips in and out really easy your trans will slip right in.

Hope all my ramblings aren't too boring... updating this really keeps me motivated. Yes, that's a 1998 V6 T5... just as strong as the pre 1993 V8 ones.
                        Last edited by Jesse James 80; April 3, 2015, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Oil change, good wax job, led lights for rear foot wells, check everything over good hmmm

Comment

Recently Done
                            Engine/Trans Mounts
                            Seats Reupholstered
                            Bumper Painted
                            Trailer Hitch Installed
                            Trailer light wiring installed
                            Tailights Painted (did my self not happy with it but can live with it for a while)
                            Purchased Cargo Box for Trailer

Still needed
                            Bumper put back on
                            Taillights put back on
                            Build and by Trailer
                            License Trailer
                            Oil Change
                            Spark Plug and Wires
                            Spring Checklist
                            Check Distributor Seal
                            Rear Tires replace

Hope to have the car on the road in the next 2 weeks...

Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

^Nice!

lol @ build and buy trailer... are ya gonna build it or buy it (I think you mean buy a trailer and modify it, but I just thought that was funny).

I was at work most of yesterday but I put a late night in the garage and got the bottom of the motor buttoned up and the T5 mostly back together. She will be running next weekend.

Comment

Did a 40 mile drive the other day,(longest since the car has been on the road), other than some carb tuning it seems mechanically good to go. Need to finish up some trim and other minor issues, but I should be good for Power Tour !

Comment

Working...
                                X