Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your car need b4 the power tour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well....first I blew the LS1 in the C5 1.5 months ago. Then I also found out my turbos we destroyed as well. The new forged motor was dropped out of the back of the fedex truck and destroyed. The second new forged motor and new turbos were installed and then my balancer came off. That's where things went really bad. The oil from the front seal soaked the header wrap and caught fire. Engine harness, O2's, turbo lines, and clutch hose were destroyed on Thursday. Motor and tranny are out now for the second time and wiring is being repaired. I just picked up new braided hoses today. Hopefully the car will be together tomorrow and will go to tuning.

Plan B was my 67 Galaxie, which went in to have the front windshield resealed, but that didn't work out. The shop broke it. I am waiting on a replacement that will probably arrive next week during PT.

I am prepping plan C now, my 01 Lightning. I am hoping that the vette will make it, but judging by my previous luck who knows.

By the way this is a repeat of 2013. My Galaxie killed the motor 1.5 months before heading to Texas. We did make it, but it was tight. Power tour is cursed! I have never replaced a blown motor until power tour, only upgraded motors for better ones.
    00 TT C5 Convertible Nassau Blue
    67 Galaxie
    01 SVT Lightning
    68 M35A2
    69 GTO
    05 Crown Vic LX Sport
    27 T

Comment

• That is some horrendous luck! Hopefully you can get everything back together in time.
      1990 LX coupe, 1986 Thunderbird, 2004 Torch Red Mach 1
      http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/a...psa33c367c.jpg

Comment

• My goodness - worst string of luck I've heard of. Let's hope things get better ASAP !! Like NOW.
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

• Man- that is tuff luck, I'm thinking Lucky would be a good screen name. Sounds like my EFI adventures.
          I have ADD with a lazy feature.....according to my wife!

Comment

• Originally posted by satta3 View Post

I'd be doing a lot of this , then this, , then some of this , spend a lot of this , and then hopefully, you'll make it!

I made the mistake of trying to "tweak" my carb. Spent most of yesterday after work trying to get it back to where I had it. I think it's 95% there, still feels a little low on power in 5th gear, hopefully a timing tweak will fix it. I took the top of the carb off to check the dry and wet float settings and they were both a good bit lower than factory settings, so I messed with it... first it flooded, then I dropped it down, ran better but not great... so I dropped it again. Should have left it alone.

I'll be working late tonight. I'm way behind on a project at work, but my boss told me if I write up detailed instructions on what needs to be finished on Friday I can pass it off! So I'll be making some tweaks and packing tomorrow night.
            Last edited by Jesse James 80; June 3, 2015, 07:20 AM.
            1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
            1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
            1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

• My engine work went south so I went off the deep end pulled it and overhauled it Sunday and Monday... Not what I wanted to do on he Tuesday before the trip. But we are back in action!
              Last edited by riche; June 3, 2015, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by riche View Post
                My engine work went south so I went off the deep end pulled it and overhauled it Sunday and Monday... Not what I wanted to do on he Tuesday before the trip. But we are back in action!
                What did you find causing the valve problem?

Comment

• I thought I was having an oil problem, I did have the valve guide clearance issue. But after I cut the valve guides it was still eating pushrods and tapping. I believe it was the lifters, a few were dumping oil so I think that was causing loss of pressure. I cleaned out the passages and overhauled the bottom end. New roller cam and heads. I hope I don't have to go back in for a long time.

Comment

• Wow after reading these post my luck is not as bad as I thought. Drove the car for the first time last week after the LS swap. Brakes were terrible so called the manufacturer and it appears the master cylinder is bad, They said they shipped it Friday from Ohio to Virginia and I haven't seen it yet. It is supposed to be on the UPS truck today and we are supposed to leave 7 am in the morning. I was really hoping to put some test miles on it before taking off but that's not going to happen. UPS doesn't run until 3:30 or so. We already have the old master cylinder off as the new one was supposed to arrive yesterday.

I am really nervous about hitting the road in this car at this point.
                    http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...pssichgwqu.jpg

Comment

• Right now my car needs a real good wash.
                      1964 Chevelle
                      Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
                      LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

• Well ended up having a bad freeze plug, got that changed out. Started having carb issues on the way to get an alignment. Chased that all yesterday, ended up being a warped metering block. Today is finishing up minor stuff and getting ready for tomorrow. Luckily I'm only an hour from Madison. LOL

Comment

• Added a new cam and lifters to the motor. Last Comp Cam lifter connecter bar went for a hike after 5k miles and was ended up taking out a cam lobe. New bearings and valve springs (old ones were too strong). Excited to hear it run again. Then re-install...
                          69 SS

Comment

• Well plan A needs a bunch. Plan B needs a wash and load it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by A BAD SS View Post
                              Added a new cam and lifters to the motor. Last Comp Cam lifter connecter bar went for a hike after 5k miles and was ended up taking out a cam lobe. New bearings and valve springs (old ones were too strong). Excited to hear it run again. Then re-install...
                              Welcome back Steve - I was just wondering about ya the other day.
                              Phil / Omaha

Comment

• Since this will be my 1st Tour I'll have a new conv top on, new valve springs and cruise control. Non of these are necessary, but it's a good reason to do over the winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X