Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your car need b4 the power tour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, we took the C10 out on a shakedown run a couple days back. Dad had done a brake job and packed wheel bearings, and I'd done some carb adjustments as it was bogging under heavy throttle. We wanted to see how it'd do, plus with the new quieter mufflers, I wanted to see if we could actually hear the stereo. Improved all around, at least enough to drive and not be totally embarrassing!

On our run from Cleveland to Presque Isle and back we averaged 13mpg (about half of what the Marauder gets! ha!). I'll admit that I was hoping for closer to 15-16, after all the truck isn't that heavy and we aren't running a radical rear gear. I think the lack of O/D hurts a bit, but it's not a huge deal - it's an opportunity to stop and chat with folks at gas stations! And anyway, it's not the Gas Mileage Tour........... :D

So the to-do list is short now, and none are mandatory:
    -alignment (slight pull, barely perceptible)
    -make a storage box for inside the bed
    -mount spare tire under bed (shouldn't be too hard)
    -make my hillbilly swamp cooler

Dad wants to try and align the doors a little better, and I admit that'd be nice, but then we might be inspired to start doing actual bodywork! LOL
    2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
    1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
    1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

• Passenger door works good driver side the outside handle sticks. Still need to put in the body bushings I bought.

Comment

• Originally posted by stu yoakam View Post

I have to move the speakers from middle to outside if I want to use my "new" dash pad. DD has a random misfire code and Idk what to do about. Did plugs coils, damaged wire on one coil timing belt and water pump. Also intake and valve cover gaskets and PCV valve as it was stuck.
        I got a new scan tool and it says one side is lean and the other is rich. Also says all the misfires are on the pass side. I got new injectors today and hopefully will have them in tomorrow. I think the intake is leaking despite the new gasket.

Comment

• Next time I'm up north I'll get the starter out of the Cutlass and decide if we're going to get it rebuilt locally or send it back to Powermaster for a rebuild.
          I R Bob
          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

• Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
            Next time I'm up north I'll get the starter out of the Cutlass and decide if we're going to get it rebuilt locally or send it back to Powermaster for a rebuild.
            Its too cold and wet to work outside today. Every time I mess with a starter I wish I had a light weight one. Just can't justify the expense. A mini starter would have more clearance around the headers... Also need header plugs the next time too.

Comment

• Originally posted by stu yoakam View Post

Its too cold and wet to work outside today. Every time I mess with a starter I wish I had a light weight one. Just can't justify the expense. A mini starter would have more clearance around the headers... Also need header plugs the next time too.
              This is a mini starter but the Cutlass doesn't have headers on it anyway. That reminds me, I need to find a place around here to bend up a new exhaust for it. Donna wants it louder! She can't hear it if the truck is running.
              I R Bob
              2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

• If you can't be fast you can at least be loud. I had mufflers but no turn downs. Then got tail pipes and now its too quiet. Used to come out the side behind tires now its all the way out back and around the POS trailer hitch that is barely attached. If they asked, I would have said to just cut it off. If I had it to do over, I think I would not have gone to headers. Can't get to the plugs, burned the wires, had to have the pipes redone and later bought boot sleeves and wire separators. Ceramic coating is coming off. Had to retighten the bolts several times. Paper gaskets blew out...

Comment

I need to find a place around here to bend up a new exhaust for it.
                  Not sure if 'around here' is Mentor or Michigan, but if it's Mentor...avoid that place on 615 across from the Chevy dealer...ask me how I know. We had Miller Automotive on Lake Shore do the C10 and are happy with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by a_d_a_m View Post
                    Not sure if 'around here' is Mentor or Michigan, but if it's Mentor...avoid that place on 615 across from the Chevy dealer...ask me how I know. We had Miller Automotive on Lake Shore do the C10 and are happy with it.
                    Around here is Mentor. The Cutlass and Lightning will be living in Mentor for the summer. They winter in Michigan. LOL.

Did the place on 615 do a good job? I had them do a little work on the Lightning exhaust and it was kind of a hack job.
                    I R Bob

Comment

• Maybe it’s time for headers on the Cutlass? The new ones are sure nice compared to back in the day when they leaked and stuff.
                      Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

This is a mini starter but the Cutlass doesn't have headers on it anyway. That reminds me, I need to find a place around here to bend up a new exhaust for it. Donna wants it louder! She can't hear it if the truck is running.
                        Bob, check out year one, they have exhaust for topless, in aluminized, or stainless... even chambered if Donna wants to get REAL loud!
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

Bob, check out year one, they have exhaust for topless, in aluminized, or stainless... even chambered if Donna wants to get REAL loud!
                          We have to watch because since we put the 200 4R in it, we had to move the tranny crossmember back. We had to cut the exhaust when we did that since the crossover would have hit the crossmember.
                          I R Bob

Comment

• I have full duals with no crossover. The headers are hedman ceramic coated shortys for A and G bodies. They have a ball and socket joint with no collector gaskets. The pipes are only two inches but with duals and only having around 250 Hp it is enough.

Comment

If you can weld I recommend Summit Racing® Universal Rod Builder Exhaust Kits SUM-670146

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-670146

Comment

Did the place on 615 do a good job? I had them do a little work on the Lightning exhaust and it was kind of a hack job.
                                Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, that's why I said 'avoid'!!! :D He was a total hack and I kept breaking muffler hangers. If you can't weld those, what the hell CAN you do?

I just remembered...Miller Automotive (the place that did the C10 exhaust that we are happy with) is owned by an Olds enthusiast. He may be worth a look.

Comment

Working...
                                X