Car Cruises and Ice Cream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyhow, back on topic ...

I remember pulling into an A&W drive-in and ordering burgers, fries and those gigantic mugs of frosty root beer through speakers next to your parking spot. Then brought to you on a tray by the waitress, who attached it to your side window and skated off.

Ahhh, the good ole days !!!

Unfortunately, the Sonic in town just closed down ... no more foot-long coney dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcyclone View Post
      We are in at Stoney Creek, looking forward to doing this again, and I can't remember why I was up on the table except to get a better view, think maybe there was more to this pic we are missing, Bucky you should really try to make this if you can, it's a blast. And I know you will just have to make a pass or 2 with Jade.
      Great!! sounds like a BS not so hostile takeover!! gotta get the bullet ready!!
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster View Post
        Unfortunately, the Sonic in town just closed down ... no more foot-long coney dogs.
        How can they do that? Just close down the Sonic?? Isn't that against the law?? bummer.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Anyhow, back on topic ...

I remember pulling into an A&W drive-in and ordering burgers, fries and those gigantic mugs of frosty root beer through speakers next to your parking spot. Then brought to you on a tray by the waitress, who attached it to your side window and skated off.

Ahhh, the good ole days !!!

Yep Steve, those were the days, Papa Burger, Teen Burger Chili Dogs and yes FROSTY Mugs....... Real Glass mugs at that. Nearest Sonic is an hour away....... Not so big on Sonic........ And..... And......AND A&W no longer has my favorite "Teen Burger"........
          200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
          Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Originally posted by 200WINS View Post
            Yep Steve, those were the days, Papa Burger, Teen Burger Chili Dogs and yes FROSTY Mugs....... Real Glass mugs at that. Nearest Sonic is an hour away....... Not so big on Sonic........ And..... And......AND A&W no longer has my favorite "Teen Burger"........
            A&W Teen burgers were my favorite in my small college town. But Sonic was our cruise place in high school. Didn't really eat there, but got cokes and cruised. I'm from Oklahoma and the headquarters for Sonic is in Oklahoma, so Sonic will always have a place in my heart. My favorite burger place is Braum's in Oklahoma. They raise their own beef and the burgers are GOOD!

Comment

We had an A&W less than a half hour away, in the middle of town, at the intersection of two busy highways. Then they put in a highway by-pass of the town and it didn't take long. Now the closest is about 50 minutes(A&W or Sonic).

And the Root beer floats were the best, in the glass mug. The best 'road burgers' I know of now are Steak and Shake, with Culver's being second. I'm not including places like TGI Fridays or Ruby Tuesdays, different category(but great burgers).

A couple of years ago I was stopping at Steak and Shake about everyday on Power Tour(and on the way to and from the Tour). I was actively looking for them and sometimes driving to the next city if I couldn't find one.

Comment

oh, Ed how many miles on 'earl's' new roommate? Looking good!

Comment

Around 350 since she came here, with 123K total on the clock....
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Originally posted by dianeokie View Post
                    A&W Teen burgers were my favorite in my small college town. But Sonic was our cruise place in high school. Didn't really eat there, but got cokes and cruised. I'm from Oklahoma and the headquarters for Sonic is in Oklahoma, so Sonic will always have a place in my heart. My favorite burger place is Braum's in Oklahoma. They raise their own beef and the burgers are GOOD!
                    Sonic is still kind of new in our area, they started popping up about five years ago or so. We stopped at Braum's on our way home home last year.

Originally posted by 99SS&92Z28 View Post
                    We had an A&W less than a half hour away, in the middle of town, at the intersection of two busy highways. Then they put in a highway by-pass of the town and it didn't take long. Now the closest is about 50 minutes(A&W or Sonic).

And the Root beer floats were the best, in the glass mug. The best 'road burgers' I know of now are Steak and Shake, with Culver's being second. I'm not including places like TGI Fridays or Ruby Tuesdays, different category(but great burgers).

A couple of years ago I was stopping at Steak and Shake about everyday on Power Tour(and on the way to and from the Tour). I was actively looking for them and sometimes driving to the next city if I couldn't find one.
                    I had a bad experience at Steak and Shake in Kansas City a long time ago and have never returned. Culver's is good and also kind of new to our area.

There is no equivalent to a Dairy Queen Blizzard...... IMHO that is......
                    200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                    Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Plenty of Sonic's around here. The son-in-law of one of our car club members owns about 20 of them in Missouri so we get discount coupons all of the time for give aways at our cruise-in's and our car show in September. We like DQ Blizzards but there is a small frozen custard chain in the area that can't be beat. Andy's Frozen Custard is the best damned custard you can eat. It is so smooth and creamy. Culvers custard is a little grainy by comparison.
                      Jim & Maureen
                      There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
                      HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

Anybody remember Whataburger ..
                        ... or White Castle ?
                        Last edited by Monster; March 12, 2013, 08:25 AM.

Comment

They are both still alive and well in various parts of the country.
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Anybody remember Whataburger ..
                            ... or White Castle ?
                            Will definitely see Whataburger if you go to Dallas. They have them in Texas.

Comment

There are some In-N-Out Burgers in the Dallas area too. Didn't realize it until after I got back from the Tour last year. I've never tried them, but I've heard good things.

In what city would I find a Braum's?

Closest Steak and Shake to me is over 300 miles away

Comment

Braum's has stores in Kansas and Oklahoma too.
                                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Working...
                                X