Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grancuda
    replied
    Been checking out this section for a while but never posted.

I'm in the process of changing over my '69 Road Runner from a strip only car to a highway car. The car was built/restored in the late 80's & raced a few years then garaged till I got it 2 years ago.

Car had 440 w/Holley 850 DP, 11.5:1 comp, 600/600 solid lift, crane roller valve train, MSD ignition, 3800 loose converter, reverse valve body 727, 9" ford w/4.56:1 spool, 4 gallon fuel cell. Mallory elec pump w/1/2 alum fuel line, electric water pump, small electric fan on a single core 22" radiator. Missing heater box, cables, controls. Missing wiper switch, harness, transmission. No lights work except 1 brake light. Luckily the thing isn't rubbed & it's not butchered & still has stock dash, seats & most of trunk floor, 12x10 hole is all for the fuel cell.

Got lots to do still to make this a driver & the months are passing by. Planning on/registered for the whole tour.

Here's a pic from about 18 months ago out at Tulsa Raceway Park.

Leave a comment:

• >>>>head
    replied
    Jay some more junkie hiccups on past tours, it all turns out good!

I had a nasty engine miss when crossing into Ohio while headed to Iowa in 2010 which found me visiting this local garage

Keith performing alternator transplant on 1oldgoat on the shoulder in Somewhere Illinois (2010)

Booby performing surgery on my junk's muffler hanger on location at GM proving ground (2011).

Letting the professionals tend to the muffler prior to driving back to Jersey from Michigan

Bernie

Leave a comment:

• 70chevyC-10
    replied
    Originally posted by >>>>head View Post
    Jay your not getting any younger, just do it. I am also from the Garden State and this will be my 7th tour. Worst case scenario is you rent a U-haul truck & trailer and carry her home. Such a scenario is not hypothetical, I personnally saw junkie 173rdherd haul is 53 Chevy wagon back to TX a few years back using U-haul livery. Personnally, I have had 2 tours interupted by mechanical challenges. While I didn't like it at the time, these minor incidents are now part of the lore.

Below are pics of Bruce's '50 Ford we found somewhere in Indiana farm country, 2011. Not only were there over a dozen junkies' cars pulled over but replacement parts were amoung the posse and a roadside repair got her rolling shortly.

They even had a hardy soul willing to hold up the Ford from rolling over in the ditch. When I drove past there was absolutely no where to park (no shoulders) and I would just be in the way anyway.
    Some other roadside gatherings -

and don't forget the GM Motor Medics at every stop (any car is eligible, not just GM)

Got Gas ?

Mike and FSK swapped a motor whilst enroute and never missed a stop - Pioneer Spirit.

Leave a comment:

• BLUE STREAK
    replied
    Originally posted by djinva View Post
    I guess I'm a lurker too. I am on here every couple days reading the posts but I usually do not comment.

We are planing the long haul again this year. It will be our 3rd straight. It is addictive. I can't wait.
    When are you leaving for Texas? I am leaving Friday morning. Maybe we can run some of the trip together. I will be leaving from Martinsville VA. Anyone else out there want to join us?

Leave a comment:

• >>>>head
    replied
    Originally posted by jay71vette View Post
    I'm a lurker... and FNG. I've been interested in doing the HRPT for a few years now. I'll be honest, I dream about it. But, I'm scared to drive a 42 yr old vehicle long distance since I have absolutely no mechanical ability whatsoever. I found this site and have been visiting often to live vicariously through you guys/gals. Since I'm in NJ, I think 2014 will be my year since the starting point will be NC. Worse case if something goes wrong, I have the car shipped home. Plus, my 8 yr old son will be a little older, and 'should' be more mature to handle a 10 day road trip in a tiny car.

Jay your not getting any younger, just do it. I am also from the Garden State and this will be my 7th tour. Worst case scenario is you rent a U-haul truck & trailer and carry her home. Such a scenario is not hypothetical, I personnally saw junkie 173rdherd haul is 53 Chevy wagon back to TX a few years back using U-haul livery. Personnally, I have had 2 tours interupted by mechanical challenges. While I didn't like it at the time, these minor incidents are now part of the lore.

Below are pics of Bruce's '50 Ford we found somewhere in Indiana farm country, 2011. Not only were there over a dozen junkies' cars pulled over but replacement parts were amoung the posse and a roadside repair got her rolling shortly.

Leave a comment:

• cobra
    replied
    Originally posted by 69SS 350 5 Speed View Post
    Just remember two things, 1) Don't sweat the small stuff and, 2) Everything is small stuff.

Leave a comment:

• jay71vette
    replied
    Thanks all ... You guys are clearly the 'heart & soul' of the Power Tour !

Leave a comment:

• wolf66
    replied
    i'm on here several times everyday. i dont post much just get on to keep updated on power tour info and see what other topics are being discussed. looking forward to my second power tour and meeting a few more of the bangshift crew.

Leave a comment:

• Bucky67
    replied
    I agree 100% with everything that has been posted thus far!!! I can also attest that if you break down, you'll seriously have an Army of people helping you out. I snapped a 12-Bolt rear-end in Montgomery back in 2011 and I've never seen so many people trying to help get the rear-end torn apart.

In Springfield back in 2010, a few cars were messed with in the hotel parking lot. Nothing stolen, but our air cleaners were removed. Once again, I had an Army of people looking down in the carburetor and trying to see if security saw anything. Point is; you won't find a better family!!

Leave a comment:

• 70chevyC-10
    replied
    Don't wait to do it Jay - go now while the getting is good. No guarantees we'll start in Charlotte next year or any other guarantees for that matter. I can pretty much guarantee you'll never break down and you'll have a boatload of family fun memories with your son too.

Leave a comment:

• 69SS 350 5 Speed
    replied
    Everybody has already said what you can expect from us. You also need to know that there are a bunch of Vettes on the tour every year and some of us are very familiar with the quirks and issues associated with C3's. The BS gang brings enough tools and spare parts to build a car. In 2011, I puked a water pump on my 69 Vette on the way to Cocoa Beach. We pulled off the interstate, I jumped in a friends 68 and we drove three miles to the parts store. We changed the pump, and were back on the road in less than 90 minutes. Just remember two things, 1) Don't sweat the small stuff and, 2) Everything is small stuff.
    Last edited by 69SS 350 5 Speed; March 7, 2013, 05:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied
    Besides, you're never alone ... not really.

Leave a comment:

• 200WINS
    replied
    Yep Jay, what they said....... Have your car checked and perform necessary maintenance, see if you can find someone who would be willing to teach and explain things about your car. There are plenty of people on tour that are willing to help you out if something should happen. Adventure it is!! Good show and scenic drives, you bet!! Making great friends for a lifetime, absolutely!!

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied
    Originally posted by jay71vette View Post
    I'm scared to drive a 42 yr old vehicle long distance since I have absolutely no mechanical ability whatsoever.
    As Bruce said, go through the car, do a few shorter shake-down cruises and then hop in with your son for the adventure of a lifetime !!!

Leave a comment:

• oletrux4evr
    replied
    Yeah, welcome! You'll never find a nicer, more helpful bunch of people than those that hang around this place. They're no different on the road, except maybe more of both....... You're gonna enjoy it, for sure.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X