Lurkers Let's Hear From You!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
    I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once, as I ever was.

I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    That's what I keep telling myself Phil!!!!! Bahahahahaha!!!!
    sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
    - George Orwell

Comment

I'm a lurker... and FNG. I've been interested in doing the HRPT for a few years now. I'll be honest, I dream about it. But, I'm scared to drive a 42 yr old vehicle long distance since I have absolutely no mechanical ability whatsoever. I found this site and have been visiting often to live vicariously through you guys/gals. Since I'm in NJ, I think 2014 will be my year since the starting point will be NC. Worse case if something goes wrong, I have the car shipped home. Plus, my 8 yr old son will be a little older, and 'should' be more mature to handle a 10 day road trip in a tiny car.

Comment

Originally posted by jay71vette View Post
        I'm a lurker... and FNG. I've been interested in doing the HRPT for a few years now. I'll be honest, I dream about it. But, I'm scared to drive a 42 yr old vehicle long distance since I have absolutely no mechanical ability whatsoever. I found this site and have been visiting often to live vicariously through you guys/gals. Since I'm in NJ, I think 2014 will be my year since the starting point will be NC. Worse case if something goes wrong, I have the car shipped home. Plus, my 8 yr old son will be a little older, and 'should' be more mature to handle a 10 day road trip in a tiny car.
        welcome. i wouldn't be overly concerned about breaking down. make sure you go thru the car before you leave (good tires, belts, hoses, fluids,plugs, etc) and if something still breaks (and it might) then you will find an army right behind you that will jump right in and be at your aid. there will be a phone list of bangshifters that you can call. i know from personnal experiance when my 50' Ford broke down just north of Indy two years ago. it was like a bangshift reunion.
        Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Yeah, welcome! You'll never find a nicer, more helpful bunch of people than those that hang around this place. They're no different on the road, except maybe more of both....... You're gonna enjoy it, for sure.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I'm scared to drive a 42 yr old vehicle long distance since I have absolutely no mechanical ability whatsoever.
            As Bruce said, go through the car, do a few shorter shake-down cruises and then hop in with your son for the adventure of a lifetime !!!

Comment

Yep Jay, what they said....... Have your car checked and perform necessary maintenance, see if you can find someone who would be willing to teach and explain things about your car. There are plenty of people on tour that are willing to help you out if something should happen. Adventure it is!! Good show and scenic drives, you bet!! Making great friends for a lifetime, absolutely!!
              200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
              Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Besides, you're never alone ... not really.

Comment

Everybody has already said what you can expect from us. You also need to know that there are a bunch of Vettes on the tour every year and some of us are very familiar with the quirks and issues associated with C3's. The BS gang brings enough tools and spare parts to build a car. In 2011, I puked a water pump on my 69 Vette on the way to Cocoa Beach. We pulled off the interstate, I jumped in a friends 68 and we drove three miles to the parts store. We changed the pump, and were back on the road in less than 90 minutes. Just remember two things, 1) Don't sweat the small stuff and, 2) Everything is small stuff.
                  Last edited by 69SS 350 5 Speed; March 7, 2013, 05:47 AM.
                  Jim & Maureen
                  There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
                  HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

Don't wait to do it Jay - go now while the getting is good. No guarantees we'll start in Charlotte next year or any other guarantees for that matter. I can pretty much guarantee you'll never break down and you'll have a boatload of family fun memories with your son too.
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

I agree 100% with everything that has been posted thus far!!! I can also attest that if you break down, you'll seriously have an Army of people helping you out. I snapped a 12-Bolt rear-end in Montgomery back in 2011 and I've never seen so many people trying to help get the rear-end torn apart.

In Springfield back in 2010, a few cars were messed with in the hotel parking lot. Nothing stolen, but our air cleaners were removed. Once again, I had an Army of people looking down in the carburetor and trying to see if security saw anything. Point is; you won't find a better family!!
                      sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                      - George Orwell

Comment

i'm on here several times everyday. i dont post much just get on to keep updated on power tour info and see what other topics are being discussed. looking forward to my second power tour and meeting a few more of the bangshift crew.

Comment

Thanks all ... You guys are clearly the 'heart & soul' of the Power Tour !

Comment

Originally posted by 69SS 350 5 Speed View Post
                            Just remember two things, 1) Don't sweat the small stuff and, 2) Everything is small stuff.
                            Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Jay your not getting any younger, just do it. I am also from the Garden State and this will be my 7th tour. Worst case scenario is you rent a U-haul truck & trailer and carry her home. Such a scenario is not hypothetical, I personnally saw junkie 173rdherd haul is 53 Chevy wagon back to TX a few years back using U-haul livery. Personnally, I have had 2 tours interupted by mechanical challenges. While I didn't like it at the time, these minor incidents are now part of the lore.

Below are pics of Bruce's '50 Ford we found somewhere in Indiana farm country, 2011. Not only were there over a dozen junkies' cars pulled over but replacement parts were amoung the posse and a roadside repair got her rolling shortly.

nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by djinva View Post
                                I guess I'm a lurker too. I am on here every couple days reading the posts but I usually do not comment.

We are planing the long haul again this year. It will be our 3rd straight. It is addictive. I can't wait.
                                When are you leaving for Texas? I am leaving Friday morning. Maybe we can run some of the trip together. I will be leaving from Martinsville VA. Anyone else out there want to join us?
                                PT 2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2014-2015
                                1970 EL CAMINO

Comment

Working...
                                X