Lurkers Let's Hear From You!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by >>>>head View Post
    Jay your not getting any younger, just do it. I am also from the Garden State and this will be my 7th tour. Worst case scenario is you rent a U-haul truck & trailer and carry her home. Such a scenario is not hypothetical, I personnally saw junkie 173rdherd haul is 53 Chevy wagon back to TX a few years back using U-haul livery. Personnally, I have had 2 tours interupted by mechanical challenges. While I didn't like it at the time, these minor incidents are now part of the lore.

Below are pics of Bruce's '50 Ford we found somewhere in Indiana farm country, 2011. Not only were there over a dozen junkies' cars pulled over but replacement parts were amoung the posse and a roadside repair got her rolling shortly.

They even had a hardy soul willing to hold up the Ford from rolling over in the ditch. When I drove past there was absolutely no where to park (no shoulders) and I would just be in the way anyway.
    Some other roadside gatherings -

and don't forget the GM Motor Medics at every stop (any car is eligible, not just GM)

Got Gas ?

Mike and FSK swapped a motor whilst enroute and never missed a stop - Pioneer Spirit.
    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Jay some more junkie hiccups on past tours, it all turns out good!

I had a nasty engine miss when crossing into Ohio while headed to Iowa in 2010 which found me visiting this local garage

Keith performing alternator transplant on 1oldgoat on the shoulder in Somewhere Illinois (2010)

Booby performing surgery on my junk's muffler hanger on location at GM proving ground (2011).

Letting the professionals tend to the muffler prior to driving back to Jersey from Michigan

Bernie
      nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Been checking out this section for a while but never posted.

I'm in the process of changing over my '69 Road Runner from a strip only car to a highway car. The car was built/restored in the late 80's & raced a few years then garaged till I got it 2 years ago.

Car had 440 w/Holley 850 DP, 11.5:1 comp, 600/600 solid lift, crane roller valve train, MSD ignition, 3800 loose converter, reverse valve body 727, 9" ford w/4.56:1 spool, 4 gallon fuel cell. Mallory elec pump w/1/2 alum fuel line, electric water pump, small electric fan on a single core 22" radiator. Missing heater box, cables, controls. Missing wiper switch, harness, transmission. No lights work except 1 brake light. Luckily the thing isn't rubbed & it's not butchered & still has stock dash, seats & most of trunk floor, 12x10 hole is all for the fuel cell.

Got lots to do still to make this a driver & the months are passing by. Planning on/registered for the whole tour.

Here's a pic from about 18 months ago out at Tulsa Raceway Park.

Comment

Originally posted by jay71vette View Post
          I'm a lurker... and FNG. I've been interested in doing the HRPT for a few years now. I'll be honest, I dream about it. But, I'm scared to drive a 42 yr old vehicle long distance since I have absolutely no mechanical ability whatsoever. I found this site and have been visiting often to live vicariously through you guys/gals. Since I'm in NJ, I think 2014 will be my year since the starting point will be NC. Worse case if something goes wrong, I have the car shipped home. Plus, my 8 yr old son will be a little older, and 'should' be more mature to handle a 10 day road trip in a tiny car.
          Here you go, nothing to it.

I can't really add anything else to what has already been said here about help along the way. You seem to be most wary of the trip itself & (suprise!) that's the adventure. That's where the memories are for us all. Can I get an amen?
          ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Amen!!
            200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
            Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Amen Mike
              FKA Redragtop
              (formerly known as)

Comment

Oh boy, after seeing those pics, now I'm really nervous (lol). Lately, I've been thinking about driving to the corvette museum in Bowling Green, KY ... then joining the HRPT in Chattanooga. If I do, I'm following that GM medic jeep closely !

Comment

amen
                  Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

48 posts since 2008 I beleive puts me firmly in lurker territory.
                    I have done partial HRPTs in 08 and 12 and will be doing my first long haul this year in my 2012 Challenger. I have a 66 Catalina wagon I am slowly working on and that will be a long haul car for sure.

Comment

Well I haven't been on here too long but I lurked for a while last year before joining. Last year was my first HRPT and it was incredible! I was booking hotels and signing up for the 2013 Tour a month or so after I got home. I'll be long hauling it again this year!

Here is what I'll be taking on the tour:

77/365 by Rwindy, on Flickr

Here is my route this year round trip. It will be about 5,000 miles (8,000 km) and I am looking forward to every minute out on the road!

Comment

I began lurking before the 08 tour when I long hauled (grand national). Disappeared for 2 years, was around here a bunch for the 11 tour which we long hauled (pink 2010 challenger). Met some of you on the 11 tour, made the starting line party at Cobra's (late), disappeared again, now I'm lurking again thinking about '14. Every 3 years seems about right for me, VERY interested in the route for '14.

Problems are part of the adventure. Had to rescue my parents in 2010 and bring them a minivan. They limped towards home, I headed their way with a truck and trailer, 10 hours apart when we started. Dad had u-joint issues in 08. Met a guy in 11 with a grand national when he had problems on the side of the highway and now I get drunk with him several times a year. Almost a bromance going on.

Wouldn't go back and change a thing about the past PTs.
                        Last edited by boosted buick; March 17, 2013, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Glad to see you come back! You and Pink Hemi.....right??
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I didn't lurk here today..
                            I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                              Glad to see you come back! You and Pink Hemi.....right??
                              correct

Comment

Originally posted by street72 View Post
                                I didn't lurk here today..
                                You're a good man Charlie Brown
                                FKA Redragtop
                                (formerly known as)

Comment

Working...
                                X