tail of the dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dianeokie View Post
    Honestly, unless you stay that direction Thursday night and get up REALLY early, you will struggle getting to Charlotte in time to punch your card. Lots of slow back road driving and twisties......... but I definitely recommend doing it. I did it in the rain and dark coming back from Indy after Power Tour 2011 (not my best idea) and also done it other times, as it's fairly close to NE Atlanta.......
    We talked about it again last night & decided that makes sense. Going in on it probably wouldn't work too good. I am now busy trying to figure out how to do it on the way home with the rest of the schedule that we need to keep.
    ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

i'm figuring 9 hours. leaving at seven to be at the track by 4
      Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

I will Run it if there a a few going to make the trip. I had plans to run the RTTH's event last year and the car was not ready So I am itching to run it now.

Comment

what about Mooresville, NC, on Saturday, after the long haulers' get together?....some folks going up to Mooresville?

Comment

I am thinking I want to run it on the way home on Saturday and all roads lead home no matter where they run.
            Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

I'm tackling this issue from the other end. Since I have to drive west to get to Texas, and the Dragon is west of home, I'm going to hit it on the way to Arlington. May 24th is the last day I have to work before tour, so may as well take my time getting to the start point. I'm aiming to get to Arlington on the 30th and hit Six Flags on Friday before tour starts.
              Non-denominational car nut.
              Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
              Do you go all the way?

Comment

Charles,when are you planning on heading west.We might go around the 27 or 28,maybe we can get together for the trip out.
                Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by rexdogg View Post
                  what about Mooresville, NC, on Saturday, after the long haulers' get together?....some folks going up to Mooresville?
                  i am. i already have reservations at quality inn. htrdharley is having the finish line party and there are shows at the mooresville motorcomplex and roush yates shop.
                  Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Hey Pinto let's hook up and run it together! you are going damn near to the same place for home and it would be a nice photo of my 80 fairmont and your pinto on the tail!
                    Last edited by Buckeye; March 31, 2013, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smalblock View Post
                      I have been driving the Tail of the Dragon since the mid 70's, both by motorcycle and car. It's a very scenic drive with lots of interesting places to stop. It can be a very slow drive. If anyone is planning to do the Cherohala Skyway and the Tail of the Dragon on the way to Charlotte and get your card stamped by 6 PM, you had better get an eary start. Google maps gives about 9 hours driving time which does not allow for traffic jams, ect. Spending the night in Tellico Plains area would be a big help. The Cherohala Skyway can be run at around 50 MPH except around the east end of it the curves get pretty tight.
                      just spoke with Jack & got some great ideas for our July trip
                      thanks again Jack
                      2007 Power Tour Long Haul
                      2008 Power Tour Long Haul
                      2009 Canadian Points East Tour
                      2009 Power Tour Michigan Stop
                      2011 Power Tour Muskegeon & Detroit Stops
                      2012 Power Tour Long Haul
                      2012 Northeast Rod Run
                      2013 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

I am planning on driving the Tail Of The Dragon on Saturday and taking my time I don't have to be back to work until Tuesday and that would be a nice cool down run,but will have see how the wife feels about it at that time I don't forsee any problem with it.
                        Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Sounds like a plan.
                          Todd Des Moines IA HRPT 08 Short Haul 4 STOPS ----HOOKED LH 09,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18 Planning 19

Comment

we had plans to leave Chattanooga and head toward Arkansas, skipping Charlotte, so....is it feasible or doable to leave Chattanooga and do the tail of the dragon and get back toward Nashville before it gets too late?? The maps I am seeing aren't real helpful on that!

Comment

I am planning on driving the Tail Of The Dragon on Saturday and taking my time I don't have to be back to work until Tuesday and that would be a nice cool down run,but will have see how the wife feels about it at that time I don't forsee any problem with it.
                              I think this is loosely our plan as well were in with ya for sat after the LH ceremony if its cool

Comment

here is some pretty good info

Comment

Working...
                                X