Another rookie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another rookie question

Ok leaving from Atlanta on May 31 and will drive as far as I can, then get up Sat June 1st and finish the drive. If all goes well I should be in Arlington by noon. Is this OK? When does the sign in start and finish that day? What else do I need to know about the first day. I just do not want to screw this up. It will be my first Long Haul .. Thanks in advance for the help and advise

Registration should start early on Saturday and go all day (till ~ 5:00pm). The most important thing to do is get your credentials punched at the main stage. Then hitting the MSD both for magnets is always a priority for me. You should spend some time going through the vendor area attempting to figure out who is giving what away and when. After that - it is your vacation so you need to do as you please.

Comment

Great advice. So noon to show up is ok? I just can't get off work on Thursday so this is about the best I can do. We will drive hard to get as far as possible and barring any issues it is 13 hours from my house to Arlington. With gas and food stops, I guess it will be 16 or so. We should be able to get there by noon.......I hope

Comment

Originally posted by Georgia_Model_A View Post
        Great advice. So noon to show up is ok? I just can't get off work on Thursday so this is about the best I can do. We will drive hard to get as far as possible and barring any issues it is 13 hours from my house to Arlington. With gas and food stops, I guess it will be 16 or so. We should be able to get there by noon.......I hope
        I have to strongly suggest you either find a way to get Thursday off or get closer to DFW area Friday night. There is construction EVERYWHERE YOU GO around here and traffic is a pain in the ass...even on Saturday.
        I used to run to the Atlanta Dragstrip from here (Fort Worth) for a weekend of racing. You can make it here in 12-15 hours depending on Atlanta traffic.
        Last edited by TexasMarkVII; April 1, 2013, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Georgia_Model_A View Post
          Originally posted by TexasMarkVII View Post
          I have to strongly suggest you either find a way to get Thursday off or get closer to DFW area Friday night. There is construction EVERYWHERE YOU GO around here and traffic is a pain in the ass...even on Saturday.
          I used to run to the Atlanta Dragstrip from here (Fort Worth) for a weekend of racing. You can make it here in 12-15 hours depending on Atlanta traffic.
          Georgia_Model_A - You might consider leaving Thursday evening after work, then trying to get at least 2 and 1/2 hours or more toward Texas. It will make the Friday drive much easier. I'm leaving Wednesday after work and going to Oxford/Anniston, getting up early and driving on in to Oklahoma to run Hallett Friday morning. I'm from Oklahoma, so I've kind of learned the roads, and as I get older, I hate driving through and being exhausted.

Comment

last year was my first tour so i think i will have a better idea of what is going on this year. i missed out on the magnets till about the 3rd or 4th day last year. i will be getting magnets & vendor freebies right after i get to the time stamp. i was able to get some magnets from others here on the board but im still short day1 of the MSD set.

Comment

Georgia, Listen to everyone who is telling you to plan on getting there early.. If your plan is to get you there by noon on Saturday and you hit traffic and maybe a small break down, you will miss day one..Now all you can do is try to catch up..We always plan on getting to the first stop by Friday morning,we register on Friday and have the whole day Saturday to do what ever we want, but usually wind up spending the whole day at the venue meeting our new 4000 best friends.. And the last few years MSD wasn't the only one's giving out magnets. Ask a lot of questions, we will help you through it, and NO question is to dumb to ask.. We were all newbies at one time..And we will explain about buying rounds when we meet you..Welcome
              I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

Thanks ......I will work on getting off one extra day. Thanks for the advise

Comment

Originally posted by TexasMarkVII View Post
                  Is it mostly interstate from Atlanta to DFW area? Any tips on route? I'm actually leaving from Greenville,SC on Thursday so I'll be coming down I-85 south through Atlanta.
                  2011 Long Hauler
                  2011 Corvette Grand Sport-650 HP Edelbrock Eforce SC 6 speed paddleshift auto

1979 Pontiac Trans Am-800 hp 5 speed Richmond Super Street OD with Long shifter

Comment

I 20 and don't get off until you are there. Is my plan......let us know about the construction please
                    Last edited by Georgia_Model_A; April 2, 2013, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomasmoto View Post
                      Is it mostly interstate from Atlanta to DFW area? Any tips on route? I'm actually leaving from Greenville,SC on Thursday so I'll be coming down I-85 south through Atlanta.
                      My advice is to stay on I-20, run to south Arlington and run up to the venue. DO NOT look at the map and assume jumping on I-30 will be shorter and faster. I-30 runs through south Dallas. There is a section lovingly called the Mix Master where it can (and WILL) back up fast.
                      For those of you coming in on I-30, I advise you to do the speed limit. There are some speed trap cities, Royce City in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomasmoto View Post
                        Yes, pretty much all interstate until you get to your hotel or the venue! Just remember to pass through Atlanta sometime between 10-3, otherwise, you'll be in a heap of traffic.

Comment

We learned the first year to plan on being there & ready to go when the venue opens on Saturday morning. Now, if we can pull it off, we are there by noon on Friday. If you are preregistered, you can pick up your credentials on Friday afternoon. That packet gives you the "short line" into the event on Saturday morning & allows you to sleep in a bit longer or take a little longer at breakfast if you so desire.
                          ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

OK guys, thanks for the info. I-20, here I come.
                            Last edited by Thomasmoto; April 3, 2013, 01:41 PM.
                            2011 Long Hauler
                            2011 Corvette Grand Sport-650 HP Edelbrock Eforce SC 6 speed paddleshift auto

1979 Pontiac Trans Am-800 hp 5 speed Richmond Super Street OD with Long shifter

Comment

Thanks for the insight! I am also a first timer and the Mrs. and me can't wait to get on the road. We are leaving from Detroit on what I believe is the great American road trip!

Comment

Working...
                              X