A Pessimist's guide to Powertour.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Pessimist's guide to Powertour.

Well I like to pretend to be an optimist every now and then but deep down (survival instinct perhaps?) my pessimistic nature kicks in. Perhaps what's why Bucky and I get along so well since we balance each other out..

Enough of my blathering here are things you shouldn't look forward to:
    • Traffic Jams
    • Our car overheating because of traffic jam
    • Event organizers not giving a damn you're stuck in a line of cars
    • Picture guy wanting you to smile while sweating your keister off stuck in the traffic jam the event organizers could have easily avoided
    • person in front of you in traffic jam riding the brakes in his new corvette auto with the a/c cranked without care your left knee is three more hard clutch disengagements away from reconstructive knee surgery.
    • poor planning making you follow the route through the only bridge in town that happens to be down to one lane at the moment causing another traffic jam
    • arriving late to the venue and having to park in BFE in the former fairground demo derby track an hour after it rained
    • seeing 12 other cars identical to yours! (applies to all first gen Camaro owners)
    • being the first person in a free giveaway line that gets told "sorry we've run out"
    • your hotel room was given away so you get the choice of sleeping in the car or staying at the Bates Motel on Martin Luther King Blvd.
    • you longhaul and the long haul prize is something you can buy for 15 tickets at chucks cheese
    • people not following the route
    • the route doesn't get published in advance so the local towns have no idea you're coming
    • the stage show reminding you of one of those infomercials on repeat
    • the guy who complains he does this every year and his car never makes a feature in the magazine
    • locals getting the preferred parking
    • you're a Ford guy and all the trivia is Chevy related
    • you realize Chevrolet pays big bucks to sponsor the tour then you realize where most of that money came from...
    • 2 lane road, no passing, guy in front of you is running 8:1 at least...
    • the one part that breaks is the one that you didn't bring a spare of and it's something no part store carries

Yet, knowing this it's still worth doing because the fun is with the people you meet and the experience you share.

Just don't complain during tour, no body has time for that
    Powertour off/on since 2002
    sigpic

Originally posted by bishir View Post
    [*]you realize Chevrolet pays big bucks to sponsor the tour then you realize where most of that money came from...
    That was good.

Comment

Yet, knowing this it's still worth doing because the fun is with the people you meet and the experience you share.

Just don't complain during tour, no body has time for that
      This part is well said
      FKA Redragtop
      (formerly known as)

Comment

Nice, But you forgot gas is going up again. Add yes it still worth going year after year.

Comment

Here are things you shouldn't look forward to:
          Had me in stitches ... thanks for sharing your thoughts !

Comment

I guess when you have done the PT as much as most of us, you are bound to experience most, if not all of these things. I think your getting PT burnout ! It happens !

Next year I am gonna skip PT and try Drag Week. The change might do me good? James you and Rocky are invited to Convoy with me. Drag racin everyday of vacation . . . I might not burn out on that for 6 or 7 years !

As great as PT is, there are more events out there for DTB to experience. When I grow up, I want to be just like Boob and do them all too !

Not wanting to get caught in the traffic jam of life DTB

p.s. even if pictures are taken.
            DTB - RETIRED

Comment

I just laughed my ass off. Makes me want to go.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

James, that was freaking awesome!!! You had me rolling brother..........

Maybe that is why we get along so well?!??! Bahahaha!!!
                sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                - George Orwell

Comment

Every item is so true but this is, after all, what makes Power Tour worth the trip.
                  Cleve
                  Cape May, NJ
                  2006LH 2007LH 2012LH
                  There's no such thing as "Too much Power", only too little traction.

Comment

Good ones James. I needed a laugh besides laughing at my own dumb ass.
                    Jim & Maureen
                    There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
                    HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

Great post, I long hauled the 07 tour and got to experience ALL that you posted and I still want to go again.
                      Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

I never knew the Power Tour existed until I joined this forum. For some reason I don't really feel like I've missed anything....

Comment

Originally posted by Dave the Bartender View Post
                          I guess when you have done the PT as much as most of us, you are bound to experience most, if not all of these things. I think your getting PT burnout ! It happens !

Next year I am gonna skip PT and try Drag Week. The change might do me good? James you and Rocky are invited to Convoy with me. Drag racin everyday of vacation . . . I might not burn out on that for 6 or 7 years !

As great as PT is, there are more events out there for DTB to experience. When I grow up, I want to be just like Boob and do them all too !

Not wanting to get caught in the traffic jam of life DTB

p.s. even if pictures are taken.
                          we may opt for drag week this year instead also.....did part of it last year and it was pretty cool.
                          Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

[*]person in front of you in traffic jam riding the brakes in his new corvette auto with the a/c cranked without care your left knee is three more hard clutch disengagements away from reconstructive knee surgery.
                            [/LIST]
                            this rings so true. the year I took my lemans, manual clutch, manual brakes, manual steering, and this exact same thing happened to me pulling in to springfield I believe. thought I was never gonna be able to walk again with out a limp. god my left knee hurt after that. and yet I would do it all again in a heart beat.

Comment

we have done 5 straight long hauls for our summer vacation... the only regret is that we can't do it again this year... Tammy's work wouldn't allow her to take vacation at that time this year....maybe next year...
                              Last edited by silver_bullet; April 16, 2013, 07:35 PM.
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                              X