Dash / Windshield mount video camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash / Windshield mount video camera

I would like to video some of the windshield time on the Power Tour this year. Anyone got any tips or tricks on how to do this on the cheap? Would like to have decent video and audio.

GoPro?

A friend of mine has something similar to a GoPro, although i believe it was cheaper, I think it is called a Swan HD, Swann may have had 2 n's though?

Jalopnik just did a few articles on Russian style dash cams, I know the pricier one was garbage, I missed the articles on the mid priced and cheapest one they did though. I'm assuming one of them had to have been worthwhile.
    1968 Torino - DOHC 4.6L/T56 swap project
    2011 CTS-V Wagon - TR-6060 equipped

Comment

Video

I'll be using my Go Pro and my digital camera both + my Iphone.
      Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

I used a GoPro last year with success. If you get the right windshield mount with a smart phone, that could work for you too. Wind noise up by the windshield shouldn't be too bad unless your in a convertible or a big cross wind.

Depends on how much video you want to do too.

you could also get a tripod mount (screw) to mount a digital camera to. I have a piece of steel I mount to my passenger headrest with a ball mount to hook my gopro/digital camera to and it works really well.

Comment

Originally posted by QuickGearhead View Post
          I used a GoPro last year with success. If you get the right windshield mount with a smart phone, that could work for you too. Wind noise up by the windshield shouldn't be too bad unless your in a convertible or a big cross wind.

Depends on how much video you want to do too.

you could also get a tripod mount (screw) to mount a digital camera to. I have a piece of steel I mount to my passenger headrest with a ball mount to hook my gopro/digital camera to and it works really well.
          Dang - they build 'em smart up there - see ya soon ------ !! (Damn, it's almost like Xmas - we wait so long for this thing) tonight after work was the first time I could hand wash my truck - got the first layer of salt off.
          Last edited by 70chevyC-10; April 25, 2013, 04:49 PM.
          Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
            Dang - they build 'em smart up there - see ya soon ------ !! (Damn, it's almost like Xmas - we wait so long for this thing) tonight after work was the first time I could hand wash my truck - got the first layer of salt off.
            Thanks. I'm a bit of a nerd with things like this (I'm an engineer by day). It just might be warm enough here for me to hand wash my truck outside too. My car is still in pieces in the garage unfortunately though.

I'll try to remember to take some pics of the camera rig tonight. I was thinking I should put it on the car so Its ready to go. If I remember from having it on. O don't think it hindered rear visibility.
            Last edited by QuickGearhead; April 26, 2013, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Someone posted a video one time of going the opposite direction meeting the Power Tour. Very cool seeing all the cars they met.
              Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Go pro video's

Here are some of mine I have done with my Go Pro.

Put sealer on the cover and it's not leaking anymore...Yea!!!

Comment

I got a GoPro2 for Christmas and finally got around to experimenting with it this week. The windshield outside mount worked great but pretty much wind noise only above 40mph. I'd rather not have an in-car mount as I don't want my own commentary on the video.
                  GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Cool vids Andy. I have my Hero3 black I'm taking. It is cool, you can use the Iphone to control it and see what you are filming. With that and two Iphone 5's I think we are good. With phones these days, cameras are becoming obsolete. You just have to find a good mount for it, and they are out there.
                    Visit my sons blog:
                    www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

You can find suction cup mounts, or any mount on Ebay on the cheap. I have used old (throw away) still cameras on video mode outside on the lower fender for good wheel action. I have made a tywrap mount for my cell phone on the rear view mirror. I'm sure you can "engeneer" something for your needs. Gopro is the best way to go.
                      Living the dream!

Comment

Mounts

Originally posted by Damon23 View Post
                        Cool vids Andy. I have my Hero3 black I'm taking. It is cool, you can use the Iphone to control it and see what you are filming. With that and two Iphone 5's I think we are good. With phones these days, cameras are becoming obsolete. You just have to find a good mount for it, and they are out there.
                        I saw a guy made a dash mount out of foam. Just cut it out to place the camera in it and it want slide on the dash. I plan to go get some tomorrow. I'll post some pictures when I'm done.

Comment

I said I'd post this a week or so ago and didn't get a chance to put the camera mount back in the car. I did it this weekend and took some pics. Cost me $20 ish when I did it about 4 years ago. Steel was free along with the rubber gromets for around the headrest posts. I just had to pay for the ball mount. I added a youtube video of the mount too (autocross event to show how it performed).

If your seats are solid and have a headrest, this is a good DIY option.

Video: (shot with a regular point and shoot. My new camera shoots HD so video could be better depending on the camera. Mount is rock solid though!)

Comment

You weren't kidding when you said you geek engineer stuff up. That is totally awesome and "someone" is going to get rich marketing those when it should be you.
                            Phil / Omaha

Comment

I'm sure I could cut a few up if I had measurements for the seat post diameter and spacing. Also spacing between seats. There are photography ones out there but they can get pricey.

Comment

Working...
                              X