I need help, truck won't start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help, truck won't start!

Hey guys, some of you may know that I blew the motor in my truck last year. Well after a year of saving money I got a killer new motor built and put into the truck. The truck is a 2002 Lightning.

Here's my problem.

Everything is installed and I got to the part of downloading a tune to the PCM. I tried starting the truck and the theft light is blinking and my odometer is showing -----------.
    The motor cranks and cranks and cranks but won't fire.

Here's what I've done so far:
    Checked all fuses.
    Switched relays around to make sure I didn't have a bad one.
    Put a new battery in the truck
    Put the old chip back in to see if my new tune was the problem
    Tried all kinds of ways to reset the PATS and haven't found anything that works.

I really need help if I'm going to get this pig on Power Tour this year. Any and all help is appreciated. I put this in the General section too, just in case.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Bob, I'm going to fwd this to a few people that I know down here and see what answers I can possible come up with.
    sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
    - George Orwell

Comment

Bob

Given the fact that I can't spell half the things you have already checked I am not sure how much help I can be. Did you check the simple stuff - does it have spark (pull a plug OR use one of those new fangled gadgets that reads through the plug wire)? Does it have fuel? Not sure how to best determine this - are the plugs moist/damp/wet? Could you pull one injector and try to crank it to see if it spritzes fuel? Do you have a code reader? Has it thrown any codes? I would suspect that the speedo reading is a hint but not sure to what - computer/grounds/??. Sorry - I don't really have a clue on this modern stuff.
      Last edited by cstmwgn; April 24, 2013, 05:46 AM.

Comment

PM to John would probably be appropriate here boB........
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

boB,
          Here is a reply from your thread on the General Discussion board, you may not have seen yet.
          Good luck buddy !!!

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
          I'm not a Ford tech, but usually a flashing theft light in a Furd means you got a PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) problem. "Everyone" I know with a Ford w/PATS has had the same problem after changing/altering the ignition lock cylinder or messing with the PCM, you end up w/PATS problems. The dealership is the only place I know of who can fix it. One of those high end tuning shops that flashes PCM's might be able to fix it too...

Here's a guy with a similar problem..
          http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/1999-...ats-reset.html

Comment

Thanks everybody!

Allen
            I do have fuel. I know this because I have 40psi at the regulator that is after the fuel rails. I don't know about spark yet. George sent me a good troubleshooting page so when I get home I'll be playing with it some more.

Ed,
            I will do that ASAP.

Again, thanks everybody, you're the best.
            I R Bob
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

agree on PATS - might try a locksmith as well. The last time I had to play that game it was 300.00 from local locksmith who did it in the driveway. Have at least two keys burned and then you can make your own. I'm fairly sure it takes two keys to duplicate one for your truck, it does for mine (2000)
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                agree on PATS - might try a locksmith as well. The last time I had to play that game it was 300.00 from local locksmith who did it in the driveway. Have at least two keys burned and then you can make your own. I'm fairly sure it takes two keys to duplicate one for your truck, it does for mine (2000)
                I might have a problem then. I can't find the spare key.

Bernie, if you're reading this, I can't call you back because I have TERRRIBLE phone reception here at work.
                I R Bob

Comment

that's why it cost me 300.00 - lost both keys. I paid an extra 75.00 to get two keys so I could make a third.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    that's why it cost me 300.00 - lost both keys. I paid an extra 75.00 to get two keys so I could make a third.
                    At this point, $300 is a drop in the bucket that I will gladly pay to get this thing running.
                    I R Bob

Comment

Bob if you have a PATS code in the truck it will not start I had a GM car that had a anti-thieft radio in it and had taken it out to have a CD player fixed and it set the code and I had to take it to the dealer with the title and registration and get it reprogragmed before it would come on again. Two different things I know,but I think it may be your problem.
                      Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to get another key made and have it towed to the dealer. I have a buddy coming over with his scan tool from work so maybe we'll make some progress tonight.
                        I R Bob

Comment

Well, from all the troubleshooting we've been able to do, it looks like the computer is dead. I'll be towing it to the dealer next week.
                          I R Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
                            Well, from all the troubleshooting we've been able to do, it looks like the computer is dead. I'll be towing it to the dealer next week.
                            Dead or just pissed off?
                            Is it the PATS deal or something worse?

Comment

Hang in there Buddy!!Don't loose faith in her!! find that Damn penny and give old Abe a rubbin' he'll feel in the tomb!
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                              X