Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the tour with a logistics question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the tour with a logistics question.

I was wondering a few things about the power tour.

Does everybody check out of their hotel early in the morning, then head to the day's event, or does the event end early enough to give time to make it to the next stop during daylight? How do the power tour veterans do it?

Just trying to figure out how to plan the day. Also, do we need to be somewhere at a certain time to get info for the event, or next day event?

the next days event starts in the morning
    the joy of power tour is the drive from stop to stop o ya also the people
    info changes are at the morning meeting
    good luck & enjoy
    2007 Power Tour Long Haul
    2008 Power Tour Long Haul
    2009 Canadian Points East Tour
    2009 Power Tour Michigan Stop
    2011 Power Tour Muskegeon & Detroit Stops
    2012 Power Tour Long Haul
    2012 Northeast Rod Run
    2013 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

55lincoln gave you good advice but the fun for me is hooking up with a group in the morning and running with them till lunch and then hookup with another bunch and run to that days venue. It's all about the people and the drive, don't get in a hurry to get to the next stop, you'll miss a lot by doing that.
      Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
      The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

To expand a little on what Bruce said

The car show / event / venue is typically a mid afternoon activity. The most important thing that you need to do IF you are long hauling is to get to the stage and punch your credentials. After that it is your choice to visit the vendor area (good choice to pick up the giveaways each and every day), to wander the parking lot looking at cars (everyday there are new cars showing up), to hang out at the stage for the afternoon (evening) entertainment or to head out to the hotel. It is your choice as to where you stay. Most people spend the night in the event city and then get up in the morning and head out to the "next" venue. There is a driver's meeting each and every morning that some attend (not a bad thing to check out as a newbe). There will be a published route that you can follow if you like or you can make your own route. Again, the only "required" thing you need to do if you are long hauling is to get your credentials punched each day.
        Last edited by cstmwgn; May 7, 2013, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Yes - Bruce has it right. You don't want to drive to the next day's venue the night before - you'll be alone. Wait until the morning and the route will be full (irregardless of what time you depart or if you go to the drivers meetings or not) the "route" will be the fun part. I suggest you do a couple of the early drivers meetings to see if you like them or not. If not, you get going whenever you please, follow the designated route (not yet published) and it's game on.
          Phil / Omaha

Comment

for example, and I am not an expert.......Saturday, June 1st, at the University of Texas (the venue)....(folks staying in the area); and leaving the next morning (going to the drivers' meeting or not, at their option), for the next venue, which is in this case would be.....Four States Fair, Texarkana, AR......after leaving that venue, then checking into a hotel somewhere close...then....leaving the next morning for the next stop...Arkansas State Fair, Little Rock.......you get the idea....

Comment

To expand a little more.....I usually run with a group of 3 to 6 cars....we at times leave early after breakfast and drive leisurely to the next venue....my personal preference is staying near the venues and on the way if not running behind I will check into my hotel or call them coming into town to make sure I have a room.....a few years back in Topeka I got the last room at my hotel and that was before heading to the venue and in 2010 at Bowling Green our hotel over booked and they didnt have our reserved rooms for us but they were able to get us in at the Ramada Inn down the street.....the main thing would I like to say is everywhere you go there will be a "car show" no matter what you do or go...the hotel, the restaurants, the rest stops, and when you pull over to relieve yourself on the road side guess what.....another car show.......but I love the faces of the people watching and waving and that is best thing about driving the Power Tour....and when that little kid raises up his or her camera to take picture of your car cruising by... just know you have made an impression on someone you may never meet......a good one....it just makes my whole day.......
              That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

And if you stay on the route, and I highly recommend it, you will see hundreds of cars and can hook up with any group. Everyone will let you join them and run with them. This is how you will meet new people. The drivers meeting is a good place to start with a group of cars. The Bus and lead truck will leave after the drivers meeting and start the route, but don't follow them, they take the highways to make time getting to the next venue. Do understand the route and if you think someone is going the wrong way, figure it out, they just may be.. Join the rest of us and like a few have said, go to the first few drivers meetings and understand if you want to go to more. I like the drivers meetings and it's a good place to mingle with others and shoot the stuff. But traveling with a group is fun. You will take so many pictures you will have to down load them every night..And if you see any BangShifters, talk to us and you can always hang with us heading down the highway..ANd you'll love the gas/pea stops.. 50 cars in one gas station and one bathroom. Just a few things to get ready for..But don't be shy, ask us anything you want.. We'll help you out.
                Last edited by street72; May 7, 2013, 07:57 PM.
                I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

one of the main things you need to know is that you will have the time of your life. its all about the drive traveling down the road with a few hunderd hotroders. Going threw the small towns with the poeple lining the streets to watch is so cool . Enjoy the ride.
                  Grizzly Adams is my hero.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I can't wait! I am glad I asked because I almost booked my Arlington hotel for friday to checkout on saturday to head to the next event, now I know that I need to stay in Arlington saturday, and leave sunday. That would have turned out bad...

Comment

I forgot to tell you about the parking lot party's at the hotel. Make sure you read all the treads on this forum there is alot of good info about different things that are going on during the tour.
                      Grizzly Adams is my hero.

Comment

In the evenings you can walk your hotel parking lot and check out cars and B.S. with folks who may be wrenching, washing, or just chillin'. Or cruise all the hotel parking lots to see the range of cars and activities like tailgating, burnouts, bench racing, etc.
                        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                        X