Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HRPT 2009 What are you building or doing to your Car

Originally posted by The Chief
    Same here, according to my crew It's a fun car. You're definately going to need a radio to drown out that fuel pump and gear drive. After about 20 minutes, you start to get a freakin' headache.

So all thats left is a radio install and im ready to roll, good job as its only just over a week away for me
    but i thought the sounds the car makes, is it's own music. ;D
    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Well today was mostly successful, just didn't get as much done as I wanted due to having to redo a stupid cable about 5 times when the grommet would pull through the trunk floor. Ran the positive battery cable down the "cold" side of the frame since I have exhaust only on the passengers side into the trunk. Ran the starter cable back to the general area for the starter solenoid and got both of them mounted to the frame/body. Ran the control wires for the fuel pump, switched 12V, and the starter signal though they are loose at both end and not tucked in. Wired the alternator to the positive terminal lug on the fender, wired the new power lug to the old horn relay to power up the stock electrical system and protect it with a fusible link. Grounded the motor to the body, grounded the ground lug to the frame, grounded the motor to the frame, made the negative battery cable for the trunk mount battery, and pulled out the home depot wire currently serving as the power for my amp to be replaced with real stuff. Tomorrow I'll finish wiring in the gauges and linking the new harness to the old control switches (ie parking brake, ignition, fuel level gauge) then build mounts for the relays, Body Control Module, headlight control module, interior fuse box, keyless entry and the OBDII port. If I'm lucky I'll get to put the instrument cluster, gauges, and the glove box back in tomorrow night.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Helping a friend get his '68 Firebird convertible ready. He blew the motor about 3 weeks ago so we're scrambling to get him back in business. We picked up the new power plant from the machine shop yesterday and have just about got the interior conversion complete from a bucket rear seat to two buckets with a full front-to-rear console fabrication with DVD, CD, color backup camera and XM satellite radio. He got his new Tremec 5-speed on Thursday and we should get that in early this week. Needs a new drive shaft for that tranny too......so many things.....so little time!! We'll make it and the Power Tour will be the "coming out" party for this mean Firebird......see ya on the road.....Steve

Comment

this week my car had a bad week. check engine light came on and went off. meter said oxygen sensor. before i could replace them the check engine light came on again and the car started running real bad. made it home but now it will barely start and run. then the water pump started leaking. got one sensor changed but the second one is giving me major problems and not wanting to come out. i haven't even tried to do the water pump yet. hopefully the oxygen sensors are what is making it run so bad.

Comment

Got the starter solenoid mounted and one side wired, got the rear fuse box mounted and partially wired in, mounted the rear relay rack and got it mostly wired in, rewired my amp though the shielding ground on the monster cable needs a redo, got the pigtail ready for when I cut the hole in the trunk for the gas tank "shoulders" to power the pump, and I replaces the engine to frame ground as I thought better of the braided strap and went with a 2Ga cable. Tomorrow is a 0 work day as I'm going to get my wife's greencard in Memphis.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Barring any last muinute problems., I think I am finished and ready to roll. New 350 HO GM crate engine, TKO 500 and VIntage Air all added to the Camaro. I finished it all up in November and had to wait for good weather to break in the engine and test everything. The new engine runs great, the trans shifts like a dream and the air blows nice and cold. Only 11 more days to go!!
              Jim & Maureen
              There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
              HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

I pulled the motor out of the Chevelle on Sunday, and tried to set the new one in. I used a Moroso 7 quart pan on the new engine, and there is no way to get it past the crossmember with the trans in place. It would work with a automatic, but the input spline on the trans is in the way with a manual trans. I thought about reusing the factory pan from the original engine, but decided the larger pan was more important than all the additional work.

On Monday, I pulled the trans out, installed the engine, and reinstalled the trans. Got everything under the car buttoned up, including headers and exhaust. I can't install the accessories yet. The water pump we ran it on the dyno with is a short version, and I need a long pump for the car. I missed ordering a new one, :-[. It is on order and should be here tomorrow. I plan to finish the top of the engine tonight, and get it running on Wednesday.

We also installed the refinished wood in the bed of our 48 Chevy P/U yesterday. A friend of mine is taking it on the tour, and he was nice enough to refinish the wood in the bed for me. He did most of the reinstall while I worked on the Chevelle.

Comment

Revamping the cooling system on the Camino now. New water [pump, belts, and t-stat. Also checking radiator and will replace is questionable.
                  Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

83' was running a little hot this weekend. will add an electric fan to push air thru the radiator, as a little extra. still trying to decide if i should do the a/c.
                    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Just an oil change tomorrow.
                      "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

I got a new stereo in the Impy last Sunday. 200 watts. Woohoo. Sounds great, and has this plug labeled AUX. They say I can play MP3's on it (whatever that means).
                        Non-denominational car nut.
                        Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
                        Do you go all the way?

Comment

That is a port for an iPod or other digital music playing device.
                          CD's are ancient technology man ....

Comment

Originally posted by Impala_Guy
                            I got a new stereo in the Impy last Sunday. 200 watts. Woohoo. Sounds great, and has this plug labeled AUX. They say I can play MP3's on it (whatever that means).
                            And I thought I was technologically illiterate. ;D Don't feel bad I have one of those in the radio in my Solstice, and my kids had to tell me what it was for. :D
                            It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Too much to get done and I have an Inspector General inspection next week so I'm backing out of Madison-Warren. I'll see ya'll in Dayton.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                                That is a port for an iPod or other digital music playing device.
                                CD's are ancient technology man ....
                                I must be a Neanderthal then - I still call CD's tapes for some reason. Neither the wife or I have a cellphone nor do we have a computer at home and we like it that way.
                                Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                                X