X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRPT 2009 What are you building or doing to your Car

HRPT 2009
    Until the announcement about GM Proving Grounds

Jesse and I are building and were planning on driving a 2DR Jeep Cherokee with a Full 12 PT cage equiped as a road racer/stock car, 4 bucket seats, tin interior, 12 wide up front 18" in back, 406 small block, 6speed, no creature comforts, have not decided wether we need side and back glass.

But we decided we have to take the Chevy one more time because of the visit to the GM proving grounds, doing mini tubs, better front stocks, much larger radiator, hydro boost for brakes, probably building a little larger engine, if we can find a HOOD a New ram air set up.

Bob

PS. and a much better HORN

Re: HRPT 2009 What are you building or doing to your Car

STOP the leak in the trunk! Hope to have LED tail lights, halogen headlights by '09. Oh yeah and get that dang horn fixed once and for all!

Comment

Bob, I like your idea of going to the GM proving grounds. Unfortunetly that is in Milford, MI and we are going to Tech Center in Warren, MI. They probably have too much top secret stuff there to trust us not to tell!! Hopefully will have our water intrusion problem fixed, but it is a 37 year old convertible.
      Donna
      Williamston, MI
      Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

The Riviera List which by the way its currently in the middle of and has been for the last month about.
        Gas tank swapped for an 96 Impala SS EFI tank, front fuel system converted to EFI pressures, complete 4.1L Buick V6 swap with LC2 T-Type EFI on top, new hybrid 86 T-type '65 Riviera HVAC system, new cooling system, '67 BT code ST400 switchpitch trans, trans and oil fluid coolers, stock '86 T-type turbo, intercooler of some kind, '65 Riviera rocker mouldings, trunk mounted battery system, and maybe M3 fender vents and a front disc brake setup.

I know its a lot but that's why I started mid May. Car will be running NA by 1 Aug and I'll have the rest of the time to figure out the EFI tune and then add the turbo and the brakes.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Well Bob, it is way to early for me to have a clue what I am doing next June.

The truck is going to get a new seat this summer. The OEM seat (42 years old) has seen better days. There is a shimmy / vibration in the front end between 70 - 80 mph that needs to be fixed. Of course another 60 CIs would not hurt my feelings either :

The wagon - assuming it is out of paint in time :o - could stand an engine freshening and perhaps a little taller gear (maybe a 3.5). It would really make me happy to own at least one car that got double digit gas mileage (even if it is only 10.1 mpg).

I am still looking for a convertible. I really like the 66 Fairlanes but it takes MAJOR surgery to fit a proper sized engine in one. I started looking for a decent 69 XL a few months back but couldn't find anything that appeared road worthy for this years trip. If I can find a decent one at a reasonable price, then perhaps Kate can drive some on next year's tour. Note to self - BIG BINDERS will be a mandatory upgrade before we proceed with that plan.

There are a lot of factors in play this year that will most likely have a dramatic impact on my choices for next year.

Comment

1) Get 57 wagon home from Clovis, NM!!!!!!!!!! ;D
            2) Decide what to do to said wagon
            3) Rob bank :o for said modifications to wagon

That's only the beginning... :P

Cheaps 8)

Comment

I'm hoping, hoping, hoping to have the wagon ready for next year. ;D It won't have air or power anything so I'll be able to suffer like a real hot rodder. But if need be, I can bring the Lightning again and that wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit either.
              I R Bob
              You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
              2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I'm going to turn my DD F-150 into a "Rat Roddish" scheme for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by 1956NY150

But we decided we have to take the Chevy one more time because of the visit to the GM proving grounds, doing mini tubs, better front stocks, much larger radiator, hydro boost for brakes, probably building a little larger engine, if we can find a HOOD a New ram air set up.

Bob
                  I'm thinking of upgrading the 'bird's brakes with the biggest rotors I can fit in the 17"s in the event that I find myself behind those l'il taillights of yours again Bob. I won't be much of friend if I involuntarily get in the tri-five sheet metal bending business.

And if 'stupid' money finds itself my way, a Golen 383 (a la Orange95Z/Matt) would make the 'bird dance nice.
                  a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning
                    I'm hoping, hoping, hoping to have the wagon ready for next year. It won't have air or power anything so I'll be able to suffer like a real hot rodder. But if need be, I can bring the Lightning again and that wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit either.
                    Hey, you don't need to blow another plug !! Leave the Lightining behind.

Besides, not having A/C is not that big a deal (when you have vents like our old cars).
                    Your wagon will be awesome. Focus on the working bits and leave the comfy stuff for last.
                    Forget about the pretty stuff.
                    ;)

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                      I'm hoping, hoping, hoping to have the wagon ready for next year. It won't have air or power anything so I'll be able to suffer like a real hot rodder. But if need be, I can bring the Lightning again and that wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit either.
                      Hey, you don't need to blow another plug !! Leave the Lightining behind.

Besides, not having A/C is not that big a deal (when you have vents like our old cars).
                      Your wagon will be awesome. Focus on the working bits and leave the comfy stuff for last.
                      Forget about the pretty stuff.
                      ;)
                      I'm going to try, but this car needs everything. It hasn't been on the road since 82. She already gave me the ok to funnel house funds to the car so that's good. ;D
                      I R Bob
                      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I'm going to try, but this car needs everything. It hasn't been on the road since 82. She already gave me the ok to funnel house funds to the car so that's good.
                        See ... you are already over your biggest hurddle.

;)

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                          I'm going to try, but this car needs everything. It hasn't been on the road since 82. She already gave me the ok to funnel house funds to the car so that's good.
                          See ... you are already over your biggest hurddle.

;)
                          Could be but then I've got that little devil Alan whispering in my ear, "build a stroker motor" ;D
                          I R Bob

Comment

We plan on driving a 1966 Buick Skylark GS convertible for PT 2009. I don't plan on changing my name though.
                            Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Oh, I got home and had a new 'insulated' carb gasket to fix Earl's hard-hot-starting nuisance, got the book out on the carb and noticed I had the vacuum advance hose on the wrong side of the carb......fixed that and ole Earl has a new attitude. Wish I had found that before the PT. Even put some of that beautiful black goo on the fenders during the 'test drive'. ;D
                              Other than that, it's time to tear into my son's 77 Camaro engine fire project. :-\
                              Earl will return in 09!. 8)
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X