Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I-85

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
    There is construction both north and south of the speedway on 85. It has 85 messed up, and some of the ramps to the north and south. It will be great when finished, just going to suck this year. Highway 29 coming in from the north & south is the best back way in, although it has a few lights. I plan on Odell School Rd then making adjustments to my route as I get closer depending on traffic.
    Yea one of the guy's that works with me has been going to Winston Salem on the weekends to see his sister with Cancer. He said it's messed up big time. He spent over 45 minutes this past weekend in traffic for the construction up by the track.
    Maybe we could get all the race teams to helicopter us over to the track.
    I plan to stay at my brother's Friday night so I want be but a few miles from the track back towards UNCC.That will help some.
    Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

77 south will be the problem leaving Roush. The best way into the track on a Friday is by helicopter. The next best is probably the way i posted earlier. 73 is a cluster right off 77, if you get that far. Highway 3 is the best way to go, which will take you over to odell school, then to Poplar Tent. TL and cross 85 (heavy construction here also) make the first right by R&R BBQ. Follow this to 29 and TR. Z Max is on the right a couple of miles.
      Thanks for the heads up . Unfortuneatly, I will probably remember about the time traffic comes to a dead stop...and think back to your post and kick myself
      FKA Redragtop
      (formerly known as)

Comment

Chattanooga to Concord

Sounds like a lot of worrying to me. Driving from Chattanooga to Concord doesn't involve I85 at all. Take I40 to I77 south to the Roush exit or get off I40 at Hickory and drive nice secondary roads to I 77 at Huntersville, NC. I've driven my rod all over the southeast and endured the normal show traffic and it's just part of the FUN. No worse than being at Myrtle Beach 4th of July. "Be happy don't worry"
        Leaving tomorrow in my 1947 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe. "Built Ford tough with Chevy stuff". Arlington, TX. Or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by z06dennis View Post
          ... Driving from Chattanooga to Concord doesn't involve I85 at all...
          Perhaps you need to inform HotRod of this fact as I believe THEIR directions clearly tell us to use I85.

Comment

Myrtle Beach

Originally posted by z06dennis View Post
            Sounds like a lot of worrying to me. Driving from Chattanooga to Concord doesn't involve I85 at all. Take I40 to I77 south to the Roush exit or get off I40 at Hickory and drive nice secondary roads to I 77 at Huntersville, NC. I've driven my rod all over the southeast and endured the normal show traffic and it's just part of the FUN. No worse than being at Myrtle Beach 4th of July. "Be happy don't worry"
            Leaving tomorrow in my 1947 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe. "Built Ford tough with Chevy stuff". Arlington, TX. Or bust!
            I have a place in Garden City and spend 2 weeks every year on the 4th there. I drive the golf cart every where man and stay out of all the traffic!Yea I don't know why they have you on I-85 to get to the track unless u go all the way down I-77 then go back north on I-85.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
              Perhaps you need to inform HotRod of this fact as I believe THEIR directions clearly tell us to use I85.
              For those that follow Hot Rods directions, when on 77 south an HOV lane will open up around exit 18. You can use this lane until exit 13, then get to the right. If you run the HOV all the way, you will miss the 85 North ramp.

Charlotte radio stations are advertising PT and the speedway event. I just left Roush Yates and they are starting some set up. It should be a fun day, I just wish we would have had a venue about 150-200 miles out.

Comment

If the traffic gets anything like Myrtle on July 4th, I am turning around and heading home.

Comment

Road to Concord

I have no idea why Hot Rod is sending everyone down
                  I77 to I85. If you are planning to stop for lunch at Roush Yates it's an easy drive to ZMax taking the back roads. Follow HotRodHarleys directions. You will even get to drive by the Garage Mahal built by Dale Earnhardt Sr. formally know as DEI. I plan to follow most of the proposed HRPT route but I will avoid areas I think will be a real pain in the butt. I'm driving the interstate between Birmingham and Chattanooga just to get there fast so I can visit with my sister and her family. I used to live in Cleveland, Tn and fished just about every fresh water lake worth doing in the southeast. Missing a few back roads in AL. and driving around Lookout Mtn. is already on my "been there, done that list".

Comment

Pretty confusing to us tourists - oh well.
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
                      Pretty confusing to us tourists - oh well.
                      Follow me...

Comment

If you're going I-85 to Zmax the construction wasn't that bad a couple of weeks ago when I went there. At least it isn't much worse than I-85 is in several other areas. I live about an hour down the road from there and go to Zmax and the Speedway very often. Zmax is my favorite drag strip.
                        Last edited by Thomasmoto; May 28, 2013, 02:23 PM.
                        2011 Long Hauler
                        2011 Corvette Grand Sport-650 HP Edelbrock Eforce SC 6 speed paddleshift auto

1979 Pontiac Trans Am-800 hp 5 speed Richmond Super Street OD with Long shifter

Comment

Follow me...
                          I should do that -
                          Phil / Omaha

Comment

Follow the leader

If we all stop at Roush in Mooresville we can all follow Harley!
                            Then only one of us will be to blame....

Comment

Working...
                            X