Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plan B Power Tour Cars - Who Has Had to Use One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New as in I just overhauled it a couple weeks ago. I wish I could afford a new Coyote, that is the dream engine for this truck, with all the cool new Boss 302 stuff on it. This is a late 5.0 pushrod motor, still collecting stuff for the EFI, just didn't have time to get it all installed and running right before PT, so just bolted on my old Torker intake with Demon carb for now. I have everything for the EFI except for the Mass Air meter and sensor. I can get it any time, just didn't have time to get it all in a running right in the amount of time I had. I have the GT 40 (Explorer stuff) intake, mustang fuel rail, full wiring harness and computer, all other sensors. I plan on running the new Demon for a while, unless the gas mileage still sucks. Next move is for a Crown Vic aluminum crossmember and 17 inch Bullitts, staggered 8s and 10.5s...

Originally posted by 4 cam torino View Post
    New 5.0 as in coyote motor? Or new 5.0 as in fuel injected windsor that is new for a '61 truck?
    Building Fords the old way, one good part at a time.

Comment

It's official. Plan B for this year will be my 2011 Silverado. It will get zero looks unless you count the "what the hell is THAT doing here?" stares, but I can't complain about the comfort, a/c or 400hp 6.2. Started packing it tonight, work tomorrow and leave out early Friday am.
      GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

In '09 I did the first 3 stops of the power tour and I got the car to what I consider "ready" the morning of the first stop. Fortunately, the first stop that year was Madison

I was nervous as heck that something would fall off at any moment. It didn't and I made it home with no problems.
        Good luck to all!
        That 2009 power tour decal in my back window is my post resto test result
        Last edited by mike343sharpstick; May 29, 2013, 06:08 PM.

Comment

We are in Kansas City with Plan A for the night!
          Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
          79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
            We are in Kansas City with Plan A for the night!
            Congratulations! Have fun.
            Mike

Comment

Well that was then this is now. Last minute electrical gremlins. We're in the black 4-door Rubicon again! But still having fun, stopped at Duck Commander in west monroe la.
              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

If something goes wrong with my truck we will go to Texarkana and LR in my wife's G8, or maybe my Formula.

My wife's G8 is awesome. It runs great,has a great stereo,ice cold air,and it looks great. They are such awesome cars,and I'm glad we got her one.

It just doesn't have the "thumpety bumpety" my truck has. You could get killed pretty easily in my truck with all the metal and the gas tank right in the cab with you. That makes things more exciting!
                sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

We Made it to Texas with no issues other than occupant discomfort. I may have to install AC if we are going to keep doing these types of things. I'll be updating my Project thread with tour progress if anyone is interested. Thanks for all the support!
                  Attached Files
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

May be going to a Plan B, or missing the Memphis stop. Time will tell..............
                    sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                    - George Orwell

Comment

I should've tried to go in my truck to Texarkana yesterday. Not gonna make LR. Cranked the truck up today,and it sounded awesome. My Dad got a little behind us when left,and when I looked back to see if he had caught up I saw smoke rolling out the back. Smelled it too. Pulled over and saw a pretty big leak on the side of the block and on the firewal. My engine builder lived not too far away,and we both decided ithe leak was from the intake. Smoke coming out the tailpipe too which we both hoped is just antifreeze residude from my other heads cracking and putting the coolant out the exhaust. We'll see. First time I've ever had an intake leak on me.

Huge letdown. Sucks they're coming through so close. I couldn't even stand to watch them go by and not be part of it. We pulled a near-miracle to make the tour in LR in 2008 so I guess another one wasn't in the cards. By the time I would've gotten it all back together and got up there and registered it would've been almost time to come back home. Finding it yesterday would've given us enough time to fix it and make it to LR if the leak is the only problem.
                      sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

I'm on plan B.... Jade made it to Memphis, then she either blew a head gasket or cracked a head. Not a good day yesterday!!
                        sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                        - George Orwell

Comment

and still having funClick image for larger version

Name:	PICT0030.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	870406
                          Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

My plan A made it to Z-Max!
                            Attached Files
                            74 Nova Project
                            66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Made it home with Plan A. Here are the details:

Car Prep for Power Tour - Costs:
                              Rear Springs
                              Radio
                              Headliner
                              Water Pump
                              Trans fitler and gasket
                              Trans fluid
                              Water neck, T-stat, Temp Sender & Seals
                              Air Shocks
                              Distributor/coil/lower hose
                              Fuel pump
                              Transmission Rebuild
                              Radiator
                              Trans Fluid #2
                              Temp Sender #2
                              Alignment & Exhaust Tips
                              TOTAL: $2,700

Hotels – 10 Nights - $1,709

Gas – 239 Gallons – Avg $3.58/gal – 16.5 MPG over 3,957 miles - $854

Misc expenses - $1,050 - $105/day

Total Power Tour Expenses $3,600 (not including car prep)

Repairs on Tour:
                              I pulled up next to Donna & Mike at a stoplight on the way to Texarkana and they asked how it was going. I said it was going great and they invited me to run with them if I wanted. I thought that was great and got into the throttle at the light trying to catch up and within 2 miles the torque converter lockup was acting weird. Unfortunately, I lost the freaks and had a bit of panic when the lockup started engaging and disengaging at a rapid rate a few miles later. Thinking back to my conversations with the trans rebuilder about the need for a lockup in a light car like mine I pulled the fuse for the lockup. I later confirmed that this was likely OK with my rebuilder. Trans worked flawlessly for the rest of the trip.

On the way to Charlotte from Chattanooga the speedometer cable started chirping. It was not too bad for the 350 mile leg and I thought it would be ok for the ride home. About 20 miles from Charlotte on the way home it became very clear that something needed be done or lives would be lost. I applied the Siri gadget on my iPhone and located an O’Rieliey Auto 1.4 miles off my current route. 20 minutes and $2 later we were back on the road with a much better outlook on the next 1,200 miles. I have an NOS cable in my garage that will be installed soon.

The only other thing I did to the car on the tour (besides adding 854 gallons of gas) was add 1 qt of oil at about 1,000 miles after initial installation. 3,000 miles later I needed ˝ a quart to top it off. I run Castrol Syntec 5W50. I am due for an oil change.

To Do List based on the last 4,000 miles:
                              Oil Change
                              Fix Transmission Lockup and make adjustments
                              Fix Visors
                              Fix Rear View Mirrior
                              Fix Shifter Knob
                              Blinker Lever
                              Plug Wires
                              Shorty Headers
                              Swap Springs - Drivers side lower
                              Sticky stuff on floor - Carpet??
                              Wiper Refills
                              Long Haul Sticker
                              Battery hold down
                              Replace speedo cable
                              New windshield
                              Front Speakers
                              Headliner
                              350 Emblems

We are so glad we were able to go with plan A on the tour this year. The car ran great and my wife and I had a good time on tour and meeting all the Forum Freaks. She even kept up with her “Insanity” workout schedule while we were on tour. We hope to see you all on the road someday.
                              74 Nova Project
                              66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Glad you made it OK. Hotels seem pricey. Where'd you stay, the Four Seasons?
                                Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Working...
                                X