Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plan B Power Tour Cars - Who Has Had to Use One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plan B Power Tour Cars - Who Has Had to Use One?

I'm less and less convinced that we will be taking my 74 Nova on the tour this year. You can check out my project thread for the sordid details.

Plan B is my wife's 2010 Ford Edge. It's a nice ride and all but not what I think of when I envision a Power Tour ride.

So who has had to resort to the not so cool backup car?
    Attached Files
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
    I'm less and less convinced that we will be taking my 74 Nova on the tour this year. You can check out my project thread for the sordid details.

Plan B is my wife's 2010 Ford Edge. It's a nice ride and all but not what I think of when I envision a Power Tour ride.

So who has had to resort to the not so cool backup car?
    I thought I was going to have to resort to a plan b ride in someone else's car. So far all looks good for Blu to be on the tour.
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Great news. Hope to see you out there one way or another.
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

There's no shame in a plan b car. It happens.
        I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

2010 - had my wife and daughter with me . hit the Orlando area and rear blew. cobra (br ce) and friends helped me fix the rear backed o t from the shop and the trans blew. rented a dodge charger packed the wife and kid in and ran the whole thing and an extra week road tripping still have my pic of the charger on iowa speedway hanging on the wall

Comment

I think you can get Plan A working!
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
              74 Nova Project
              66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

In 2010 we had too take a plan B and a plan C to finish the tour I had blew the motor in the Pinto two weeks before the tour and did'nt get it back together in time so we started out with my 2004 Hd2500 Chevy truck for half the run and then changed over to my wifes 2006 Mustang to finish the run would have much rather had the Pinto. Who needs air and all the comforts of newer cars.
                Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

I had to go to plan B in 06,after I got hit head on at Rockford road and 601 just outside of Mount Pilot.My house was only 90 miles away so my son brought my Z71 with the wrecker and we finished in it.Would do the same thing again if it happened that way.
                  Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

I started out last year in my 88 Monte SS. Made it from St. Louis to Detroit then back to Gateway with no problems. Home isn't far from the venue so we headed that way and I noticed a noise from the engine. Changed leaking collector gaskets, nope still got a metal to metal noise on startup. Decided not to chance it and took my Father's '10 Camaro SS as he wasn't going any further (the car was even registered and stickered). Finished the tour in hot Texas with the a/c blasting and effortless LS power getting 20mpg.

Came home with a cleared mind and found the noise, bolt fell out of a PS bracket and it was banging the header.
                    GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Found out about 1.5 weeks ago the camshaft in the Lightning is torn up and oil pressure got really low. Tore it down and the oil looks like graphite. No money to fix it in time. Going to take the 2012 6.2L F150. It will be super comfy but won't feel the same.......

Last edited by 1993BlackLightning; May 26, 2013, 06:46 PM.
                      1993 Black F150 Lightning (Street Cruiser)
                      1993 Yellow F150 Lightning (Bracket Race Toy)
                      2012 6.2L F150 (Tow Pig/DD)
                      (AKA YellowLightning)

Comment

i drove and long hauled in my everyday until got something to drive on the tour......in 08 i drove wife's explorer to memphis and little rock......you drive what you have to drive if you wanna be there.....besides we might need a nice tow vehicle (1993BlackLightning)
                        Last edited by 383S-10; May 26, 2013, 07:03 PM.
                        That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

I had to go to Plan-B in 2008. I was 200 miles from home on the way to Little Rock in the '65 Impala ragtop. The 700r4 trans had a fresh rebuild and I had just picked it up 2 weeks before. Just as we got in the mountains of NC I saw smoke pouring out the back and had slowed down to limp to the next exit. About that time the the governor blew off the trans. I heard and felt it when it hit the floorboard under my feet. I called Hagerty road service to get me to the next little town (Marion NC). While waiting I called the guy who built my trans. He told me not to let anybody else touch it and he would make it right. I told him where I was and he didn't care, he was sending one of his guys with a flatbed trailer to come and fetch it.
                          I called back about 2 minutes later and asked if his man had left yet. He said no so I told him to go by my house and pick up my '04 GTO, I'd arrange for somebody to meet him there with a key. Hagerty's got me to the next exit and about 4 1/2 hours later the Goat arrived at the Loves truckstop on the trailer. Unload/reload. I put as much luggage as I could from the Impala into the tiny GTO trunk and kept on travelling.
                          When I got home 2 weeks later the Impala was fixed and the business owner wouldn't take a dime for either the repair or the road side pick-up/delivery. That gentleman stands behind his work and I continue to do business with him.
                          There is no shame in plan-B. Then again, I don't own a car that I feel wouldn't fit in on P/T.
                          Last edited by Impala_Guy; May 26, 2013, 08:06 PM.
                          Non-denominational car nut.
                          Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
                          Do you go all the way?

Comment

My Chevelle is planB. I swore I'd never do it again w/o overdrive..
                            Powertour off/on since 2002
                            sigpic

Comment

In the spring of 2009 I was trying to get a fresh engine in the Malibu while still working full time & trying to get things organized for our yard party/wedding reception. Didn't get it done so we took my 2004 Silverado SS. The very next year, 2010, with the car done & ready to go, I decided to put new body mounts under it. After ordering new ones & cutting up half of the floorboards to get some of the old mounts out, I had less than a week to have the car done. But, it was a Saturday night when I discovered that they had sent me the wrong body mount set. When I called them on Monday morning, they insisted that I send the wrong set back first. Just couldn't get their arms around just selling me the correct set & then crediting my account when they got the other ones back.
                              Ticked me off so bad that we just took our 2008 HHR panel. So two years in a row with plan B cars with A/C, cruise, nice stereo, etc. And the last two in the Malibu. And we still have more fun in the 45 year old hot rod with none of that. (Did I mention that I am also now very paranoid about major last minute changes to the car?)
                              ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Working...
                              X