Trail of destruction tour.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bucky67 View Post
    Well, Mike, my engine builder, and I tore my 468 down last night. Bad news- We found an intake gasket completely blown. Good news- The head gaskets looked brand new, as if the motor was built last week. The rest of the engine looked good as well. I was blown away with how clean everything looked, to include my pistons and the cylinder walls. The only build up; the valves had deposits on them already. You can definitely tell when you run bad gas..... And I run nothing but 93 Octane!!
    Good news Bucky!
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Good deal Buckaroo
      Powertour off/on since 2002
      sigpic

Comment

That is better news than it could have been Bucky .
        It should be back together and running very shortly
        FKA Redragtop
        (formerly known as)

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
          Good news Bucky!
          Thanks Ed. As you can tell, I was stressed just a tad.... But, I'm going to go ahead and refresh the entire engine.

Originally posted by bishir View Post
          Good deal Buckaroo
          Thanks James!! I was very lucky and fortunate.... Did you find anything out about your Chevelle?!

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
          That is better news than it could have been Bucky .
          It should be back together and running very shortly
          Don't get ahead of yourself.... I'm taking my time putting it back together. In fact, I'm having Justin, the original painter, repaint all of Jade to correct all the issues that were left from someone else. The tail panel section is also going to be painted Satin Black to represent a Big Block/Berger car....
          sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
          - George Orwell

Comment

48 years of abuse

Leaving the Coyote Drive-In movie (American Graffiti) in Fort Worth, I noticed a rotational noise, I was hoping it was the bias ply tires onTexas' fine roads. On the way to Texarkana and on a good road it got worse. Pulling over to investigate, Dwayne (B.S. "383S10"), his nephew Julius and another B.S.er Grant ("Grant.Gwoood74") stop to help. Noticing that I was struggling with a tiny bottle jack, Dwayne opens his trunk, pulls out a 3 ton floor jack and before I know it he's got my Goat up in the air checkin' things out. You guys ROCK! Limpped into the venue at Texarkana with a bad rear axle bearing in time to get our time stamp but too late to have the GM motor medics look at it. Thanks to Anderson Automotive in Texarkana for getting us in, ordering the parts and having the car repaired the following day with out ripping off us out-a-towners. $165 Parts and Labor.
            We rented a car, drove to Little Rock, (and at that time) not knowing when the repairs would be completed
            Allen (B.S.er "Cstmwgn") Helped us out in a big way and I should not say how he helped. Uhhhh......let's just say our time cards have all their time stamps. Thanx Allen!
            We took the rental car back to Texarkana, the goat was repaired by 9am and we were on our way to Memphis and back on schedule. Thanx to each of you Bang Shifters that helped us out and made the best of a potentially bad situation. Kathy and John
            Attached Files
            Last edited by papasmurf587; June 23, 2013, 08:26 PM.
            John 'n Kathy ('65 GTO)
            Western North Carolina

"I'd rather do it than watch it"

Comment

John Im glad everything worked out for you on that wheel bearing......I was amazed how in tune you with your GTO picking up that noise with all the other cars running around you.......me and Julius will run with you and Kathy anytime but we will have to think twice before we follow you down another Texas wagon wheel trail....
              Last edited by 383S-10; June 24, 2013, 01:06 AM.
              That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Sounds like a potentially bad situation came out OK. BS'rs rock.

Originally posted by 383S-10 View Post
                .......me and Julius will run with you and Kathy anytime but we will have to think twice before we follow you down another Texas wagon wheel trail....
                Sounds like a story for another day...or is it related to this one?
                FKA Redragtop
                (formerly known as)

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                  Sounds like a potentially bad situation came out OK. BS'rs rock.

Sounds like a story for another day...or is it related to this one?
                  The "Texas wagon wheel trail" was an adventure to bypass a traffic jam, the road (trail) kept getting smaller, smaller and smaller. Dwayne said he was OK with it but those 3 corvettes following us we're probably cussing me out.

Dwayne also has a story that will fit on this thread, if we can talk him in to telling it. I'd like to hear how it turned out.
                  John 'n Kathy ('65 GTO)
                  Western North Carolina

Comment

My turn......right now my car is up and running but not as good as before......turned out I had a broken arm on the #4 cylinder exhaust which explains the back firing through the carb. Since then I have replaced said rocker arm and took a wooden dowel and sat it where the push rod sat to get a visual of the cam lobe arc to see if I had damage to my cam. Just from cranking it over(disconnected coil) visually it looked okay and felt okay(holding the dowel to feel for something not smooth)......but after driving it my car low end is good in the middle is good when I hit overdrive and cruise 45-50 mph I get a stumbling/surging action........checked it over again and noticed vacuum caps were blown off and replaced those.....adjusted rockers and replaced a vacuum line......still I get the stumbling/surging action......my next move is to check fuel filter, replace carb gasket and replace brake vacuum line to rule out all vacuum issues.....I have observed no gas leaks on the carb....thinking Im just gonna pull the heads and check out the gaskets.....this may not be the place to ask but has anyone here had a list of possibles from carb back firing at 75 mph from a failed exhaust side rocker arm. I got off the Power Tour to return to work having to catch 9 days straight of 12 hr shifts due to others vacations at my job.....tomorrow I start another 9 days straight.........

Comment

Dwayne, I have complete confidence that you'll get your problem fixed before PT-2014.....ya got 341 days to do it.
                      Get Curtis to help ya. ;)
                      John 'n Kathy ('65 GTO)
                      Western North Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by papasmurf587 View Post
                        Dwayne, I have complete confidence that you'll get your problem fixed before PT-2014.....ya got 341 days to do it.
                        Get Curtis to help ya. ;)
                        We are planning to get together on it this weekend

Comment

Working...
                        X