Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Best Guess for 2014 HRPT stops............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also heard Knoxville as a stop. PLEASE, no Chicago stop. I have been through there twice. Not remotely any place I want to go with my car.
    1964 Chevelle
    Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
    LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

Going to Knoxville makes it a long ride to Wisconsin, That makes it roughly 1200-1300 miles. But Concord to Charleston is a pretty good drive in one day too!

I'd love a St. Louis stop, I went there a few years ago on my honeymoon and loved it. I had actually planned on swinging through St. Louis on the way home!
      2013- Murphy, NC Road Side Fan Between Chattanooga & Charlotte 2014- Charlotte-Knoxville-Charleston: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

They like to have two drag strips.......add that into your thoughts........
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra_4 View Post
          Going to Knoxville makes it a long ride to Wisconsin, That makes it roughly 1200-1300 miles. But Concord to Charleston is a pretty good drive in one day too!

I'd love a St. Louis stop, I went there a few years ago on my honeymoon and loved it. I had actually planned on swinging through St. Louis on the way home!
          1200-1300 miles is not a long ride for Power Tour. It's about the drive and not racing to each venue to be the first in line waiting for the gates to open. There's too many missing the point by skipping the route and taking highways straight to the venue just to get there early. It would be awesome to see them make it 9 or 10 days again and go out west or even northwest!

Comment

Concord, NC
            Bristol, TN
            Charleston, WV
            Columbus, OH
            Indianapolis, IN
            Chicago, IL
            Wisconsin Dells, WI

I've never been farther north than Cincinnati, so I have no idea what it may be like in Chicago, Columbus, or Indy. I'll just listen to you guys.
            "Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Slick68 View Post
              Concord, NC
              I've never been farther north than Cincinnati, so I have no idea what it may be like in Chicago, Columbus, or Indy. I'll just listen to you guys.
              Driving through Chicago, SUCKS!! Tour has been through there many times.

Charlotte, NC
              Knoxville, TN
              Charleston, WV
              Norwalk, OH
              Detroit, MI
              Joliet, IL
              Dells, WI

Comment

Originally posted by 65longroof View Post
                Driving through Chicago, SUCKS!! Tour has been through there many times.

Charlotte, NC
                Knoxville, TN
                Charleston, WV
                Norwalk, OH
                Detroit, MI
                Joliet, IL
                Dells, WI
                agreed, and I have lived all of my life in Chicago........anyway, I would throw in, as a possibility, Columbus, OH, Indianapolis, IN (although they weren't very friendly), Joliet, IL (the Route 66 raceway, a great facility).....maybe a different stop in Indiana (Muncie?)........and what about Somerset, KY (we've been there before, a great cruise town)..........I guess we'll see
                Last edited by rexdogg; June 10, 2013, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Somerset would be good again. I agree that the Chicago traffic is just too much.
                  Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Originally posted by moparjim71 View Post
                    Somerset would be good again. I agree that the Chicago traffic is just too much.
                    agreed.....go around Chicago, via I-294 (open road tollway, I-Pass, etc.), is the way to go, to avoid I-94 though the city.....now.....from Route 66 raceway, Joliet, IL....up on I-55, then to I-80, then north on I-294 to Wisconsin (I know, a lot of interstates)...maybe north on I-39 (?).....we'll have to see what the actual stops are........

Comment

Originally posted by 65longroof View Post
                      1200-1300 miles is not a long ride for Power Tour. It's about the drive and not racing to each venue to be the first in line waiting for the gates to open. There's too many missing the point by skipping the route and taking highways straight to the venue just to get there early. It would be awesome to see them make it 9 or 10 days again and go out west or even northwest!
                      Oh okay, I was under the impression they tried to keep it at 1000. I don't care personally I'm game for whatever! I plan on heading out early so I can take my time, stop and see the sites, etc on my way to each venue. I'm with you, I'm going for the driving experience, I could careless where we stop in between!
                      2013- Murphy, NC Road Side Fan Between Chattanooga & Charlotte 2014- Charlotte-Knoxville-Charleston: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

Bristol would make a lot of sense, you could turn toward North Wilksboro and hit 321 up toward Boone. I've been to the old North Wilksboro track before, my wife's parents live there, it makes for AWESOME pictures in front of all the old ragged "Winston Cup" signs. Plus its a pretty drive up by Boone and that way.

Comment

Personally i think a short route is better, it looks like the tour is being taken over with more and more modern cars and less rods perhaps because the fact is that old cars dont like hammering at 70mph to make the venue because its a 400mile journey.

Perhaps Family events finally figured this as i notice this year most days were a reasonable mileage.

I think the length of the routes in previous years is the reason a lot of people take the shortest journey and arrive early.

I dont want to be stuck in traffic for 5 hours i want to see the venue and then RELAX as after all this is a vacation

Comment

They said on Friday when they announced Concord, Wisc. Dells, and Charleston that the tour would start on June 7 next year.
                            1968 Torino - DOHC 4.6L/T56 swap project
                            2011 CTS-V Wagon - TR-6060 equipped

Comment

I would love to see a Bristol stop again next year, that was my all time favorite stop (2009).

Comment

Concord
                                Bristol
                                Charleston
                                Dayton
                                South Bend
                                Rockford
                                Wisconsin Dells

Workable

Looking at things more, I think there will probably be a stop between Concord and Charleston, it gets difficult to put in enough stops with any reasonable distance between them if you try to put 4 stops between Charleston and Wisconsin Dells. Then again, there is usually a stop you would never guess some where along the tour route.

Comment

Working...
                                X