Power tour cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power tour cost?

So me and a couple friends are considering making the tour for '14. Basic question from his wifey- whats it gonna cost?

excluding fuel, whats the tour generally run you guys? Im trying to add it up in my head, but Im sure theres variables Im missing- food, fuel, motels, attractions, registration, hookers, tickets...
    Local person
    sigpic

I spend about $2000.00 a year - if you share rooms and gas you'd cut your cost of course. My truck gets 17 MPG so about $700 of that was gas.
    Phil / Omaha

Comment

In MY opinion - you are going to have to figure this one out for yourself based on your habits.

Are you going to stay in the Marriott or Motel 6?
      Are you going to eat at Texas Road House or McDonalds?
      Do you drink premium liquor in large quanties or sip on a beer or two each night?

Personally I spend the most on gas, followed by hotels, followed by other stuff (including liquor) and the lowest expenses are on food.

Comment

That's right, you do get free food from time to time. But then I haven't been on the PT for 2 years. Is there any free food (lunch stop or BBQ) anymore?
        Jim T
        Supercar Collectibles
        www.Supercar1.com

Comment

I'm going '14 god willing with my health, and I'm gonna tuff it and camp, unless I find someone to share hotel rooms with.
          hotels tend to have rate adjustments when an event like this one is rolling through town..
          you figure on avg 150.00 a night hotel x 7 days if not 8 depending if you plan on making the trip down to N.C. and then starting off on the tour on no sleep. and then driving home on none.. my mapquest miles came to about 3100 miles "guessing" with some of the rumored stops, could go up from there once they have them all set in stone.. so playing it safe 3100miles at 15mph=206.67 gallons @ 4.00 gallon=826.6666 call it 830.00 in fuel this was my play it safe math fuel might be cheaper than 4 buck a gallon and I should get better than 15 mpg.. but this is a safe amount. then you have food, beer, ticket bail and in case it breaks stash..
          splitting the hotel bills and a co-driver will drop the cost.. Don't forget the trinkets you'll most likely pick up in a few states. that can add a c note if anyone in your group can't pass a yard sale you're in deep do do.
          iirc You are in N.Y. so you're miles should be about the same, a tad longer to the start and a tad shorter to get back home from the last stop..

Comment

Rooms usually run us about $600-$700 for the tour and whatever we need to get to the starting point and back home again. Gas is usually $1000-$1400 for us. We don't keep track of the food as we are on vacation.
            Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Food is always a variable- hard to say what the local cuisine costs, so you guys might know that better.

Fuel is up in the air because no idea what we would drive- he's in GA, so he is closer to the start, but Im closer to the finish. His cobra and my blown V6 get about the same (mine a bit better), mid-20s. Most likely his cobra so i can be a lazy ass and just fly into atlanta to start :lol:

Do room rates in the venue citis usually end up jacked up on PT week?
              Local person
              sigpic

Comment

Its fairly expensive but as someone said if you have a non spouse passenger you can cut the costs quite a bit. I found the hotels averaged about $100 with some less and some a bit more but I was not staying in motel 6 either. Gas varies depending on what you use, i.e. premium/regular and what kind of mileage the car gets. Since I'm out west and drove about 6300 miles round trip over the two weeks i dropped about $3000.
                Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Rusty - Here are my totals going with my wife this year:

Hotels
                  – 10 Nights - $1,709

Gas – 239 Gallons – Avg $3.58/gal – 16.5 MPG over 3,957 miles

Misc expenses - $1,050 - $105/day

Total Power Tour Expenses $3,600 (not including car prep)

I went with a buddy in 03, 04, and 05. We took one car (switched each year, his & mine) and split expenses (hotel & gas) 50/50. We were probably close to $1,500 each. Very reasonable IMHO for 9-10 days.
                  Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                  79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by RustyRodder View Post
                    Do room rates in the venue citis usually end up jacked up on PT week?
                    Yes
                    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                    74 Nova Project
                    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                    79 Chevy Truck Project
                    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

We had an offer of a 0% (on purchases for a year) credit card this spring so I decided to take it & use it exclusively for the PT. Just to see what we would spend. Our total was around $2200. That said, we do treat it like a vacation but try to split the difference, so to speak, on expenses.

We get our room reservations early so we never pay over $100 per night on rooms. If we can't get into anywhere reasonable (think Muskeegon here) we just move on down the next days route a ways until we can. We eat a big (free) breakfast at the hotel & skip lunch & just snack until supper. Then we usually eat good at supper. Like I said, for us it is vacation. The Malibu takes premium & the gas is what it is so I do not worry about it. What usually runs us up a bit is getting there & back. Being in the middle of the country we usually end up with another night coming & going plus gas.
                      ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

I have done accommodation for the entire week for $10 a night staying at state parks in a tent, you can also use KOA depends how budget you want the tour to be. My crew always use KOA and have a blast with a fire every night. Food is cheap if your cooking yourself. The tour is what you make it at the end of the day and can cost as little or as much as you want

Comment

We usually stay in Comfort Inns and make our reservations as far in advance as possible and as 67 Malibu does, go to the next town on the route if we need to. This year,Our motel cost for 9 nights was $851.00. We live about half way between Concord and Arlington and our gas bill was $540. We don't count food cost because we normally eat out when we are at home.
                          Last edited by smalblock; September 20, 2013, 06:46 PM.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

the last 2 years it has been around $2000 for the trip. my dad goes with me and we split the rooms & gas. if i remember right last year hotels were $900 for the week (all HIE) and gas was around $1000 (93 octane) for the trip. we usually eat breakfast at the hotel. we stop at a wal mart and pack a cooler for lunches soda, water, lunch meat, chips, and we eat some where when we get to the hotel for the night. we got to eat supper at the hot rod bus a couple nights. we have had a great time and we are looking forward to '14.

Comment

2014 PT with our 1962 Rambler Classic SW.
                              My partner in crime and I shared expences.
                              Denver to Detroit to Dallas to Denver 4500 miles
                              Most expensive hotel was in Warren MI $81
                              Least expensive Caseyville Il $47.
                              Made resevations online a few weeks before event.
                              Total cost $553 includes two nights on the road from Denver. $61+ average for rooms.
                              We did a straight thru drive Dallas to Denver on Sunday after the event.
                              We averaged 20mph and spent $464 on gas. About $46 a day for gas.
                              We have been on the 2010 and 2012 PT
                              The hotels we booked were not the best or the worst.
                              Our cost for the 2010 PT was much higher for gas getting about 11mph with the 1973 401V8 Gremlin.
                              Like many others we dont count food .

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X