Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL - Did You Attend Driver's Meetings or Skip 'Em ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL - Did You Attend Driver's Meetings or Skip 'Em ?

OK, this seems to be an interesting spin-off point about the tour.

Vote and see the results ..
    .. attended only one Driver's meeting
    0%
    .. attended more than one Driver's meeting, but not all of them
    0%
    .. attended EVERY Driver's meeting
    0%
    .. did NOT attend ANY Driver's meetings
    0%

Re: POLL - Did You Attend Driver's Meetings or Skip 'Em ?

We went to the one in Lincoln....wanted to see what went on, and how it went. It really wasn't bad, but within 30 miles you couldn't tell there had been one. Everyone scattered like a covey of quail........
    We enjoyed getting on the road earlier, and just hooked up with whoever we came across. Hopefully next year we'll have runnin' mates out of the hotel. (read 'other carjunkies'). ;D
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

We didn't go to any this year. Leaving Cleveland last year left a sour taste.
      I R Bob
      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I attended the first one, then 2 more after that. We had one person in our group who meet up with us in Kansas, so we attended that meeting so he could see what went on. Then one other when they talked about the flooding, and the detours.
        It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

We went to a couple - first, for Jim to experience them since we didn't attend any last year and secondly, to get updates on routing (we were burned after Evansville last year.)
          Springfield's rain washed out that one for us. Topeka night before was late so we slept in. Lincoln morning was spent in Omaha with friends. Ames was again too wet. Went to Little Rocka and Rochester (and got that useful routing information about Wisconsin ;)) ...
          First year I went to about first two then skipped others since I didn't get a lot from them. I did meet Gary and Kenny Killeen at very first one in Orlando and other Long Haulers and Forum Freaks at others so intend to repeat attendance at future tours. You become great friends in a short time.
          John

Long Haul 2006, '07, '08, '11 Somerset & Bristol '09; Chattanooga '10; Birmingham & Chattanooga '13

Comment

we skipped Springfield due to rain
            we skipped Ames as we stayed in Storey & it meant a 30 drive back to the venue only to drive by our hotel on the way out
            should have skipped Rochester if we had we would have done the route & missed 2 1/2 hr traffic jam
            2007 Power Tour Long Haul
            2008 Power Tour Long Haul
            2009 Canadian Points East Tour
            2009 Power Tour Michigan Stop
            2011 Power Tour Muskegeon & Detroit Stops
            2012 Power Tour Long Haul
            2012 Northeast Rod Run
            2013 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

Originally posted by 55lincoln
              should have skipped Rochester if we had we would have done the route & missed 2 1/2 hr traffic jam
              Bruce
              Being from the great white north perhaps you don't understand the true American spirit - challenge authority. :o
              We went to the driver's meeting in Rochester and decided that they (HotRod) didn't have a clue and we weren't going to drive all the way on the freeway so we went with the original route and had a great time.

Comment

We didn't go to the driver's meeting and drove the route, had very little trouble. If I wanted to drive freeways, I would have stayed in California :D

Comment

No drivers meetings for me, basically a waste of time with some misinformation given out, such as "don't drive the route to Madison".
                  "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

i didn't go to any of the meetings. i had planned on doing some just to see what goes on but decided not to make any.

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopZ28
                      i didn't go to any of the meetings. i had planned on doing some just to see what goes on but decided not to make any.
                      Two benefits to the meetings:

1) another chance to get to talk to other junkies (forced confinement) and get to learn more about them

2) another chance to see other junkies' cars up close that I might not have seen before.

Can I tell what the official news at any of the meetings was about - no of course not - I wasn't paying attention
                      a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

The last one I went to was in Orlando. Got there too late to hear any announcments but since I was parked two rows from the back I did manage to get caught in the CF. The only other ones that I have attended was Nashville in '03 and Lincoln in '02. Had my lifetime fill of Doc Riley with a bull-horn.
                        Non-denominational car nut.
                        Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
                        Do you go all the way?

Comment

I wish they would bring back Doc!

Comment

We did not make any driver's meetings. We joined different groups on different days. We drove most of the route but we also made a few detours of our own. We met quite a few of the junkies at the hotels and at the venues.

Comment

Mixed emotions here-went to first so our newbie friends could feel the "buzz",skipped rest,missed tip about washed out race track in Cedarfalls(3 hour detour,but "making up time" was a blast!),sorry we listened to Madison advice as well,one long,hot parking lot on freeway for 2 hours!Oh well,that all just adds to stories! ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X