Install Cruise Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Cruise Control

I am looking to install cruise control on my '71 cutlass. Anyone know what brands are available. Spoke with someone in Little Rock and I think they said they put an Audiovox? unit on.
    Donna
    Williamston, MI
    Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Re: Install Cruise Control

Place one of these on the gas pedal. Cheap, effective, easy to install and environmentally friendly. What more could you ask for? ;D

Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Mike-
      I installed a MicroCruise IV from Rosta Precision Controls. This unit came from J C Whitney and it works well. It uses two magnets attached to the driveshaft beneath the driver with a pickup coil mounted to floorboard. The cruise control itself is mounted on fender and has lead to the throttle at the carb. A vacuum line connection, a tach connection, and leads thru the firewall to dash for power, brakes and controls complete the installation.

I think the cost was ~$190 but it is complete microprocessor controlled kit. I did have some issues getting the dip switches set correctly, but after a half hour of playing with it all worked well. It kept within 2 mph thru all the hills of AR and MO.

My Buick is similar to your Olds. The control clamps onto the turnsignal switch and has the accel / resume and coast features of the current systems. I think the processor is the same as on new cars for they make aftermarket systems for all new automobiles too.

Check out Whitney's catalog. Search for cruise controls and look at their offers.
      John

Long Haul 2006, '07, '08, '11 Somerset & Bristol '09; Chattanooga '10; Birmingham & Chattanooga '13

Comment

My cruise control is my wife, she does a fine job of keeping it within the speed limit. ;D
        It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by NMCA_Ron
          Place one of these on the gas pedal. Cheap, effective, easy to install and environmentally friendly. What more could you ask for? ;D

Ron
          Perfect. 8)
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr
            Originally posted by NMCA_Ron

Ron
            Perfect. 8)
            You should have told me sooner. It may not look as good as a locking throttle cable, but easier to install and remove. Could also be used as parking brake, universal door lock "key", etc.
            Donna
            Williamston, MI
            Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

Thanks John, I'll check that one out.
              Donna
              Williamston, MI

Comment

Can also be used in your toilet tank to reduce water usage when you're not using it as a cruise control!

Comment

Originally posted by Solsticefun
                  My cruise control is my wife, she does a fine job of keeping it within the speed limit. ;D
                  Mine too, She sounds off loudly when triple didgets appear on the digital speedo. ;D ;D ;D
                  Living the dream!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbuds1
                    Mine too, She sounds off loudly when triple didgets appear on the digital speedo. ;D ;D ;D
                    Perhaps you need to protect your wife from the trauma associated with that information by making it harder to observe from the right seat :

Comment

The darn GPS gives me away ;D
                      It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Working...
                      X