Did you see your 'keeper'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you see your 'keeper'?

Everybody has a 'keeper' in their past. You know, a car or truck you loved, but had to get rid of for some reason or another....
    The PT08 was loaded with vehicles, and you may have seen your 'keeper' during the run. Here's a place to post a picture, and the story of how/why you had to give up 'the best car you ever had'.

Mine was a '65 Impala SS 396.
    New wife couldn't handle the 4-speed. Soon, a new baby.....couldn't afford to keep it and buy a 'family car'......you know the rest. Saw some beauties on the PT:

Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Re: Did you see your 'keeper'?

Glad I have kept mine. Bought in in '87.

I plan on keeping it forever.
    Non-denominational car nut.
    Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
    Do you go all the way?

Comment

Man, what style...good lines, color is perfect, just looks like it's itchin' for a long run....oh, nice car too! ;D

Beautiful car, no kiddin. 8)
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Mine was a 67 Pontiac LeMans w/ Sprint 6 package. GTO lookalike but I put Lucas Square8 driving lights where GTO's had turn signals. I bought for $1700 in '68, then drove the car 5 years, 120,000 miles and sold it for $500.
        Wife could not drive it for the clutch was competition and she could not shift. Had to get rid of it due to 10.75:1 compression and lack of premium fuel in rural Illinois.
        Have looked for a replacement since but the Sprint 6 was a limited production engine and most went into Firebirds.
        John

Long Haul 2006, '07, '08, '11 Somerset & Bristol '09; Chattanooga '10; Birmingham & Chattanooga '13

Comment

The picture is actually from the 2007 Power Tour, but I saw it again this year. It is a 1968 El Camino. I had one years ago. I traded it for a SS Nova. The worst mistake that I ever made. I have always regreted that trade.

I have been looking for another 68 El Camino since. I just cannot talk my wife into turning loose of the money when I do find a good one.
          1964 Chevelle
          Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
          LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

My very first car was a 65 Mustang Conv. still wish I had that one. When I went into the service my dad sold it on me, and believe me while my dad was still alive I would remind him about how I wish I still had that car. ;D
            It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by 68_GS_400
              Mine was a 67 Pontiac LeMans w/ Sprint 6 package. GTO lookalike but I put Lucas Square8 driving lights where GTO's had turn signals. I bought for $1700 in '68, then drove the car 5 years, 120,000 miles and sold it for $500.
              Wife could not drive it for the clutch was competition and she could not shift. Had to get rid of it due to 10.75:1 compression and lack of premium fuel in rural Illinois.
              Have looked for a replacement since but the Sprint 6 was a limited production engine and most went into Firebirds.
              Hey John, you could build one! It would take some research and serious looking, and probably have to add a "0" to all the dollar numbers, but it could be done....... ;D
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

I have to agree with dand38.......that El Co is one sweet ride. I remember it well in Memphis in 2007 it was parked next to us on the Beale Street Cruise that night. I rode in with my friend David Sanchez with Brent in his big 62 Chevy Wagon....we ate the "Flying Saucer" that night. We liked it so much we ate at the "Flying Saucer" again in Little Rock the next night at the Riverwalk ;D

That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Ed,
                  I've been looking at Hemmings for two years now. Also, search Classic Car Trader and other similar on line sites. Found one but it was rust. Of course, the LeMans are being converted into GTO clones so their price keeps going up. I look forward to Hemming's Muscle Car doing a feature article on these.

The engine is rare and I never see a ad for them. Pontiac built their own overhead cam head to go on Chevy six block (it still had a place for cam inside block!) The Sprint had larger valves, which actually caused problems for at 24,000 miles it needed a valve job due to overheating. A nice four quadrajet barrel sat on a special intake manifold and split cast iron headers fed exhaust to a single pipe.

Other features of the Sprint 6 package were a handling suspension and some low impact markers on fenders. They were sleepers, and cheap, for about $200 over the base 6. With 215 hp from 230 ci rating, the car had plenty of 'get up and go.'

Mine had the Saginaw 4 speed which reduced a problems at 35 mph commutes of carboning. While at Ohio State I had friend with 68 Sprint but 3 speed. His carboned up much more than mine for 35 mph was too high for 2nd and lugged some in third.

Fun to drive and fairly economical: 19 mpg on the road; 16-17 around town.
                  John

Long Haul 2006, '07, '08, '11 Somerset & Bristol '09; Chattanooga '10; Birmingham & Chattanooga '13

Comment

John, I sent you a pm.
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Always liked early 70's torino-guy here had a grabber orange rag,428/4 spd alot of years ago now(15+-),had it for sale for 5500.00,and it was cherry.It might as well have been a million at that point in my world,but I've always thought that car was a keeper! :-\

Comment

I don't really have a keeper from the cars I've had until lately. Just about all mine were garbage. Now if it's a dream car, it would be the one the Mom and Dad brought me home from the hospital in when I was born. A Nightwatch Blue 65 GTO convertible. One day I will have one. ;)
                        I R Bob
                        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I've bought and sold and built and sold many cars and trucks over the years, but I still have my keeper. It's a blue '49 Chevy Fleetline that I bought in 1987. I paid $400 and it ran and I saved it from the crusher. It needed floor and trunk, fender heels, inner and outer rockers, lower door skins and frames, quarter and lower rear fender patches, and a new tail pan. I saved and farmed out and worked on it from '87 until 1994. It's been all over the southeast and the last two Power Tours.

I'm currently building a '67 F-100, a '67 Custom 500 (Galaxie 2-door post) and a 1947 Pontiac Streamliner, but I don't ever see selling the Fleetline.

Comment

Yep I was driving it. 1969 Camaro RS/Z-28

Comment

Good for you Lawrence. Hang onto it no matter what! 8)
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Working...
                              X