Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solsticefun's Swear-In Ceremony

Originally posted by Solsticefun
    Off to ballgame in St. Louis to watch my nephew get sworn into the Navy before the game.
    Originally posted by White Monster
    Jim, that sounds like a great family day out.
    Does he already have a training program (rating) agreed ?
    Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
    Ah... DEP swear-ins. Great recruiting publicity builders for all the services. Who did yours?
    Jim,

How did the swear-in ceremony at the St. Louis stadium go ?

Got any pics ?

.. bet you all had a great time.
    btw - did the Cards win ?

Re: Solsticefun's Swear-In Ceremony

Originally posted by Solsticefun
    Off to ballgame in St. Louis to watch my nephew get sworn into the Navy before the game.
    Jim, that sounds like a great family day out.
    Does he already have a training program (rating) agreed ?
    Ah... DEP swear-ins. Great recruiting publicity builders for all the services. Who did yours?
    Jim,

How did the swear-in ceremony at the St. Louis stadium go ?

Got any pics ?

.. bet you all had a great time.
    btw - did the Cards win ?
    The swear in ceremony was really good, but not so well for his mom, you know how that goes. No the cards lost, but really didn't see much of the game, because we were all chatting and saying our good byes. I'm really proud of my nephew for taken this giant step. I may have pics later, all I took was video but my sister in law did take snap shots.
    It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

He off to Great Lakes or San Diego ?

Comment

He is off to Great Lakes. That is the only boot camp left for the Navy now. I went there 30 years ago.
        It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

I got to go to San Diego for boot camp, but went to Great Lakes for 'A' school.

Comment

I also went there for my A school. I went to Corps. school there. I talked with the Commanding officer of the base, and he said it really has changed over the year. It now sounds like a summer camp instead of boot. I was there in 73, when were you there?

Comment

Both my Father and my brother were corpsman. Brother got stuck in the Fleet Marines out of Camp Lejeune (not that there's anything wrong with that) ;D

I was in San Diego late '77 and Great Lakes early '78 and finished training to go to the Fleet by '79.
              Got to Charleston, SC and reported in, only to be told, "Your ship is in the Mediterranean".
              So I got to play TDY before being sent on to my ship for the rest of the Med Cruise, and what an experience that was.

I always wondered why they call it a cruise ?
              ???

Comment

Hehehe.... squid talk....

Doesn't take long for things to change though, I laugh at how easy my old basic has become and that was just 9yrs ago.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Yea, Steve I just like your brother got to play with the Marines for about a year, then went back to Great Lakes to finish out my time. I was never on a ship, wish I could have.

Comment

Hehehe.... squid talk....

Doesn't take long for things to change though, I laugh at how easy my old basic has become and that was just 9yrs ago.
                    Yea, like I said before I talked with the Commanding Officer of the Recruit Training Center, and the way he talked it sounded like a summer camp. When I was in the Vietnam war was going on so I guess they had to be tough on us. When I took my field med training at Camp Peneldton(sp), they were really tough on us there.

Comment

I was at Great Lakes in '70. First night was Jan 6th, about 15 below zero.

Comment

I was active duty Navy 69-74 - most of time in San Diego on subs and tin cans. I visited there recently and it is strange to see NTC as an industrial / office park! That area has really changed.
                        My tour buddy (hoofhearted), Jim spent most of his Navy days at Great Lakes since he was DERT even back then. He too basically was never on a ship in his entire career.
                        John

Long Haul 2006, '07, '08, '11 Somerset & Bristol '09; Chattanooga '10; Birmingham & Chattanooga '13

Comment

Working...
                        X